My 8100 mile 76 LTD, the Olde Wing

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: My 8100 mile 76 LTD, the Olde Wing

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

This is great story, and you're really making progress. Keep on it. I'm eagerly watching.

No side panels or shelter covers? Or perhaps you have them squirreled away in a box, where they are in pristine condition.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

Of course, with any machine that has languished in a barn for 15 years, it's (1) going to be filthy (2) won't run and (3) likely won't cooperate in being moveable! The latter was very true for this moto..... I had help from the seller to get it into the U-Haul in Cincy, but when I arrived in GA it was really tough getting this thing to roll off the trailer and into my workshop.

The tires were mostly flat on the trailer and I knew they were dead.... but what I didn't know (but should have suspected) was the brakes were almost frozen on the rotors making it near impossible to roll.

First the filth was cleaned away.... and second tires/brakes had to come off:

I guess its written into the gearhead DNA.... we have to tear things down to a basement level, so we KNOW what a mess we've got. Binders were frozen, tires were shot. When I removed both wheels I learned that these GL1's are a "wee bit tipsy" when sitting on just the center stand and a scissor jack! I decided to get some new shoes for the Olde Wing and make it easy to move about the shop as the project proceeded.

Funny, when I took the rims and new Bridgestone Battleax tires into the local moto shop, the owner (boomer, a bit older than me but not much) knew immediately what I had! Surprised me.... but I guess the gold colored rims were rather unique in that period. He commented that my rims were in really good shape, so he guessed it was a lower mile bike. She sure looks better and more confident with the new shoes on:

Now I have stabilized the footing for the machine, a much better platform to proceed from. The saddle that came with the LTD was in surprisingly good shape, and even tho it's not a proper HONDA seat, I'm going to keep it. The wife swears she will ride on this machine so I want a nice cushion for her. This company Le Pera is now exclusively making Harley saddles, but obviously they once made them for the Wings.

Next, we dive into the brakes.
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

Looking good!
DET17 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:19 pm snip
Next, we dive into the brakes.
I spy quite a few quarts of Brake Fluid already perched on the floor behind the project ;)
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

NotSoLilCrippseys wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:38 pm No side panels or shelter covers? Or perhaps you have them squirreled away in a box, where they are in pristine condition.
Got 'em all. Not quite pristine.... I'm good with vintage. The original pin striping has scratches here and there, but I'm not touching that patina!

This won't be a "chalk mark" restoration..... I'm not that guy. I will however keep it true to the original GL1 design intent, with all the LTD badges & colors flying. I plan to upgrade the front brakes with a modern master and steel hoses, Vesrah semi-metallic pads, keep the Le Pera custom saddle, and probably get the exhaust headers metalized. Other than that, she will stay pretty stock. Did I forget to mention the best looking set of side crash bars & highway pegs? The ones it came with were hideous and have been recycled......
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

gltriker wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:30 pm I spy quite a few quarts of Brake Fluid already perched on the floor behind the project ;)
Guilty! That was my 12 year collection of used fluid from various automotive projects. I realized they didn't look great in my Olde Wing pics, so they were all recycled last week. I'm actually taking 5 gallons of ATF tomorrow!
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

The BT46 will last many many miles. I have one with over 13k and it still looks great.
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Wow, outstanding wheels. Rare to find LTD wheels with that much gold still on them.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

Brakes! Gotta' have them, no doubt.

As my LTD had sat for 15 years, the brakes were non-functional all around. As stated, she was near impossible to roll as received, until the brakes were removed. I'm rebuilding this machine from the back end forward, so we start there:

Disassembled the rear system (easy access with no fuel tank). The caliper piston was frozen and the rear master was locked up solid. I soaked both master and slave (caliper) in PB Blaster for several days, but no joy. Compressed air wouldn't budge the brake piston, and I had heard of the "grease gun" method on other forums. With some research, I learned that the Euro grease guns typically use an M10 x 1.25 thread (tapered, but will engage our bike's straight M10 thread for one turn, just enough). Ordered a German made PRESSOL nice quality gun, and used the much higher pressure generation of the incompressible grease to drive the pistons out:

Of course, with a pair of opposed pistons, one is going to move at a higher pressure than the other (Murphy). Some mechanical "restraint' is necessary to delay the first one to move in order to free the other:

With proper persuasion, both pistons were freed. They still hung in the bore near end of stroke, but an overnight soaking of PB blaster and they came out the next day. Looking close at the pics, one can see the corrosion circumferentially around the piston was at the entrance to the aluminum bore, outside of the piston seal. Lesson learned, soak the outside areas FIRST:

Once the rear caliper assembly was disassembled, it was clear the pistons were corroded and that new eplacements would be needed. Found a eBay seller who had German made T3 stainless.... and ordered a set. I'd already purchased rebuild kits for both the caliper and master..... just needed to get everything CLEAN. The master is next.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Perhaps a blessing that they were froze as best to full rebuild after 50 years. Good progress.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

A big headache saver here - reinstall the tank BEFORE the rear master.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
NotSoLilCrippseys
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by NotSoLilCrippseys »

Nice documentation of the brake progress. If you're seeing your bike more as a reliable ride than a restoration, you might consider going with stainless lines. I turned to Raymond at Apex, someone others have used, for a custom line on the '79 build I have going. I gave him some details and he worked it up with no trouble. He was quick, good, and easy to work with - and very reasonably priced. I found him via eBay, but I could PM you the email address he sent me when I contacted him there.
Avatar is a summer '21 photo of the Blue Phoenix, our 1983 GL1100I rescue gone naked.

In the Stable and Ridable
1992 ST1100 - my longer haul tourer
1992 XJ600S - son's streetfighter
1987 VFR700 - son's latest, in blue/silver
1983 - GL1100I - naked Blue Phoenix (son's, really)
1982 GL1100I - naked bagger Cabernet
1979 GL1000 - Ginger Lynn, but not that Ginger Lynn (Wing and a Prayer)
1978 CB550K - son's cafe (carb issues still vex)

Active Project(s)
1979 GL1000 - Confirmed one owner, with original paperwork. Vetter fairing and bags, off the road in dry, heated storage for 35 years.

Sold
Not lookin' back to avoid regrets
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

pidjones wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:03 pm A big headache saver here - reinstall the tank BEFORE the rear master.
Thanks! I just test fit my old original tank, with the rear master removed... and it's mighty tight with it out! I'll remember hopefully to leave it out until my tank goes in for good.
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

NotSoLilCrippseys wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 pm Nice documentation of the brake progress. If you're seeing your bike more as a reliable ride than a restoration, you might consider going with stainless lines. I turned to Raymond at Apex, someone others have used, for a custom line on the '79 build I have going. I gave him some details and he worked it up with no trouble. He was quick, good, and easy to work with - and very reasonably priced. I found him via eBay, but I could PM you the email address he sent me when I contacted him there.
I plan to use SS hoses up front. Found a vendor on eBay; "GALFER" is their hose supplier. That seller quotes the front offering at $105 to the door. I did not plan to purchase SS hose for the rear, as we know that the front brakes do 80% of the work or thereabouts. Good suggestion! If you have a direct contact for this fellow outside eBay, please PM it to me.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Apex brakes

http://www.apexbrakes.com/custom.asp?fi ... ines=black

Ask for Raymond, tell him you’re with NGW

Gord(he won’t hold that against you)Jones
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
DET17
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by DET17 »

With the rear brakes disassembled, they have been completely cleaned and as many parts as I could fit bathed in the U-sonic cleaner tank. Here's what the results are:

With everything cleaned, I polished up the rear caliper slide pins (couldn't find any replacements in the supply chain). While they had a little bit of corrosion, now they are smoothed and greased awaiting install:

After a good bit of web sleuthing, found a reputable source for brake/master piston grease from a BMW bike dealer in Denver. With the JAPAN rebuild kits inhand, it was time to reassemble the rear caliper and master:

I've ordered VESRAH semi-metallic pads all around. I'm contemplating sending my 3 rotors off to TrueDisk LLC for grinding flat.... I've been taught it's best to have fresh metal to properly bed in those semi-metal brakes. One more thang...... when I couldn't get the piston assembly out of the rear master, I learned this trick off a Honda CB forum. It worked! That OE piston steel is hard, so buy a good quality drill bit to get the proper hole drilled for the EZ Out. And yes, I soaked it in PB Blaster for nearly a week before I resorted to the shown method. Bore of the master was in good shape, just filthy.....

Sent the fuel cell and a bunch of misc. steel parts to the local powder coat shop.... hope to have some pics of that work soon.