'77 Wing "Forever Bike"

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

wannabridin
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: '77 Wing "Forever Bike"

Post by wannabridin »

Thanks for the feedback, i'll certainly take note. Vasoline an acceptable o-ring lube? Or should I use the Astroglide method?
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

vasoline can work... However, at work, I have KY :twisted:
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" not ready for prime time,
79 project, finished,
'86 1200 (Beth's) with motorvation sidecar, July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's). I guess you can say we have MBS
wannabridin
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by wannabridin »

I hope you work from home then!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

actually, I am a physician... we get it in industrial sized tubes
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" not ready for prime time,
79 project, finished,
'86 1200 (Beth's) with motorvation sidecar, July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's). I guess you can say we have MBS
wannabridin
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by wannabridin »

Carbs have been rebuilt, awaiting install. Coolant crossover pipes have new o-rings and gaskets awaiting install. Going to take the radiator to a local shop to clean and test it. Front cover is rebuilt and back on. Engine is being cleaned. Dyna coils are mounted. Need to order new tubes and rim strips still and get to cleaning the wheels up some (likely new bearings). Final drive is cleaned up and new lube on the splines and pins, needs new fluid and new grease once installed. Pulled the RLU & headlight resistor to make room for a few relays. Will be going thru all the switches and electrical connectors to clean up and grease them. Need to install the MOFSET R/R and finish up the indicators.

LOADS of small things to do, but they'll all add up to a clean machine with plenty of kinks worked out. Onward...
wannabridin
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by wannabridin »

Hydraulic clutch cover is in, boy was that tight!!

Scored a free portable a/c for the garage (10k btu). It won't get the workspace artic, but it will dry it slightly and help out (even though it's not exactly hot anymore).

Matching Nissin master cylinders are ordered (14mm for clutch, 5/8" for brakes). I think I have another one of the 5/8" brake masters laying around, so if I find it, I'll throw that up for sale.

Modified a spare clutch switch box to fit the aftermarket bars (without internal routing options).

Got the Melbers sold!

Coolant pipes back in w/ new o-rings (dear lord those were a pain to do...)

Final drive just needs new fluid.

Old tires dismounted, tubes and rim strips awaiting install.

Front wheel bearings need replacement.

Ordered new motion pro throttle cables (existing ones were fraying at ends).

Still need to get the new rear brake line.

Lots to do!! Going to take a day or two off soon to try and make some more serious progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fitscott
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by fitscott »

where did you get your Clutch master cylinder from? - Keep up the good work - you're getting close
wannabridin
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by wannabridin »

fitscott wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:49 am where did you get your Clutch master cylinder from? - Keep up the good work - you're getting close
Sunnbobb makes the kits. Shoot him a PM. Comes w/ modified plunger, cleaned up slaver cylinder, cover, gasket & braided line (i went w/ black). You'll need a clutch master cylinder (obviously).

His response last night when I got it installed: "Hahaha, good deal, now the fun can start. I can tell you finding neutral at a stop sign will be much easier, and you will love the control you have over your clutch. No more cable stretch, input from the lever equals action at the clutch."

Clutch MC: https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/51100_MC ... linder.htm

Brake MC: https://www.carpimoto.it/en-US/51095_MC ... linder.htm
fitscott
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by fitscott »

I have the Kit from Sunnbobb which is beautiful but you said you ordered a 5/8 nissin clutch master cylinder and I wondered where from

Return to “Members Restorations and Projects”