1985 GL1200 - Audacious plans

A forum for stories, pics and updates of your resto's. Be it a barn find, Grampas hand me down or a bike being brought back to it's former glory.If you are restoring it, show us your stuff!

Moderators: Brant, Sagebrush, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: 1984 GL1200 - Audacious plans

Post by ericheath »

Check your regulations out. Where I currently am, the bike has to be registered and inspected pretty much stock. After that it doesn’t get inspected again unless it changes hands. So you can do what you wish as long as it isn’t so radical that an official could see it. You can sell it, but the new owner will need to find a “friendly” inspection mechanic.

There are other ways to do it with Custom Bike Shoos with certifications to do it . $$$$$$$
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
killswitch
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by killswitch »

ericheath wrote:Check your regulations out...
Yes after some more thought on the subject, you spot on. I've come to the same conclusion from what I've read and asked on local groups in the last 24 hours. Here once you have the registration completed, it's down to your local guy doing the annual MOT (ministry of transport annual roadworthiness test) which only needs to be done for the next 5 years. After that it's exempt due to it being over 40 years old.

Friend of mine gets his bike done from a local place here he's friendly with so going to get to know them anim-cheers1

Besides what I'm doing isn't a lunatic bobber build, so should be ok. Push comes to shove, it'll end up on what's called a Q plate, essentially a kit bike, nothing I'm too concerned about.
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

UKTECH wrote: What length are the rear shocks you have on there?
About 15-1/2".
The lower mounts are almost all the way screwed in, so probably another 1/2" or so can be had.
I wanted to keep it close to the same raise with the forks.
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
killswitch
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by killswitch »

My baby just arrived! dancr dancr dancr
I've not owned nor seen a Goldwing in person before...slightly overwhelming but oh so sweet.
It's dark and wet, will take more pics when weather improves.

Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Pictures lie, but it appears well maintained and the PO said it ran when last parked under its own power lol.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
killswitch
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by killswitch »

Fred Camper wrote:Pictures lie, but it appears well maintained and the PO said it ran when last parked under its own power lol.
:lol: funny you say that, it was running fine... got it home, running fine again, engine was warm. Then turned it off to unlock one of the storage bins, and couldn't get it to start after that. Time between switching off and restarting was about 60 seconds

Plenty of fuel (digital dash showing two bars), battery is new, fuel valve on etc... just wont start. Starter keeps turning but nothing. At first I thought I may have accidentally flooded it so left it 30 mins, then tried again, nothing :cry:

Leaving it overnight and will take a look in the morning, but any ideas what it could be?
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Did the kill switch get bumped ?

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
killswitch
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by killswitch »

RAT wrote:Did the kill switch get bumped ?

Gord
Spent god knows how long stressing about this idiotic problem and not once did I even glance at the switch to actually read the labels. For some reason I assumed it was a two way switch. Thank you for saving me from a sleepless night.

1am bike running like a champ! I hang my head in shame and the avatar is born.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

UKTECH wrote:
RAT wrote:Did the kill switch get bumped ?

Gord
Spent god knows how long stressing about this idiotic problem and not once did I even glance at the switch to actually read the labels. For some reason I assumed it was a two way switch. Thank you for saving me from a sleepless night.

1am bike running like a champ! I hang my head in shame and the avatar is born.
Good call, Rat! action1 action1 action1
Things like this have happened to all of us at one time or another. What sucks is when it happens on a cold, rainy, really dark night, miles from home, on a first ride of a 'new-2-me' bike that one has just spent many hours slaving to get on the road... but I wouldn't know that... :roll: :roll: :roll: lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Some have to use a crutch to start and stop these bikes. STOP is Switch, peTcock,... START is Switch, peTcock, Air (choke) electRicity (kill switch), sTand.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

What REALY sucks is doing it away from home just a few seconds with a known weak battery.

I have kick started mine more than a few times, which is another time you don’t need the kill switch on.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
killswitch
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: 1985 GL1200 - Audacious plans

Post by killswitch »

So finally have a moment to update. First off, thank you to Whiskerfish for changing my forum id. I think it's more fitting with recent events :lol: :oops:

Swiftly moving on, with some good news! Took the bike for it's very first inspection (MOT here in UK) and it passed with flying colours. Pleasantly surprised as I was expecting a "go away and fix her up" list of things to do. I can now get the registration plates and UK version of a title, which is always helpful.

I also managed to find out more about the bike regs and what I can and cannot do to the frame etc. Turns out they are very lenient, with special thanks to a friendly inspection mechanic. He along with the rest of his colleagues were pleased to see the bike. We discussed what my plans were and he gave plenty of advice, which will eventually make sure it remains road legal - things like pressure testing any modifications to the new tank etc. Modding the frame to add a new tank is not an issue, nor is chopping subframe etc.

Managed to take some pics. My boy discovered how addictive it is to rev the engine:

I also stand corrected on another point... It's an '85 not an '84 as I had wrongly been thinking. Not sure where I got that from but I have corrected title of this thread.

Now for me, this bike is in very good condition, but then who am I to judge...this is the first time I've laid eyes on a GoldWing from that era, let alone take it for a spin. Happy to get any and all feedback. As of this moment, I'm actually feeling really bad about doing what I plan to. I'm loving this more and more in it's current form :|

Where to from here? What should I focus on? Where to begin? I have ideas, plans and aspirations, but I have no issues with taking advice from you guys who clearly know a hell of a lot more than I do. Like another new member recently stated, I have nothing to teach but everything to learn...or something along those lines.
Last edited by killswitch on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Looks to be pretty clean.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Looks like a keeper .... ride this one and find a cheap rough one to customize ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Great Pics. One key difference between the '84 and '85 is the side mirrors, the rubber boot is different. Good score.
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)