cx650 clutch problem possibly? help me please

for those of you that have M.B.S. (multiple bike syndrome) and have the "silver wing" models.
as our sponsors also have supplies for those bikes and they are popular with the "wing" crowd.

Moderators: CYBORG, Oldewing, robin1731, Forum Moderators

theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

cx650 clutch problem possibly? help me please

Post by theplumba »

So I just bought acx650 and I love it but the other day after adding some oil and changing a fuse. While driving it anything over a quater throttle makes it sound like I have the clutch in. This is my primary means of transportation right now so any help would be great
J.C.
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: cx650 clutch problem possibly? help me please

Post by J.C. »

Do you mean that the revs rise but you don't go a lot faster (or as much faster as you should)?

What oil did you use? Any idea when the clutch springs were last changed?
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

The clutch cable needs free play and the large adjustment is at the engine end of the cable and the finer one is at the lever. Hopefully you need to loosen the cable up to end up with some slack at the lever. The discs or springs could be worn out and issue but yours sounds excessive. the wrong oil can aggravate a already weak clutch. Do you have manual for the bike?
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

And ... Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Missourimike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Missourimike »

The reason we all ask about the oil, is that anything under 10-40 will most likely have additives in it, designed to be extra slippery. Being your clutch is bathed in oil, too light an oil will cause it to slip more. Any additives designed to "prolong engine life" will do the same thing.
As for the clutch adjustment...you want at least an eighth of an inch play in the clutch handle, no more than a quarter inch, before the clutch disengages.
The difficult can be done in a day. The impossible takes a little longer, if you don't know it can't be done.
'75 GL YelloWing, '73 Norton Commando, '79 CB750, '80 Fiat Spyder, '83 Silverado w/ BB Cad, to name a few.
'79 Black Hondaline/Vetter bagger Tourer
'76 Yello Café to be
'83 CX650C Needs Work
'83 CX650C #2 Daily Rider
'79 Yamaha XS750
10 others in the project/parts pile
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

RAT wrote:And ... Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Gord
+1 for jc :crosso crossy.gif anim-cheers1 :orange

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=15
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by theplumba »

Thank you all around kid I bought it from said he put the same oil from his diesel in the bike i bought it not running got it running and totally forgot what he said I finally saw it was leaking oil so I called him and he told me it should run fine With The same oil i added another quart and that's when it started i drained that oil out and put 10w-40 in With The wet clutch approved to no avail i tried adjusting the clutch when I first got it inlets out right at the topstill
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

If by the top you mean close to the grip, the cable is too loose .....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by theplumba »

i mean as far away from the grip as possible
theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by theplumba »

salukispeed wrote:The clutch cable needs free play and the large adjustment is at the engine end of the cable and the finer one is at the lever. Hopefully you need to loosen the cable up to end up with some slack at the lever. The discs or springs could be worn out and issue but yours sounds excessive. the wrong oil can aggravate a already weak clutch. Do you have manual for the bike?

no manual for the bike this is the first water cooled bike ive ever owned had a cb350 last year and a triumph bonneville
theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by theplumba »

also anyone know how to drain the cooling system? :flamer
Missourimike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Missourimike »

You added another quart of oil due to a "leak"? How much oil is in there, now? The whole system only uses 3.3 quarts of 10-40, even with a filter change. Drain it and start over. Then check the dipstick to see where the level is at for future reference. If you don't change the filter out, only replace with 3 quarts of oil.
The radiator has a drain plug in the very bottom, at the center of the radiator, pointing straight down. Remove the radiator cap when draining, to break the vacuum it will have.
The difficult can be done in a day. The impossible takes a little longer, if you don't know it can't be done.
'75 GL YelloWing, '73 Norton Commando, '79 CB750, '80 Fiat Spyder, '83 Silverado w/ BB Cad, to name a few.
'79 Black Hondaline/Vetter bagger Tourer
'76 Yello Café to be
'83 CX650C Needs Work
'83 CX650C #2 Daily Rider
'79 Yamaha XS750
10 others in the project/parts pile
J.C.
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by J.C. »

As above... and to remove the radiator cap you'll have to take the seat and tank off. Additionally, there's a coolant drain bolt at the front of each head for draining the water jacket. If you're doing a full flush you need to empty those as well, as it won't all drain via the radiator drain bolt.
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

Missourimike wrote:The reason we all ask about the oil, is that anything under 10-40 will most likely have additives in it, designed to be extra slippery. Being your clutch is bathed in oil, too light an oil will cause it to slip more. Any additives designed to "prolong engine life" will do the same thing.
As for the clutch adjustment...you want at least an eighth of an inch play in the clutch handle, no more than a quarter inch, before the clutch disengages.
1) Its the service rating that matters, not the viscosity. Oil rated SJ should be OK but any higher ratings (the current stuff is mostly SN) contain additives that could make the clutch slip. Oils with a JASO-MA rating (made for diesel engines) do not have the offending additives.
Shell Rotella T (a popular JASO-MA oil) is recommended by many but it only comes in 15W40. When I tried it in my CX650E based machine the starter clutch started skipping so I switches to Rotella T6 (JASO-MA synthetic) which is 5W40.

2) I don't know what you meant to say, but there should be 5-15mm of movement at the end of the clutch lever before the cable starts to pull: The clutch should start to slip when the lever is pulled toward the handlebar about 1/3 of the way to the lever and disengage completely when the lever is pulled about 2/3 of the way to the handlebar.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
theplumba
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: cx650 clutch problem possibly? help me pleaseso

Post by theplumba »

So I came the conclusion that the clutch is whipped. Just waiting for my scumbag boss to pay me and I'm gonna order a new one.

On another note I just started noticing that I'm getting a lot of back firing, sputtering at low mid rpms in lower gears if I hold it there and it shuts off once and a while if I'm at a light. Ran it with the fuel valve on reserve for a couple days. I run 89