Starter Motor Cross over

cross over parts from other wings, hondas, or any other parts sources that can be used on our wings.

Moderators: robin1731, Rat, Forum Moderators

philip
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Starter Motor Cross over

Post by philip »

Hi,

My GL1100 naked (1981) starter motor gave up (I opened up and saw that the commutator was badly grooved) - starter was turning very slow - not sufficient to turn the motor. So I found a partly stripped Goldwing in a scrapyard in Johannesburg. However, it was impossible to gauge model year etc since this bike was a combination between a chopped/rat bike - however it appeared as though it had a GL1000 motor (year unknown). I bought the starter motor off this bike and we tested it - running very well, we opened the starter motor and commutator/brushes in very good condition (much better condition than my GL1100 starter). We compared the 2 starter motors: seem identical, manufacturers markings & motor output etc identical, the only difference was one mounting (mounting to crankcase), but I nevertheless managed to fit to my GL1100 and it works perfectly (bike started about 15 times since and fired every time).

Is this cross over ok? Did anyone experience the same before - anything I should be careful of?
philip
centurion
south africa

1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100 Standard
2004 BMW R1100S Boxercup Replika
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Starter Motor Cross over

Post by Rat »

Should be OK as long as its mounted straight.

Gord :roll:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
CYBORG

Re: Starter Motor Cross over

Post by CYBORG »

the 1000 and 1100 starters are all interchangable in my experience, and will work well in all applications
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200