This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rebelrouser/

Changing Clutch Lever Oil Seal In Bike

Post by RebelRouser »

Hey All I Just Went Through And Replaced My Clutches, Got Everything All Good For The Road, Oil Change, Carb Cleaning & Sync, Tune Up, Valve Adjustment, Tank Cleaning, And I Find An Oil Leak Under My Bike... Come To Find Out It Is From The Clutch Lever Oil Seal, So Per The Sudjestion Of Frenchy, I Am Giong To Take You Through An On The Bike Seal Replacement....

Put Your Bike Up On The Center Stand, Or If Like Me No Center Stand, Block The Bike Up To Give Yourself Room To Work.

Remove Your Dust Cover, Check That It Is Not Bent Or Out Of Shape, Check The Rubbers For Damage, Weather Cracking & Sleves Are Still Intact, Check That The Bolts Are Not Striped

Remove Dust Cover Seal, And Clean Seal Surface Aswell As Inside The Clutch Lever Area, Look To Make Sure Nothing Is Broken Or Damaged.

If Cover Seal Is This Bad, Trow Away, If Not Keep And Reuse, Getting Harder To Get These Seals All By Them Selves

Remove The Adjustment Lock Nut And Washer, Observe Where The Threads Were So Yo Have A Good Idea If Your Clutch Adjustment Is Close To Where You Started, Remove The Spring, Replace If Streached Out

Remove The Clutch Lever Exposing The Seal, Check The Lever For Damage And Also To See If The Cup At The Top Is Bent Out Of Shape, Don't Want the Clutch Cable Poping Free

Use A Steel Pick To Pop The Seal Out Of The Clutch Cover

New Clutch Lever Seal, You Can Go To Honda And Pay Through The Nose For One Little Seal, You Can Wait on Cresent Moon Or Any Other Retailer To Get You One (not a dig), Or You Can Do As I Did, Go To Napa And Get One, The New One Is One MM Bigger In The Width, Otherwise It Is A Perfect Match. Part Number 5410, Trans Seal, List Price 6.40, SKF Is The Brand Of Seal And The Measurements Are 14x24x6 (x6 being the mm biger the stock part is x5), The Extra MM Is Nothing To Worry About, You Have Penty Of Clearence Between The Seal When Seated And The Clutch Lever. Install Your Seal With A Socket of The Same Size, A 3" Extension And A Small Hammer, Seat The Seal Firmly In The Clutch Cover.

Reinstall The Clutch Lever, Washer And Lock Nut, And Spring. Adjust Teh Clutch By Loosening The Clutch Cable Adjustment On The Right Side Of The Motor (just under the tringular motor mount), And The Slack Adjuster On The Clutch Control On The Handle Bars. Back To The Clutch Lever And Adjustment, Tighten The Center Screw In Till You Feel Resistance, Then Back The Screw Out 3/4 Of A Turn And Lock The Lock Nut Down (can be done with a 12mm wrench and a good blade screwdriver), Do Not Let The Center Screw Move Or You Will Have To Readjust. Readjust And Lock Down The Clutch Cable Adjustment Till You Have Very Little Free Play In The Handle, And Then Adjust And Lock Down The Slack Adjuster. Fire Up The Bike And Test The Clutch And Adjustment, See If You Have Any Leaks, If Good Then As I Perfer To Do Grease Everything In The Clutch Lever Area That Moves.

Grease The Dust Cover Seal And I Perfer To Make Sure That The Grease Stays In There For A While, Like Trailer Wheel Bearings, I Pack The Cover, Also Grease The Rubber Bolt Seals To Keep Them From Tearing From Friction When Reinstalled.

Reintall Dust Cover And Clean Up Area, And Enjoy Your Ride....
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Changing Clutch Lever Oil Seal In Bike

Post by octane »

Thanks RR!

Just a couple of things thing:
RebelRouser wrote:....
New Clutch Lever Seal, You Can Go To Honda And Pay Through The Nose For One Little Seal, You Can Wait on Cresent Moon Or Any Other Retailer To Get You One (not a dig), Or You Can Do As I Did, Go To Napa And Get One, The New One Is One MM Bigger In The Width, Otherwise It Is A Perfect Match. Part Number 5410, Trans Seal, List Price 6.40...
The seal is available from Honda as "Superseded" Parts Number
91202-KFL-841
at 3.50Euro = 5 $US

Now the greasing thing.
Allow me to politely disagree.

The is only ONE place where metal is rubbing against metal
and therefore needs lubrication/greasing.

That's where the bracket that holds the cable
rubs against the clutch-activating arm

The bracket pivots about one or two mm,
when the cable is pulled. That's all.
One drop of grease each side of the arm (yellow arrow)
under the bracket, is all you need to lubricate here.

What really baffles me is the
thing with the grease on the cover (?)
Grease tends to stick
where you stuck it.
So why stick grease on the cover.

Da' Supercharged Bulldog

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery
dkrager
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkrager »

Excellent tech article. I have the exact same job that I need to perform on my 78 so this is going to be a big help. Do you happen to have the part number handy for the cover seal? I was looking at a fiche and didn’t see the cover or the seal even shown. I figure I should line one up because knowing my luck mine will be bad and I will be stuck waiting on a part order. Also when you said they were getting harder to find does that mean that they are NLA from mother Honda and they need to be sourced elsewhere?

Thanks,

Dave
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)

Post by RebelRouser »

If Your Asking About The Dust Cover Seal, Honda Says It Is No Longer Available, But I Think Frenchy Can Find It If Given Some Time...
If You Didn't Build It, Customize It, And/Or Modify It, Then It Truly Isn't Yours. Rebel Rouser
dkrager
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkrager »

Yea that would be the one. So I take it that since it’s a “dust coverâ€ÂÂ
RebelRouser
Webmaster (Retired)
Webmaster (Retired)

Post by RebelRouser »

Yup Just A Dust Seal, Dose Not Realy Matter, But If Like Me You Perfer To Keep Grease In There, It Dose Help Keep The Grime Out... But It's All Up To The Personal User
dkrager
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by dkrager »

Here is an interesting turn of events. I went down to Napa’s today to get that seal. As it turned out none of the San Diego Napa’s had it in stock. Yup the price was about $6.00 bucks for the part but they wanted an extra $10.00 to special order it in 3-5 working days. After trying to cross the part over to something else without much luck I finally called my local Honda dealer figuring there was no way the seal would be the $16.00 that Napa wanted. As it turned out they had the seal in stock and it was only $3.75. Go figure?

The part number has been superseded and the new part number is 91202-KFL-841 but it’s the right part. I mic’ed it at the parts counter.

You know what Ill be doing tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Changing Clutch Lever Oil Seal In Bike

Post by octane »

dkrager wrote:.....I finally called my local Honda dealer figuring there was no way the seal would be the $16.00 that Napa wanted. As it turned out they had the seal in stock and it was only $3.75. Go figure?

The part number has been superseded and the new part number is 91202-KFL-841 but it’s the right part.....
Dave I told you so !!!
.-)
octane wrote:Thanks RR!

Just a couple of things thing:
RebelRouser wrote:....
New Clutch Lever Seal, You Can Go To Honda And Pay Through The Nose For One Little Seal, You Can Wait on Cresent Moon Or Any Other Retailer To Get You One (not a dig), Or You Can Do As I Did, Go To Napa And Get One, The New One Is One MM Bigger In The Width, Otherwise It Is A Perfect Match. Part Number 5410, Trans Seal, List Price 6.40...

The seal is available from Honda as "Superseded" Parts Number
91202-KFL-841

at 3.50Euro = 5 $US