The NGW Project Bike.DYNA electronic ignition.How-to INSTALL

This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

GL1-242
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by GL1-242 »

Well sorry for all the questions and confusion. I got it wired up and ran to the stop. It wasn't right and a wasnt getting enough degree so I had to loosen the left side to fine tune it in.
She has never pulled this hard between 3,00 and 6,000. she is running sweet.

Thank's All,

Paul
84 GL1200 STD
75 GL1000 #202
75 GL1000 (AKA, GL1-242)(AKA, Flipper)
76 LTD
76/77 CB750F
Bultaco's = 121, 152, 167, 188
LesTension
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LesTension »

That's great Paul.

I haven't ridden mine yet. It's pretty boring sitting there watching paint dry!

Les
"All Night Dwight" aka LesTension
uglywrench
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by uglywrench »

Great tutorial!!!!!!!
I took my laptop into the garage with me and followed your instructions. Refering to the pictures as I went along. I'm sure that with out them I probably would of managed fine but it may taken me a bit. The Timing Tutorial was also great and a HUGE time saver :-D
Thanx for your efforts.
Uglywrench
Somebody had to try it....
1979 GL1000 Daily Rider
1983 GL1100 Current Project
Silver Bullet
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/SilverBullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

So, I'm memorizing this Dyna Install How-to- Tutorial while I wait for my Dyna Ignition GL '78 to arrive in the mail. The instructions and photos are excellent! I'm a Visual Learner.

But, I'm confused by the photo that shows connecting the Red Dyna Wire to the White/Green Turn Signal Wire. Am I "Tapping" into this Turn Siganal wire then reconnecting it to the signal flasher?

Also, what is the solid green wire in this photo?

Why is this White/Green Turn SIgnal wire the chosen power source? Would the accessory panel above it work as a power source for the new ignition? :-?

I'm guessing that this will all be clear once I recieve my Dyna Directions in the Mail. I just couldn't wait! Thanks for taking the time. :)
[i][color=#FFFF80][color=#FFFF00]Silver Bullet[/color][/color][/i]
1978 GL 1000
1982 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate
http://ngwclub.com/gallery/SilverBullet
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

Silver Bullet wrote:...Why is this White/Green Turn SIgnal wire the chosen power source? Would the accessory panel above it work as a power source for the new ignition? :-?...
it is a switched 12VDC power source, the signals only work when the key is on. yes, the accessory panel will work, that's what I've used. any other steady 12VDC switched source that turns on/off with the ignition switch will work.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

heraldhamster wrote:
Silver Bullet wrote:...Why is this White/Green Turn SIgnal wire the chosen power source? Would the accessory panel above it work as a power source for the new ignition? :-?...
it is a switched 12VDC power source, the signals only work when the key is on. yes, the accessory panel will work, that's what I've used. any other steady 12VDC switched source that turns on/off with the ignition switch will work.
I would assume the green/white wire was chosen for easy accessibility and power only in the "ON" position of the ignition switch. The accessory terminal has power in ON, ACC and PARK positions of the ignition switch.
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Silver Bullet
Chrome Member
Chrome Member
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/SilverBullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

Thanks for your feedback HeraldHamster and RonCar. I like the idea of getting Dyna Power from the Accessory Panel instead of "splicing" into the harness.

Some splices and crimp connections can weaken the wires, look messy and are exposed to moisture like the "Blue-CrimP" supllied with the Dyna Kit.

These "Blue-Crimps" infested my headlight bucket from the previous Vetter Fairing Installation. Many of these spliced wires were partially broken and corroded.

Soldering and Shrink-Wrap cleaned up the connections and left more "elbow room" in the bucket for the reflector 3-prong plug.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that the Accessory Panel works fine for the Dyna power source. :-D
[i][color=#FFFF80][color=#FFFF00]Silver Bullet[/color][/color][/i]
1978 GL 1000
1982 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate
http://ngwclub.com/gallery/SilverBullet
tlday
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Dyna III

Post by tlday »

Octane, I enjoyed your installation procedures until it got to the end where you show a newer Dyna system. I have the old Dyna III system on my bike and was hoping to determine if the installer had set it up correctly. I have a problem with the performance of my 1979 GL1000. It starts and runs, but doesn't seem to have the power it should have under load. I have done a timing belt replacement, compression check, valve adjustment, carb clean Randakk style, and added Seafoam to the fuel to help lubricate and clean the upper engine and carbs. Something just isn't getting through my pea brain here. I surmized that if I had erred in installing the belts, even by one tooth, the valve clearance would have been off by more than a thousandth or two, which it wasn't. I just brought them into spec. because I had the covers off already.
Since the Dyna III has two pickups which can be individually adjusted, I was wondering if one might be a little off, but I really don't know how to check that. I would also like to check the advance mechanism to see if it is operating freely, but I'm afraid to take the Dyna III out of the housing without knowing exactly how it is set up. Maybe I should just take it to a shop and have the timing adjusted by the experts, but from the looks of the screws on this mechanism, somebody has already tinkered with it too much already. However, I am encouraged by the compression which checks 170-180 and the accuracy with which the valves had been adjusted, and the fact that the bike only has 29,000 miles on it. That all leads me to believe the problem is either in the timing advance or the timing itself.
Any hints?
Govnrs Dream

"The more I know, the more I know I don't know" I'm always eager to learn more.

"T. Day"
Oxford, OH 45056
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Dyna III

Post by octane »

tlday wrote:Octane, I enjoyed your installation procedures until it got to the end where you show a newer Dyna system. I have the old Dyna III system on my bike ................

.....Since the Dyna III has two pickups which can be individually adjusted, I was wondering if one might be a little off, but I really don't know how to check that...
The DYNA in my above pictorial does have individual adjustment
for the two pick-ups.

For adjusting please click: DYNA ignition adjustment

...and I'm guessing yours adjust the same way.

I'm a bit confused as to what Dyna you have.
How does yours look different from the one in the pictorial ?
tlday
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Dyna III

Post by tlday »

I have a Dyna III. I don't know how old it is. My brother buoght this bike new in 1979. I assume that he went to the electronic ignition to eliminate the maintenance. The difference I saw was that the holes to lock down the pickus were actually open-ended slots.
Somebody has evidently had a lot of trouble adjusting these because the screw heads are all gnawed up. I'm going to replace them today. But I still don't know how to make the adjustments to get this timing just right. I do have a timing light and a viewing plug. I guess I'm all set!
Govnrs Dream

"T. Day"
Oxford, OH 45056
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Dyna III

Post by octane »

tlday wrote:I... But I still don't know how to make the adjustments to get this timing just right. I do have a timing light and a viewing plug. I guess I'm all set!
I'm sorry:

I'd like to help but
I'm confused.....please; exactly what part of the adjustment procedure
is it you have problems with ?
tlday wrote:...The difference I saw was that the holes to lock down the pickus were actually open-ended slots....
The Dyna in the linked pictorial does also have open-ended slots.

You sure it''s a Dyna III?
..does it have a small black box somewhere?
Those were (as far as I know. I could very well be wrong) not for the GL's.

Here's a link to installation / trouble-shooting guides:

[EDIT]
Click: DYNATECH DOWNLOADS

----> click the "LOOK UP" field
a 'roll-down-curtain' appears --> click DYNA III

.....and you'll find what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by octane on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tlday
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by tlday »

I just took some pictures of my setup. Can I send them to your personal email, or can I post them here somehow?
Govnrs Dream

"T. Day"
Oxford, OH 45056
octane
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by octane »

Here are tlday's photos and text.

Hopefully someone can help, cause I have no idea about
those thingies.

Please; did you check the link to the Dyna-tech downloads above???

There you'll find:
DYNA III Electronic Ignition Troubleshooting Guide
and
DYNA III Electronic Ignition Installation Instructions

which have all the answers as far as I can tell.

"....What I have is a bundle of wires coming out of the Dyna III module, going to the points housing. There is a red wire, white wire, and a black wire going to the pickups. There is a yellow wire and a blue wire also coming from the Dyna III module and they are going to (a yellow wire with a blue stripe) and (a blue wire with a yellow stripe) respectively. I am assuming that the striped wires are coming from the coils...."
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

The 76 I just sold had the same system. It is just an older Dyna. Use the same process to do the Timing. I do it static by hooking up a test meter or light where the wires from the Dyna go into the Bikes harness under the LH Side cover.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

WF is correct. The Dyna III was the early version. Then with new technology they were able to put everything on the plate and eliminate the box. Timing procedure is identical.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder