The NGW Project Bike. Timing belts. Removal/installation

This Is Strictly For The "How To" Sticky's

Moderator: Whiskerfish

Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

kitbutterfield wrote:If you're talking about the offset wrench for the generator bolt, I don't know that you absolutely need it.
I didn't have one, when I changed my GL1000 belts.
I think I used a 12mm socket/ratchet.
You also won't have the kick starter to contend with.
Same here I use a ratchet for that and make sure to only rotate it the way the engine normally turns. That means lifting up on the Ratchet to turn the engine.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
DutchPurrpl

Post by DutchPurrpl »

kitbutterfield wrote:If you're talking about the offset wrench for the generator bolt, I don't know that you absolutely need it.
I didn't have one, when I changed my GL1000 belts.
I think I used a 12mm socket/ratchet.
You also won't have the kick starter to contend with.
I'm glad to see that. That was one of my questions as I finish up the Front Engine Renewal procedures (most of them, at least). Strikes me that the ratchet would be a little extra insurance against racking the engine counterclockwise. I'm also fixing to put a masking tape arrow on the housing showing clockwise direction of rotation for when I'm really stupid. Wish me luck.
Dutch
DutchPurrpl

Post by DutchPurrpl »

Oh, I forgot...anyone got the torque specs for the thermostat housing bolts? GL1100, but that probably doesn't matter. thanks.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

I don't recall seeing a specific torque for that. When that happens I find the same size of bolt that does have a torque value listed and if the thread pitch is the same and it is going into the same type of material I use that.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
cgbarrett77
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cgbarrett77 »

When using a 12 mm wratchet wrench, do I just put the kick stand in and pull it down out of the way and tie wrap it there so it isn't in the way? Does this effect the timing in any way? I am working on it first thing this morning so I hope someone can get back with me soon. By the way, thanks for all the great tips this far everyone. I don't know how I would do this without all of your help.
76 GL 1000
Another beautiful day.
kitbutterfield
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kitbutterfield »

do I just put the kick stand in and pull it down out of the way and tie wrap it there
I'll assume that you mean the kick start lever...
From what I recall, that may be necessary.
I believe there may even be a photo of that, somewhere on this site.
Pulling down on the lever will move your engine.
You'll then need to rotate it to the T1 position, to get everything set up.
KB
1976 GL1000 Nudewing
cgbarrett77
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cgbarrett77 »

Ok, that's what I thought. Well I am all set up then. Wish me luck on my firs timing belt change, :-?
76 GL 1000
Another beautiful day.
kitbutterfield
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by kitbutterfield »

Good luck & I suggest printing out Octane's instructions, if you can.
KB
1976 GL1000 Nudewing
cgbarrett77
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cgbarrett77 »

done and done. I think I did it, and it starts and runs, yeah for me, lol. I am prettysure everything is in good order. Now I need to put the covers and radiator back on. Is there anything I should listen or look for when I take her for a ride later? I am sure everything is fine, but then again I did it so you never know wha I could have messed up, lol.
76 GL 1000
Another beautiful day.
cgbarrett77
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cgbarrett77 »

A few lessons for simple minded folk, like myself.

Lesson 1:
If you go to start your bike back up after chageing the timing belts and for some odd reason it won't start, maybe you forgot to hook the spark plugs back up, :roll:

Lesson 2: Once you hook the spark plugs back up and start the bike, if you notice an obscene amount of oil begin to collect around the left side of the bike, maybe you forgot to replace the timing mark cap, ;)

I hope someone finds these tips helpful.
76 GL 1000
Another beautiful day.
DutchPurrpl

Post by DutchPurrpl »

Original Question: "Oh, I forgot...anyone got the torque specs for the thermostat housing bolts? GL1100, but that probably doesn't matter. thanks."
Whiskerfish wrote:I don't recall seeing a specific torque for that. When that happens I find the same size of bolt that does have a torque value listed and if the thread pitch is the same and it is going into the same type of material I use that.
Thanks, WF. Before I wrote the last post looked through the Clymer and tried using 7-10 ft./lbs (actually 7) per the cylinder head torque spec for 6mm bolts. I just felt like the thermo housing bolts were on the verge of breaking or stripping, and I stopped before the wrench clicked, figuring I could always tighten them.

September 5, 2009; I did indeed have to tighten them...twice. Seems as things warmed up, there were some seeps...Not leaks really, just a few drops when parked after riding. All seems buttoned up fine now. But, oops, I just tightened them pretty darned tight, didn't get torque numbers.
Dutch.
Last edited by DutchPurrpl on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gw1982
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Timing Belts

Post by gw1982 »

Hello Octane,
This is awsome, one cannot find such detail in a manual. I am going to do as suggested do the belt thing,old girl, no doubt has miles on. The guy i bought the bike from,,,was some sort of mechanic I think,but I am not taking chances. super job,god bless.
Thanks for the welcome.
GL1100I GOLDWING INTERSTATE..1982
GL1100 GOLDWING (PARTS BIKE WAS IN A FIRE,NO PAPER WORK)
[img]http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/daddyt_photos/8475c69b.jpg[/img]

http://s845.photobucket.com/albums/ab11/daddyt_photos/MY%20BIKE%20GL1100I%20GW%20INTERSTATE/
Roady
Member Relations &_Graphics
Member Relations &_Graphics

Post by Roady »

We owe a lot of the success of this site to Octane. He's on a bit of a sabatical this year and we're hoping he catches us up on it upon his return. The religious retreat to the Bonneville Salt Flats will likely get him a record in the book on his very own Indian.

Welcome again, GW.
DutchPurrpl

Re: Timing Belts

Post by DutchPurrpl »

gw1982 wrote:Hello Octane,
This is awsome, one cannot find such detail in a manual. I am going to do as suggested do the belt thing,old girl, no doubt has miles on. The guy i bought the bike from,,,was some sort of mechanic I think,but I am not taking chances. super job,god bless.
Thanks for the welcome.
Good for you. I just finished with a lot of money saved and a feeling of security and satisfaction. If you're going into her guts, check this out as well:

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13108

Best!
Dutch
cgbarrett77
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by cgbarrett77 »

Thanks for the tip and the link DutchPurrpl. I am planning on getting Randakk's master carb overhaul kit and video for my 76 to redo the carbs this winter. Now that I know about that other information I will take care of those issues as well. Thanks again.
76 GL 1000
Another beautiful day.