West Coast

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

tlbranth
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

West Coast

Post by tlbranth »

Nothing again this year? Shocking.
Terry
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1999 GL1500 SE
2002 Honda VT750 "ACE"
1975 GL1000
1970 CB750
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Re: West Coast

Post by Sagebrush »

So host one. Folks volunteer to organize and host these events. Apparently other than Sunny no one on the west coast has the volunteer spirit.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Sagebrush wrote:So host one. Folks volunteer to organize and host these events. Apparently other than Sunny no one on the west coast has the volunteer spirit.

What's required to host an event?

I'd LOVE to have some of y'all come out here, even if I'm deWing'd at the moment.

Lemme know.

:mrgreen:
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

The difference between just having a get together at your home and having a NGW sponsored event is that the site will kick in to defer the costs. Also, a registration fee will be set up in the Shop NGW located at the top of the page.

Usually someone will scout out a good location, campground with cabins with nearby hotels or a low cost hotel in an area that is attractive to folks on motorcycles. Planned rides shouldn't be overly long as most folks like to visit and get to know one another. Places for lunch and dinner as well as fuel should be located. Once you determine a place to stay and what you want to do while the gathering takes place get in touch with one of the moderators on the site and we will set you up and announce it on the web site as a sticky in the All Runs forum. Once you have things set up you can ask for volunteers to help out. NGW events usually last about three days.

If you have any more questions just ask.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

It’s not really hard .... and it gives you a great excuse to ride around 'scouting' .... and for getting to together with your 'committee' to drink beer and talk plans .... when all the folk get there they have to listen to you talk .... and do what you say .... lots and lots of fun ....

Gord(might do it again one day)Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

Oh, I've got hundreds of miles of AWESOME roads to ride just in my memory, ranging from a couple dozen up to 320+ mile all day rides. I live in an apartment with a room mate, so I can't host anyone at my house, but I live next to a train station, an airport, and right off a major highway. And there are tons of hotels/motels, ranging from the super fancy to hole in the wall places for cheap.

RAT and Sagebrush, maybe one or both of you could PM me with some specifics. I'd really love to plan something. Its amazing out here. :)
-x01660

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

As mentioned, someplace with reasonable prices and close to meals. Since many times people travel distances to get somewhere, shorter is better than longer rides. The west coast is always a challenge as things are REALLY spread out and traveling I5 is BORING (LOL). Having grown up in NorCal I would agree there would be lots of interesting things around Santa Barbara.
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by x01660 »

rcmatt007 wrote:As mentioned, someplace with reasonable prices and close to meals. Since many times people travel distances to get somewhere, shorter is better than longer rides. The west coast is always a challenge as things are REALLY spread out and traveling I5 is BORING (LOL). Having grown up in NorCal I would agree there would be lots of interesting things around Santa Barbara.
I moved to Ventura, and I'm right by the 101 and the 126, and the 33 is 6 miles up the road. And there's a cheapo motel about 1/2 a mile from my house, and right off the 101. Next to a HUGE shopping center with lots of restaraunts.

Its actually ideal. I'll put together a poll and post it in a bit to gauge interest. From here, there are TONS of cool places and rides.

This is gonna be fun...

:mrgreen:
-x01660

desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Heck, even though I dislike slabs, I'd come out just to ride the 101 as it hugs the coast by you - the interior roads are icing on the cake (even though a bit warmish during Summer).
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

The coast roads are awesome .... it’s been years since .... but it’s more than a 'ride' for me these days ....

Gord(Wimp)Jones shakehands
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I lived in L.A. area for years, as well as north of San Francisco. The PCH (pacific coast highway) gets better the farther north you get
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Yup. Rode that sucker from Monterrey to Morro Bay a couple of years ago. Almost got taken out by a car that crossed into my lane. Had to stop and clean my shorts. But ready to make that run again - this time going north. Probably one of the most scenic drives in the country.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Also lived in "Point Arena", about 100 mile north of San Francisco on 1. Rode that road in both directions many times. A great road....love to do it again
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

You come. I join. Would be time well spent.

As an aside, There’s actually a CBX gathering in Morro Bay this Summer. Seriously pondering that one. Problem is I have gotten spoiled traveling with the Valk. Traveling ultralight on a naked bike like the Angry X doesn’t have the appeal it once had. Might <gasp> trailer it if I go...

But seriously Doug, if you ever do decide to make that run again, I’d be thrilled to join you, schedule permitting.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

desertrefugee wrote:You come. I join. Would be time well spent.

As an aside, There’s actually a CBX gathering in Morro Bay this Summer. Seriously pondering that one. Problem is I have gotten spoiled traveling with the Valk. Traveling ultralight on a naked bike like the Angry X doesn’t have the appeal it once had. Might <gasp> trailer it if I go...

But seriously Doug, if you ever do decide to make that run again, I’d be thrilled to join you, schedule permitting.
Thanks for the offer of companionship. It would be a blast. Don't think I will be riding to the west coast on my 78...that's what the 1200 is for And at my age I lean t'ward a little more comfort, when I can.

And I must add, that a lot of folks show up at the regional ralleys on other then naked goldwings...and even some of them show up on ,dare I say the T word, Trailers :lol: :lol: :lol:
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200