There once was a man from Tuktoyaktuk...

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

There once was a man from Tuktoyaktuk...

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Hello again - been a while since I've had a ride report opportunity. The last one was in 2015 where 4 Gl1000 riders and a brave Tenere chaperone ventured through the Canadian Maritimes for an epic trip (see write up here: https://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46&t=58586.

Last year was supposed to be a ride on the other side of our friendly neighbor up North. Hurricane Irma imposed her will on many poor souls and forced me to miss the trip. The other gents pushed ahead and managed to initiate a high speed GL rescue operation via the CAA (those friendly Canadians again) to the Rocky Mountain high country. From what I learned, there were good mountain runs and good times, but also the West was on fire and family emergencies forced an early conclusion. But not before snow flew and head gaskets were lost on the wrong side of the border...but not my story to tell.

This time around, there are 5 of us making an excursion to the Arctic Ocean on 1st Generation Goldwings. Along with us will be our trusty chaperone on his modern Tenere; so a bit of a re-boot of 2015. The map looks something like this:

Why Saskatoon? Well, that was the end of last year's abbreviated trip and HQ for Jeckyll's place (key instigator of this GL-based enthusiasm and trips with the right amount of risk/reward). Why Tuktoyaktuk? Well, several of us attempted a similar trip in 2009 on more modern steeds via the Dalton highway only to have rain (literally) on our parade and a variety of factors that included the required 24 hour notice to ride a company bus across refinery property to get there. We feel we pulled up short on that one. Why a one way trip? To seek redemption next year and leave a cliff hanger for future overseas possibilities.....

When? We plan to kick off from the town that does not rhyme with fun on 9 June. And currently all but two will end their journey on the 24th in Anchorage and return to civilization, jobs, angry spouses and so on. So what do we have on tap for this trip? Fires? Check. Severe muddy road closures? Yep. Bikes that need oh so much attention with less than two weeks to go? Definitely. At least this time I'm posting in advance and during the trip hopefully. Stay tuned.

Z
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: There once was a man from Tuktoyaktuk...

Post by ericheath »

Good luck. Hope you get time to update us on your progress.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Now at least for me, the last real ride was the aforementioned Maritime trip, which left my bike looking like this at the end:

But it certainly left a mark on my soul and I think I will always have a Goldwing. But first, I had to get it naked....enough with the fairings, floor boards, hard luggage. This is going to be a great 'round town bike. So after hacking most of the chrome bits off and procuring a $400 donor with decent (matching) body parts and transferred to my '77 a naked standard:

Cleans up nice, don't it? But with all the wiring tricks deployed for the fairings, etc I really never committed the time to get it dialed right. I was also moving house across country last year, then Hurricane Irma...so the GL sat largely neglected. In an effort to help last year's trip, I donated my Dyna system to Kevin's bike that had stock points. I was motivated to try the optical C-5 system for my ride (good opp to upgrade).

Anyway, fast forward to the last week or so and true-to-form, things start picking up. Rear rack (I kept from before) to accommodate a Givi-clone top case, a pair of hi-vis Ortlieb soft side bags, customized K&n filter assemblies that clear the faux panels and an LED headlamp.

See it does clear:

Now you may have noticed my pipes are on the short side. I will certainly need some ear plugs on this trip, with inlet noise from the carbs in stereo also. But here at sea level I am leeeeaaaaannnn. Snap, crackle and pop. But I'm also having issues running for more than 20-30 minutes - seems I'm having the dreaded alternator output plug failure. I'm currently looking to do the combo rectified/regulator mod after decapitating the failed plug. A quick rip video here:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Tuktoyaktuk- ... 2-1280.mp4

Z
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

Oh and a definite shout out and hearty thanks to Paul @ C-5 for helping me troubleshoot the electrical issues. Over and above the call of duty.
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

It may be a while before I get to post again. But a quick run down of others:

Mike eh? He had the unfortunate head gasket issue south of his border last year and needed a lift home. But, he has a new ride this year and as of almost exactly two weeks ago looked like this (the bike on the lift):

Kevin, aka HoneyBadger. His ride was the recipient of my Dyna ignition and fresh coils last year and made it to Saskatoon after a carb-attack rescue mission from the CAA, eh? His bike has fresh meats on it, timed, tuned, clearanced and getting the final touches for what will be the perfect kick off next Saturday. His bike as of 17 May:

Jeckyll, the main impetus to all things that explode internally and our GL leader. I don't have a good shot of his ride, but is the one with the Chebbers on the right of Kevin's bike. He's been wrenching on others bike saving his for last. And he does have a spare carcass and many parts. As well as a dyno...

Now, another new adventurer to this party anyway is definitely worthy of note. Many of us of older types tend to find solace at bashing the 20-somethings of the world but Ben is due some serious praise. He expressed interest in this trip, even given the requirements: anyone under 60 had to ride a 1st Gen Goldwing. Sounds simple, but where to start? He eventually picked up three samples in various states of assembly. The one he is building to take on this trip started like this:

There isn't anything he hasn't touched on this bike and has built it up from scratch. Impressive.

Z
Jeckylll
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Jeckylll »

I will quietly add that with just over a week to go. The Robertson ride looks like this.......

Oops can’t post pics. ;) yet
Bikes, bikes and more bikes!
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

I think you wanted to post this pic:

5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

another epic adventure eh!
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
Ramset
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ramset »

Exciting, good job
Ben

"...Sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Chief Tecumseh

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

"Besides who needs a tach.. I let her rev untill she quits pulling, then I upshift." Fish

1978 gl1000 (my first gl)
1978 gl1000 (Father's Day present to my dad)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Is it just me, or are you guys playing this one pretty close? I'm the type who's always ahead of the curve. I'd be an absolute wreck if I had an epic trip like this looming a week away and my bike was not fully sorted and road tested.

But, that's just me.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

desertrefugee wrote:Is it just me, or are you guys playing this one pretty close? I'm the type who's always ahead of the curve. I'd be an absolute wreck if I had an epic trip like this looming a week away and my bike was not fully sorted and road tested.

But, that's just me.
Yes.

This is - to me anyway - an interesting topic and one I’ve thought about at some length. In my mind, I have so many things going on at once that stuff doesn’t get done until a deadline approaches. I work better under pressure I guess. Ideally, we’d all have time to ride the bikes in increasing duration trips in various weather well in advance of a trip like this.

But then again, several of us do get a kick of the last minute crunch and threat of risk (40 year old motorcycles dodging texting zombies in 3ton death traps and rain just above freezing on deep muddy backroads). Otherwise, we’d all just stick to watching Nat Geo specials on TV.
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

Hey now no bashing on the nat geo specials lolol lolol lolol lolol lolol lolol

We all need some down time once in a while :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

They are well done. And better planned and executed than this trip...enjoy the chaos
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Wow, this trip sounds like.......er.....fun? Epic and challenging anyway!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
HomeMadeSin
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by HomeMadeSin »

T-5 days to the main kickoff; 2 days to the”pre-ride” for two of us from CO to Saskatoon. My job is to remove the C-5 and associated coils and wiring and install the new Dyna kit (much slimmer than the old one and the associated coils, wiring etc. Simple, right? Well of course I don’t have the original screws to affix the Dyna anymore so that starts the headaches. Then the coil pack from C-5 has male posts versus the female ports on the Dyna coils. So the wire fititngs are not correct - a not so quick run to 3 different car parts stores provided fresh frustration. Thankfully, Ben has a spare set I can cobble together to work. Set static time and prepare to do dynamic timing. Unfortunately, the main power lug off the solenoid breaks and it takes me awhile to find that issue, re-wire and drill an undersized lug to fit. Good times.

Then to really effectively do a dynamic timing, you need to people. So since I get it running on simple static setting, I leave it as such. Re configure the headlight and try to use the built in signals in it. It’s 1am. Time to get some sleep (Monday night/Tuesday morning).

Will catch you up next....