2014 NGW Eastern Official Announcement

A Place To Announce Run Flyers, Rallies, Web Links, Trips, Travel, Events and more.
Share your rides and events with other riders

Moderators: CYBORG, Rat, Forum Moderators

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

2014 NGW Eastern Official Announcement

Post by Sagebrush »

Date:
Sept 15-18th 2014

Lodge at Tellico, Tellico Plains, TN. The folks that have reviewed this lodge on Tripadvisor couldn't rank it higher.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

All group activities will either be held here, or in the case of rides, start and end here. In past ralleys members have complained about being spread out. I would hope that attendees would make every effort to stay here so we can be centrally located. About half the rooms have a king bed and either a twin bed or a sleeper sofa. As I write this, if you want to share a room you should be able to obtain lodging between $42.50 and $49.50 before taxes per person. Additionally the owners can provide three air mattresses with linens in case they are needed. All rooms are very spacious and I would consider very luxurious. The Lodge at Tellico provides a fire pit and a permanent cooler located at the Pavilion/fire pit/charcoal grill area, a great place for everyone to gather and get to know each other.

Having said that, I know not everyone will want or be able to stay at the lodge so alternative accommodations have been scouted.

The closest is Hunts Motorcycle Lodge and Cabins located just less than a mile from the Lodge at Tellico and right on TN-68. It has a few good reviews on Tripadvisor, however the morning we stopped by there was no one available to show us around. Understandable since it was a weekday morning after labor Day.

The second alternative is the Cherohala Mountain Trails Campground. Located approximately 5 miles away from the Lodge at Tellico. It has favorable Tripadvisor reviews as well.

Lodging is first come first served as all these establishments wanted a deposit to hold rooms for a group event. NGW isn't set up to be able to provide this service to its members so make your reservations early and make sure you understand the cancellation policies of whatever place you decide to stay.

Registration is $20.00 US and will include three meals (two picnic lunches and dinner) plus a T-shirt if anyone volunteers to do one. You can sign up by clicking here: Register Be sure to include a note to the treasurer rcmatt007 stating that this is for the NGW Eastern registration, otherwise he may think its just an ordinary donation to the site.

Agenda:

Monday 15th:
Arrival

Tuesday 16th:
Picnic Lunch at Fort Loudan State Park weather permitting, otherwise lunch will be in the covered dining area at the lodge. No group ride scheduled. Arrive at the park picnic grounds on your own just be sure to be on time.

Wednesday 17th:
Group ride across the Cherohala Skyway to Fontana Dam Visitors Center Picnic area. This ride will be loosely structured with the only formal aspect being arrive at the picnic area in time for lunch. In case of inclement weather lunch will be at the covered dining area at the lodge.
Catered sponsored dinner at the Lodge at Tellico if I can arrange it otherwise at a local restaurant.

Thursday 18th:
Depart

T-shirt:
Volunteer(s) needed for the design, printing and distribution of a run t-shirt. Based on past experience I'm unwilling to handle this task and the membership and I would appreciate someone stepping forward to handle this.

Area Map:
Relationship of the lodging opportunities at Tellico Plains.

Scenic Area Motorcycle Rides:

No "formal" group ride is planned for the rally. For the two proposed lunches a time and location with a recommended route will be distributed and it will be up to the individual members to decide if they wish to attend and decide on how best to get there. But it makes little sense to have a rally in what is arguably the best motorcycle riding territory in the world and not make some suggestions. The map below shows various routes that I have ridden in the past and found to be excellent rides. I'll describe them in greater detail in individual maps. I would highly recommend that depending the the direction you arrive from or leave to go on to your next destination that you incorporate at least some part of one of these routes. Depending on your time frame it would be worth your while to stay an extra day or two and make a loop incorporating one or more of these rides.

Recommended Routes Over-all Map:

From the West:

If your are coming from the west you may want to stop at the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, TN. The distillery offers a free one hour tour that I enjoyed very much even though I'm not much of Jack Daniel's fan. Even though you'll get to whiff thousands of gallons of corn mash fermenting at the top of one of the fermenting tanks (it will clear up your sinuses) you won't be able to buy any Gentleman Jack as Lynchburg is located in a dry county. It may take up to an hour after you arrive for the next tour to start so plan on two hours.

Once you leave Lynchburg the fastest route to Tellico Plains is through Chattanooga, TN. Chattanooga is dominated by Lookout Mountain. You can drive up to Lookout Mountain National Park to get a bird's eye view of Chattanooga and the Tennessee River valley. Feeling famished? A great little spot is the City Cafe located in downtown Chattanooga (don't worry, Chattanooga isn't that big) it is one of the very best best little restaurants I've ever had the pleasure to dine at. Portions are huge and reasonably priced but make sure and save room for dessert. This restaurants specialty is cakes, over 75 of them on the menu. If you go make sure and get a slice of seven layer chocolate cake to go for yours truly. This place is worth it to go to Chattanooga all by itself.

The route from Lynchburg to Tellico Plains is 197 miles and four hours driving time. Be sure to add in extra time for sightseeing and dining.

Lynchburg to Tellico Plains, Blue Route:

From the North or Northwest:

You may enjoy stopping at the Cumberland Falls State Park near Corbin, KY. Cumberland falls is the second largest falls east of the Mississippi (after Niagra). Cumberland falls is unique in the world as it produces a moon bow. A rainbow in the fall's spray produced by the light of the moon and visible in clear skies during a full moon. There is lodging at the State Park resort for a reasonable price for this type of accommodation. Corbin is home to the original Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken. There is a small museum in the KFC located near where the original diner stood. I wouldn't put this on anyone's bucket list but if your into KFC then its probably worth the stop.

The driving distance from Cumberland Falls, Ky to Tellico Plains is 145 miles and 2:36 driving time, not counting stops.

Cumberland Falls to Tellico Plains Magenta Route:

From the Northeast or East:

This route features the Blue Ridge Parkway from Asheville to its southern termination at Cherokee. From there turn right onto US441 and cross the Great Smokey Mountain National Park. At the visitor's center turn left on to Little River Road and take it to TN 337. Turn right on 337 and follow it until it merges with US321. Continue a few miles to the Foothills Parkway where you will turn left and follow it to its termination at US-129. Turn right and take it to TN 72 where you will turn left. Follow it to its junction with US 411. Turn left on 411. You then can either take US 411to US 68 and take US 68 south to Tellico Plains or you can turn left from US 411 at Vonore onto TN-311 and follow TN 311 to Tellico Plains.

This is a rather ambitious route and you should probably allow an entire day's riding for it. In total it is 202 miles and 5:22 riding time.

Asheville to Tellico Plains Red Route:

From the Southeast:

This route starts at Walhalla in the South Carolina High Country. From Downtown Walahalla take Hwy 28 (Highlands Highway) to Highlands, NC. In Highlands take US-64 west to Franklin. About 3 miles from Highlands watch for Bridal Veil Falls on your right, a waterfall you can drive under. A little way further from Bridal Veil will bring you to Dry Falls, a waterfall that you can walk under. Four miles past the junction of US-23 and US-64 turn right on to Old Murphy Rd. In 200 yards turn left on to Wayah Rd. Wayah Rd. is the reason you are coming this way. Wayah Rd twists, winds and climbs its way to Lake Nantahala then descends to US 19/74. Turn left onto US-19/74 then in about two miles turn right onto US-129. Take US 129 to Robbinsville then take a left onto NC 143. NC 143 becomes the Cherohala Skyway and will take you all the way to downtown Tellico Plains.

This route is 149 miles long and will take 4:16 driving time.

Walhalla, SC to Tellico Plains Yellow Route:

An alternative is continue on US-129 at Robbinsville to the Deal's Gap Motorcycle Resort, continuing on US-129 from the resort will take you across the Dragon past the junction with the Foothills Parkway and then to TN 72 and US-411 where you can turn left and continue to US-68 and another left will take you to Tellico Plains.

I would add an extra hour of riding time to the Walhalla route if you choose this alternative.

Alternate Route from Walhalla, Light Blue Route:

From the South:

This route starts at the old gold mining and current college town of Dahlonaga, GA just north of Atlanta. Dahlonaga's downtown square has been converted into a restaurant and gift shop emporium. Many shops surround the old court house that has been converted into a gold mining museum. But that's not why I'm sending you there. Make sure you are there about lunch time and locate The Bourbon St. Grill. Make sure you order the Muffalletta................ to die for. After lunch head east from downtown to US-19n. Ride north on US-19 until its junction with GA-60. Take GA-60 through Suches and on to its junction with Hwy 68 in Copperhill. Take Hwy 68 north to Tellico Plains. Total miles 90 driving time 2:16.

Dahlonaga, GA to Tellico Plains Green Route:

If you have any questions about any of these routes I will be glad to answer them. If you are unfamiliar with the area you really can't go wrong with any of these rides but I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions of their own as there are dozens of alternatives that will take you on some incredible rides.
If you take me up on one of these suggestions please let me know at the rally what you thought of it. Looking forward to seeing you in September at Tellico Plains :-D
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Re: 2014 NGW Eastern Official Announcement

Post by Oldewing »

Working on timing and who what when and where, but the Jones' will be there for sure :crosso edit-we are in at the hotel, room 404 .... anim-cheers1

Of course we went for covered bike parking too lolol lolol
82 GL1100 Interstate-Oldewing October 23 BOTM
06 GL1800 Road bike, as in Rode alot...
Sometimes I wrestle with my inner demons.........
Other times we just hug.......

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
And always remember: beer has some food value--but food has NO beer value...
Ken L.
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ken L. »

Why September???????

Ken L.
ImageImageImage
2005 GL1800 Dark Grey Metallic, \ CSC Trike
1975 GL1000 Red (Owned since 1980)(Given to my other son)
1976 GL1000 Red (being restored)(Given to the Jones boys)
1978 GL1000 Black, dressed (Given to my son)
1985 Aspencade bought brand new, traded and now back home.
Ham Radio W8BUY
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

Darral (Buggss) Sent me the following PM,
Dean,
I sent you a picture through a t-shirt design web site, they are way to expensive. It may be an start maybe not. I'll continue to work on this.
Darral
ImageImage

Along with a link to his T-shirt design. I like it because its simple but the 5 color design on the back might make it a bit too expensive. Any comments or your own design? Remember you may be volunteering to head up the t-shirt print transport and distribute committee if you have the winner.

Thanks for your submission Darral :-D
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Nice shirt, if the bike was a line drawing the price would come way down.

Dean, you sure set the bar WAY up there for people attempting to plan a Ride .....

Gord :oops:
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Whiskerfish
President
President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/whiskerfish/

Post by Whiskerfish »

RAT wrote:SNIP

Dean, you sure set the bar WAY up there for people attempting to plan a Ride .....

Gord :oops:

Yes he does! OK the registration is now open in the NGW store.
"Agreement is not a requirement for Respect" CDR Michael Smith USN (Ret) 2017
"The book is wrong, this whole Conclusion is Fallacious" River Tam
2008 GL1800 IIIA "TH3DOG"
1975/6/7/8/9 Arthur Fulmer Dressed Road bike
1975 Naked Noisy and Nasty in town bike
and a whole garage full of possibilities!!

Psst. oh and by the way CHANGE YOUR BELTS!!!!
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Oldewing wrote:Working on timing and who what when and where, but the Jones' will be there for sure :crosso edit-we are in at the hotel, room 404 .... anim-cheers1

Of course we went for covered bike parking too lolol lolol

Just got off the phone with these folks, they are all on board with us, this will be fun crossy.gif crossy.gif crossy.gif

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
Earl43P
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Earl43P »

The NGW Store says 15-18 JULY.....

I made reservation for 15-18 September though, since that's what this thread says.
KTM390A “Hootinanny”
04 ST1300 DDDD (Double darksided daily driver) Sold 4/2022
93 GL1500I Double darksided and SOLD 3/29/20.
99 Valkyrie IS, Fast Black Double Darksided
"Fishtailed, flipped and flung me, but wearing it well". Sold!
82 GL1100 retired DD, needs work.... Sold 3/3/17
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Yeah, that was last summer's ride :oops: .

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

Earl43P wrote:The NGW Store says 15-18 JULY.....

I made reservation for 15-18 September though, since that's what this thread says.
OOPS! shakehands My bad, I actually used last year as a template and missed editing the month. :oops: First try I forgot to put in the price, but "I" caught that one. All good now. dancr
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Ken L.
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Ken L. »

No one want's to answer my question, "Why September" ?????????? :IDTS:
June or July would be better for me. My .02 cents

Ken L.
ImageImageImage
2005 GL1800 Dark Grey Metallic, \ CSC Trike
1975 GL1000 Red (Owned since 1980)(Given to my other son)
1976 GL1000 Red (being restored)(Given to the Jones boys)
1978 GL1000 Black, dressed (Given to my son)
1985 Aspencade bought brand new, traded and now back home.
Ham Radio W8BUY
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

Ken L. wrote:No one want's to answer my question, "Why September" ?????????? :IDTS:
June or July would be better for me. My .02 cents

Ken L.
I agree but what it is is what it is...........JB
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
Oldewing
Secretary
Secretary

Post by Oldewing »

Cooler weather is your answer Ken, sorry for not replying. Plus summer actives with Kids me thinks too.

Team 898
Team LTD 993
Team 76 R2B3
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive

Post by Sagebrush »

The area is very crowded with bikers during the summer months, roadways, lodging and restaurants are all clogged, even during the week. It makes it very hard to be able to put together an ad hoc group of 15 or more bikers all in one place during the height of the season. After labor day, particularly during the week, the area is near deserted. However, the best riding temps of the year are during September. As long as I'm putting together the run it will be in September.

Ken, am I hearing that you are volunteering to head up next years NGW eastern to be held sometime in June or July?
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
buggss
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by buggss »

Have been trying to register but I haven't been able to go to step 2, message says can't ship to my area.
Is there another way to register?
1975 Naked Goldwing(Rat: Larry's Nickname)
1975 Naked Goldwing(Roadrunner)SOLD
1976 Naked Goldwing(Hard Six)
1977 Full Dressed Goldwing(Buggss)SOLD
1984 Aspencade Goldwing(Taz)SOLD
1993 Aspencade (BlackJack)
1995 Aspencade Trike (Purple Reign)SOLD