A Fix For Rear Turn Signal Stems

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Dr. Frankenstein
Silver Member
Silver Member

A Fix For Rear Turn Signal Stems

Post by Dr. Frankenstein »

Okay, so after doing an online search and turning over pretty much every rock in the U.S. and across the pond to find some rear turn signal stems that weren't $55 APIECE, I took it upon myself to make some rear turn signal stems out of a length of stainless steel tubing and some pillaged front stems from an old Vetter fairing I had laying around, and no intention of using again.

Part of the inspiration was also because the rear signal lights ground out through those stems,and without them and that ground, well, you obviously have no rear turn signals. But I wasn't prepared to pay $110 for them.

All I did was take the front stems and drill them out to 12mm (that "10mm" mark is the size of the original hole).
ImageDSCN2295 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

I then stuck a piece of 12mm hollow stainless steel tube (Uxcell M12x300mm, available on Amazon - two for $14) into the mount - - it fits pretty snugly in there, but I'll probably use something like thread locker to tighten the fit up.
ImageDSCN2296 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

I measured off where I needed it to be centered on the taillight assembly and took a grinder to it to cut a hole in the center for the turn signal wires...I used the awl there to punch through and open up the steel when I noticed it getting a little deeper than it should...the opening is about an inch long; makes it easier to get the wires through...
ImageDSCN2297 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

...smoothed off the edges with a half-round file to help the turn signal wires avoid cutting themselves on the sharp edges, and then took a tiny Dremel sanding stone to the inside to make sure everything was nice and smooth...
ImageDSCN2298 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

...then ran the wiring through it and back up along the underside of the rear fender to hide it - a length of guitar string came in real handy for that...and Voila'!
ImageDSCN2304 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

I Got Lights! anim-cheers1 (That white light on the left signal is from my headlamp - I forgot I had it on...).
ImageDSCN2301 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr
ImageDSCN2302 by Dr. Frankenstein1, on Flickr

And the beautiful thing is, the rear taillight mounting bolts tighten up against the steel tube and keep it in place. So there you have it! I just thought I'd share.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Re: A Fix For Rear Turn Signal Stems

Post by Fred Camper »

It works and others may be using it soon. Thank you for sharing.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig