1980 GL110i - Gamera

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

507Derek
Brass Member
Brass Member

Re: 1980 GL110i - Gamera

Post by 507Derek »

Goboy wrote:Good work Derek, How is you seat attached, did you have to modify much. I am interested in doing a solo Harley as as well.
Any pic's.
That seat was pretty easy to install. I just modified the front bracket a little bit to slide under the faux tank when it was on there. Than I ran a long bolt up through fender, used a couple spacers, and a nut to hold it in place. I plan on building a little tail cowl section thingy to smooth it all out. I'll take some pics next time I have it off.
507Derek
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 507Derek »

Thank you all for the kind words!! This is the bike I've had envisioned in my head for quite a few years now. I'm excited to ride the crap out of it this year. It will stay in this stage for awhile now. I will do a couple small things to it this summer but just plan to ride. Still planning the next stage....

So, if anyone was keeping track it's a bit of a Frankenstein...
Coil from Dodge Neon
Carb from VW Bug
Sportster parts in the forks
Rear shocks made for Sportster
Gas tank from Suzuki GS1000
Seat from HD Road king
And a whole bunch of custom stuff

Also, if anyone was curious about the name... Gamera is an old school Japanese monster movie. It is a giant turtle that some company came up with to compete with Godzilla. I have a weird obsession with turtles, it's a Japanese motorcycle, it's a monster made up with parts from a bunch of different things.. I thought Gamera was a good fit.
Trophyvictor
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Trophyvictor »

Very cool sound... Following!
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

Gamera was the bomb. Especially when he jetted out the rear holes and flew like Superman.
Gamera.jpg
Gamera.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 609 times
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery
Goboy
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member
My Album: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=60678

Post by Goboy »

Wow, that's a pile of parts, should be a lot lighter. That wiring was sooo bad, good work on the repairs and thanks for the seat info.
You're too small to ride a hog Billy!

Mike
1978 GL1000
Previous bikes: 05 Yamaha FJR 1300, 79 Suzuki GS 1000, 75 Yamaha XS 650, 73 Kawasaki S2 350
507Derek
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 507Derek »

Well last summer was a bummer. I think I got to ride the bike twice. Was super busy with work, getting my house ready to sell, moving, a freak storm, blah blah blah...
I moved again in February and finally got the bike home last week. Ordered a bunch of parts and will have an update soon!
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Glad you're back at it, and hope things go well!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
507Derek
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 507Derek »

This thing is giving me nothing but problems this year! Only been able to ride it 30 miles. Getting pretty upset. I'll give an update after I get it all figured out. But for now I have a question for the single carb conversion folks....
The throttle plate on mine had the hole jb welded closed by the po. I removed it and now I'm having trouble getting it tuned right.
I did some research and it sounds like this is pretty common for the VW bug folks depending on what distributor is ran.
I'm running the empi pict 34 - 3 by the way.
So, has anyone on here had to plug that hole? Or is that a band aid for the actual issue?
507Derek
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by 507Derek »

Quick update...!
Last year I had to replace the starter. Then a bad fuel leak in my tank. Then it wouldn't run. Replaced the fuel pump, still no run. Couldn't get the thing to idle to save my life. Replaced the carb, still no dice. Found a bad vacuum leak in my intake manifold and got it going!
Been able to ride it more in the last few weeks then I did all of last year, still need to do some carb tuning because it isn't running right consistently but I'll get there.
Going to do another valve adjustment, change the spark plugs, and tune the carb again. Change the oil and filter and then hopefully just enjoy it this year. Going to be working on some smaller things that won't effect it's rideability.

Onto my question.....
My bag lids don't stay on very good. I've already redone the rivets on the latches but it only helped a bit. Going to change the seals out as they are junk. But I want to change how it's latched, maybe with a hinge of some kind. Does anyone have any ideas?
sgwilly
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sgwilly »

I've found that if the seals are in good condition then the bags seal nicely. I'd be hesitant to modify the latches unless they are themselves compromised (i.e. bent, shifted).
Steve
'09 Yamaha FJR1300AE
'99 Valkyrie Tourer
'89 Isuzu Trooper 3.4L
'83 GL1100 MonkeyWing (on IR)
'75 GL1000 (in the queue)
'70 Suzuki T500 Titan (in the queue)
'64 MGB
IBA #58082
All my stuff is old. It makes me feel young.
SGWilly Gallery