Not to sure where this is going

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Oldmopars
Tin Member
Tin Member

Not to sure where this is going

Post by Oldmopars »

A short story first.
One of my first bikes was an 1100 Goldwing. I liked it, but I wanted some of the new technology and so I bought a 2000 BMW K1200lt. Then I got into Adventure riding and bought a few ADV bikes, then I really wanted my wife to ride with me and she could not get on the tall ADV bike I had, so I decided to get a Goldwing. I wanted a 1500, but had $0 to spend. Then I saw an ad on CL for 2 Goldwings, a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade and a 1989 GL1500 for $600. They were in rough shape, but complete. The 84 had a "poor boy" conversion, but the alternator was missing. The 1500 was all there, but ugly. Lots of cracks in the plastics, and 175,000 miles.
I only got the title to the 84 1200, but she had paperwork for the other bike. I got the 2 bikes both running and rode them down the road. I never liked the 1200, just too ugly and the 1500 was going to require too much work and the title became almost impossible.
I went to a Honda dealer across the state and bought a 1996 Goldwing SE, white/silver, in perfect condition and rode home happy.
Now I have an Ugly 1200 and a useless 1500 parts bike. I miss being able to hit the gravel roads and having a bike that if dropped is no big deal. I wanted another ADV bike. But, I am getting older and parts of my body are failing and so big ADV bikes and Big adventure is not happening. So, the idea came to make the 1200 into a ADV bike.
By ADV bike I mean a bike that I can ride anywhere I want, gravel, dirt, forest roads and still do 80MPH through Montana and Idaho.
This will never be a BMW R1200GSA, or ever go around the world like Charlie Boorman or Ewan McGregor, but I do want to ride with my friend that has a Honda CB500X. We like to go off the beaten path sometimes.
On to the bike. It is a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade that is now stripped of everything I don't want. You will see in the pictures that I have retained the rear rack and it will stay. I want to have someplace to tie down gear when we travel. This will not be a cafe racer style, more work less play.
I wanted to run something more aggressive for tires, but the options for tires were limited due to the 16in front and 15in rear. So, I installed the whole front end from the GL1500 on the 1200. I will be doing the rear too when I get the time.
As of now I have it running, I need to do some tinkering to get the carbs running a little better, maybe some SeaFoam. The tail lights are just zip tied on, the shelter needs a lot of work, and I need to replace the headlight with something legal. It is just a spot light off my truck. The 2 LED lights are what is working right now. I am also running the handle bars from my old CB500X and some E-Bay masters. For rear shocks I am using 2 coil spring shocks off 2 Gl1500s. Its a bit stiff right now, but I want to add some weight to the back like if it was loaded for camping to see it it is still too stiff.
As the title says, I am not sure where this is going yet. Anyway, this is the start of it.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: Not to sure where this is going

Post by Track T 2411 »

Looks like a good solid start. Was the front end swap pretty straight forward?
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Oldmopars
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Oldmopars »

The front end swap was very straight forward. I used the 1200 triple clamps and the 1500 forks, brakes, wheel/tire. The brake lines hooked up just like they were made to do the swap. Brake lines are 1200 bolted to the 1500 calipers.
While I do not have hundreds of miles on the swap yet, the miles I do have have felt great. Braking is really good, but not over powered.
The springs are a little stiff, but that is understandable because they came off a much heavier bike. I may see about putting 1200 springs in the 1500 forks. I will need to research it to make sure it will work, but as of now I see no reason why it won't.
Oldmopars
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Oldmopars »

Well this project is starting to move forward again. I was able to get a bunch of parts ordered and some have arrived.
I got the turn signals in, the Speedo/tach/everything gauge, handle bars and LED relay for the lights.
The handle bars are different in that they are super adjustable. They are made out of 9 parts that all bolt together and this allows you to move and adjust in a huge number of ways.
The gauge is an all in one unit. It has an analog tach, but a digital speedo. It has gas, turn indicators, and gear indicators. I will only need the "N" as I don't think the 1200 had a switch in the trans to indicate the gear.
The new head light, tail light, timing belts, and GL1100 shelter are still on the way.
Oldmopars
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by Oldmopars »

I have made more progress on this. I have also been working on the GL1500 so my time has been divided.
I got the wiring mostly sorted out. I stripped out anything that was from the Aspencade and not needed on this. I still need to remove about 18in from the wires coming from the controls, but that is not a big deal.
I have the dash installed and it is working, I still need to hook up the Tach and do the calibration.
The fuel gauge is going to be a challenge to figure out. It "works", but I don't think it is reading right. I may have to do something creative with a resistor to get it in the right range. As long as I can get it to read empty when it is really empty I will live with whatever reading I get when it is full.
I got my new shelter in the mail today and I think it is going to work out well. It is a GL1100 shelter. I got it off Ebay with free shipping for what other wanted just for the shipping. I paid $35. It has 4 small holes in the lid, but for what I saved, I can fix those easy.
It is coming together.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Don’t know where it’s going either .... but I like it ....

Gord action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F

Return to “GoldWing UnderGround CustomiZing”