Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Who built this one? GL custom in Oklahoma

Post by CrazyJerry »

Hey everyone - we're at the finish line!!
-
An earlier post stated this bike would be racy, retromod, and have an "Art Deco" appeal.
-
The racy part has everything to do with a very visible GL1100 engine with custom exhaust sitting inside a low-slung raked-fork package.
-
The retromod is the contrast between the 1980 reverse Comstar wheels, and the old-school custom aluminum bodywork, single-sided leaf spring, and what would appear to most as a jockey-shifter: Old > Meets > New.
-
If none of that sets this Goldwing apart from any other, the following will!
-
The "Art Deco" influence comes from none other than a pair of rocker panel mouldings originally equipped on a vintage Datsun 280z and the following three pics come straight from a google image search:
-
-
-
-
-
Making these run along the top of the fenders and gas tank would require them to be bent and crowned to match all of the curves. These ribbed aluminum mouldings are quite sturdy and some "finesse" will be required to achieve this. Each of the following tools were used to make this happen:
* A couple of 4x4 pieces of wood (used catch the outer edges and suspend the mouldings at certain times during the shaping process)
* Ball peen hammer (used to beat the mosquitoes away - owww!)
* Header pipe off a 1980 Suzuki GS550 (which contains a nice rounded curve that can be used to create a centered hump/crown the full length of the mouldings)
* A rubber mallet (used to strike the header pipe listed above)
* Field Day beer tub (has long curves that are very sturdy and can be used to get the arc of the fender).
* Last remaining fender from Aaron Richard of Revive Custom Motorcycles (this will be used to periodically spot check the curve and crown)

-
-
-
-
After about 3,000 whacks with that rubber mallet, we get a piece suitable for mounting:
-
-
-
-
-
To accent those mouldings, we will use a fancier GL1100 radiator guard to help to create a seamless vertical "Art Deco" appearance between the front fender and the gas tank when viewed from this angle:
-
-
-
Likewise, we can create a seamless transition from the rear fender to the gas tank with the use of the 280z moulding and that ever important finned WICO unit:
-
-
-
Finishing out the trim is preparing and painting the headers/exhaust pipes flat black:
-
-
-
-
-
Sun-dried raisins are all the rage to some, so how about sun-dried exhaust pipes!!
-
-
-
-
This bike now contains many characteristics of the "Art Deco" style such as geometric shapes, vertical lines, and different textures throughout the aluminum pieces and on the painted items.
-
**Although the build is essentially done, the best is still yet to come!
- The next posting deals with a "catastrophic failure".
- And then the last post following that is the one not to miss - it's the photo shoot and current status of the bike!
-
It's all wrapping up with two more entries in just 48 hours - thanks for sticking with this!
-
~CrazyJerry~
-
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

:popcornx2
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

What do we want? > A catastrophic failure!
-
And when do we want it? > Now!!!
-
After the bike was completed it was insured/registered/plated and given a 10 day temporary inspection sticker. During the first 24 miles, life was grand and except for a few small adjustments it was great. The next day the state inspection was scheduled - 23 miles there - 23 miles back.
-
The trip started out ok like the others had but at mile 4 the bike started losing power. In the span of 30 seconds the engine bogged down and came to an abrupt stop, literally skidding the rear tire... It wasn't hot, it had plenty of oil - but the engine refused to turn over...oh crap!
-
By the time it was trailered back home the engine cooled down and it would turn-over albeit much slower than normal - and too slow to fire. Knowing I'd likely have to start tearing things down, the timing covers were first on the list. The belts were intact which was a good sign, but when the starter was engaged, only one cam gear spun - it was the right side did not. This required a vigorous investigation! Removal of that timing belt revealed it to have missing cogs:
-
-
-
-
The gas tank, intake and valve cover were removed. The camshaft and rocker arms sure looked mighty dry! Even worse, one of the cam lobes was scored and there was lots of aluminum chips scattered everywhere. Removing the head showed the valves and combustion chamber as normal. Removal of the rocker and cam shafts to be another matter - they were both scrap.
-
-
-
-
-
-
The culprit could be found in the engine block about an inch back in behind that head's oil restrictor. Something resembling a curled up piece of plastic had lodged itself in that port and stopped oil flow into the head causing lack of lubrication, intense heat, and a catastrophic failure when it seized.
-
What to do??
-
Well, the engine need a big time flush to get all the debris out of it:
-
-
-
-
Then a replacement head was needed..but the only pair here are off a GL1000.. what if??
Not both as a pair - but just one GL1000 head??
-
Well in less than 24 hours the head was swapped out, the bike was back out on the road and passed inspection. It runs exactly like it did with the GL1100 head on it. Using a digital heat gun, all the exhaust headers are the same temp as well as the heads when comparing from side-to-side. All four plugs are uniform. It starts instantly just like before and it has plenty of get up and go - just like before. It sounds the same too. There is a paint color difference from the automotive gloss pewter compared to the Honda plain gray but you'd have to look closely since the valve cover is the more predominate feature.
-
-
-
As of tonight, the bike has a grand total of 592 miles since the build, and returns 45-48 mpg in mixed driving. Not sure what may happen long-term but as long as there's no reason to change that head - it's staying and should anything happen, a post with all the details will be made.
-
-
~CrazyJerry~
-
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

wow..that could have been much worse..
any idea where the plastic came from?
ETA..the Datsun trim looks killer..how did you manage to curve it without kinking it?
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

5speed wrote:wow..that could have been much worse..
any idea where the plastic came from?
ETA..the Datsun trim looks killer..how did you manage to curve it without kinking it?
5speed,
I have no clue where the plastic came from. It may have been in the engine all along but how it got past the oil screen would be a mystery. It was reddish and actually it reminded me of the detachable plastic ring on the screw top of an quart bottle of oil. A long o-ring pick was used to fish it out of the oil passage in the block - it was really stuck in there!
-
The curving was just a lot of patience beating the crown into the moulding with a rubber mallet and the GS550 header pipe. The curve (or arc) was a matter of using the mallet directly on the moulding while using the field day beer tub as a sort of a anvil... It took quite some time and the moulding wasn't in great shape to begin with so there was nothing to lose really!
-
Tomorrow's photo shoot posting will really show the great lines and detail the bike has!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Tomorrow evening's post will be the photo shoot of the bike and the pics are stunning!
-
There's a few things here-n-there that should be touched-up hence the delay.
-
If the original builder is out there and following this thread, I hope he or she is able to see this.
-
~CrazyJerry~
Last edited by CrazyJerry on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Absolutely stunning build Jerry! I am thinking that you are the front runner for 2019 bike of the year.
The Bike, the photography and the tune were brilliant. You have GR8 skills and I am thinking you are very proud of this accomplishment. An inspiration for sure.
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Glad you were able to rescue it so quickly. So you now have a 1000 cam on one side and an 1100 cam on the other? Curious which year. The 75-77’s were longer duration. The 78-79’s were pretty close to but less duration than the 1100’s as best as I can recall. Glad it runs well.

How was the leaf spring ride?
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
dontwantapickle
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by dontwantapickle »

I would like to see a video of it running and riding.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I'd go so far as to say that motorcycle is probably the finest example of a custom Goldwing I've seen grace these pages. From any angle it pleases the eye. A treasure.

Congratulations, Jerry, on a job well done - and a story well told. I do hope that you enjoy riding the machine as much as we (and anyone) enjoy looking at it. It begs to be ridden. You have all summer.

...I suspect numerous accolades will come your way on that one. At the very least, it should be a featured machine in any number of preeminent scooter publications.

Wow.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Very nice indeed ....

Gord action1 anim-cheers1 action1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Congrats on a very nice finish! I must admit, you kind of lost me with the coffee pot headlight bucket and salt shaker/ mini beer stein turn signals, but your vision of what the bike would become has turned out very well indeed! Kudos to you for taking on such a project! Enjoy the ride!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

Jonesz wrote:Absolutely stunning build Jerry! I am thinking that you are the front runner for 2019 bike of the year.
The Bike, the photography and the tune were brilliant. You have GR8 skills and I am thinking you are very proud of this accomplishment. An inspiration for sure.
Thank you Jonesz!!!!!
-
~CrazyJerry~
CrazyJerry
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by CrazyJerry »

ericheath wrote:Glad you were able to rescue it so quickly. So you now have a 1000 cam on one side and an 1100 cam on the other? Curious which year. The 75-77’s were longer duration. The 78-79’s were pretty close to but less duration than the 1100’s as best as I can recall. Glad it runs well.

How was the leaf spring ride?
ericheath,
I believe the head is a '78 but if I'm mistaken I'll get back to you on this.
The leaf spring is either a brilliant piece of engineering or dumb luck. Initially is was pretty soft and on our horrible roads, the Datsun 280z trim touched the seat mounting tube twice. There was one short top leaf that was taken out of the spring, so I put it back in a its real good now. Plenty of road feel like my GL1100 with the progressive shocks but not even close to a bobber. If you hit a good pothole (the ones you should never hit) it'll let you know via a harsh kick in the behind. There's no rear shock and it doesn't need one. Rebound and recovery are excellent (and a well balanced wheel helps). I took it up to 90mph and its rock solid. There's now a bracket and grade 8 bolt that runs over the top of the rear most part of the spring where it curls - this ensures if the bike goes airborne (like Evil Knievel) the spring will limit the free fall drop of the swingarm. Positioning that bolt fore-or-aft will also limit the amount the spring can slide rearwards when under stress - so it's possible to give it a very bobber-like (harsh) ride in about 5 minutes. One could say that the leaf spring is "tunable". The ride is quite good and there's no plans to pad (or spring) that aluminum seat. Aside from the novelty of it, I really like the road feel it provides.
-
~CrazyJerry~
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

WELL DONE, Jerry! :oldies

With your approval, I might have to make a date to do a roundtrip day ride up to your place to see this masterpiece!

Always looking for a destination to ride to. tumb2

I'm the guy that lives northwest of Syracuse. Baldwinsville.
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.