Behemoth gl1200 custom.....

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Behemoth gl1200 custom.....

Post by ericheath »

Don’t forget the 1200 rear wheel is set up 1/2” left of the front wheel. So that may play into what we see. It looks like the lower block may have moved a little when welding or tacking. The back wheel maybe isn’t fully assembled as it looks off from the rest of the bike. The shock should be fine.

It wouldn’t hurt to add a little support for the top cross tube, maybe up to the next one??

Mine was similar until I decided to use the links. I messed it up and trashed it before it killed someone. It was a nice riding bike with the mono like yours but it’s overall travel was more than I wanted.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

I did manage to mount the shock 1/2 inch off to the left. I'm probably going to leave it that way. I had lined it up with the center of the rear wheel, not knowing it wasn't centered to the frame. The upper and lower shock mounts are going to get braced. The notch in the rear of the lower shock mount is there so I can make a tubular brace to weld at that point and wrap around to brace the swing arm.
Another wonderful find tonight was the splines on the hub that go into the final drive ,as well as the ones in the final drive, are severely worn. So I'll be looking for a final drive and hub.
Attachments
20191015_202254.jpg
20191015_202254.jpg (117.28 KiB) Viewed 826 times
20191015_201645.jpg
20191015_201645.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 826 times
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The sometimes cheaper upgrade is to look for a leftover trike final drive from a gl1500. It takes a few easy mods and it will bolt up to your 1200 swing arm. Advantages are a 1/2” wider rim, one inch taller rim, larger brake rotor, bigger bearings. Same brake calipers, same final drive ratio as a1200. You can run a lower profile to keep the height nearly the same.

The 88-89 years were a little different in the drive flanges, six bolts vs five bolts. Rim is different than a 1200, which I think is a cool rim.

I snagged the whole thing, swing arm back, everything including a decent tire for $75.

There’s a clear write with full details up at Saunders.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

ericheath wrote:The sometimes cheaper upgrade is to look for a leftover trike final drive from a gl1500. It takes a few easy mods and it will bolt up to your 1200 swing arm. Advantages are a 1/2” wider rim, one inch taller rim, larger brake rotor, bigger bearings. Same brake calipers, same final drive ratio as a1200. You can run a lower profile to keep the height nearly the same.

The 88-89 years were a little different in the drive flanges, six bolts vs five bolts. Rim is different than a 1200, which I think is a cool rim.

I snagged the whole thing, swing arm back, everything including a decent tire for $75.

There’s a clear write with full details up at Saunders.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. I came across a gl1800 swingarm and wheel assembly for $75, but haven't researched it yet to see what the final drive ratio is. Plus I'd have to have it shipped from Arizona to East Texas.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

It’s also 2.833 but quite different and would take a lot to mod. I’m not sure if all are, but most are single sided swing arms.

You can try a trike outfitter but most have connections where they part them out for considerably more money.

If you find a private seller who has it removed for his trike, you’ll have an idea of mileage on the drive.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

:popcorn: Fun!
Wow! someone got their moneys worth out of that final drive. :shock: :lol:
Consider some (more) gusseting on shock mounts. A plate under the lower mount will
help prevent tearing of the stock swing arm cross over. Think about bottoming... It's like a giant jack hammer.

HOTT (his(my) headstone will read "He had to learn the hard way...")
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

HOTT wrote::popcorn: Fun!
Wow! someone got their moneys worth out of that final drive. :shock: :lol:
Consider some (more) gusseting on shock mounts. A plate under the lower mount will
help prevent tearing of the stock swing arm cross over. Think about bottoming... It's like a giant jack hammer.

HOTT (his(my) headstone will read "He had to learn the hard way...")
There is an additional 1/8 plate welded under the lower shock mount. I am contemplating completely boxing that area of the swingarm as well.
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

So it has come time for me to face the fact that I will not be able to finish this project. We have struggled financially for a while now. If anyone is interested let me know. I will make a post in the for sale section.
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

Let me know if anyone is interested.
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

Nice to have that welding skill, serves you well as the bike is coming along quite nicely. Love the progress. Sad news to see you need to sell and move on, your vision for this bike was excellent.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Location might help
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

ericheath wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:56 pm Location might help
True, it would. Huffman, Texas.