Red Belly 2.0

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Red Belly (!)

Post by Easter »

Thanks Wingrider, will keep that in mind. Will probably need them regardless of what happens on this build.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I lke what you are doing. (look at my avatar) :lol: I have a 77 with a 1200 engine. (single shock in rear, 1000 final drive, 1200 front forks. Not to hard to do, and the package is super fast
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Went back to page 1 and reviewed your thread. These bikes sure clean up nicely. Had breakfast with a long time friend whom I sailed with in our Navy. He retired, took the HD course and rode/worked on them for years. He does the Santa at a local mall and when he walked in for breakfast, I asked for a new 1800, and he asked why. His thoughts are that if the bike is mechanically sound, and well maintained, spending money on new may not be the best way to spend your money. He mentioned that if out and about, VISA and a good tow package is all you need, new or older bike.

Thoroughly enjoying reading and seeing your project come to fruition. Look forward to reading about the engine's first start.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Parts have been arriving so I have made some progress in the last few days. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the Dyna miniature coils and now have them installed. They are not significantly smaller than the old green ones but I do like the way they mount and they seem to be very well made. A bracket had to be fabricated to attach them but fortunately I have been cutting some pieces out of a sheet of 3/16 aluminum and was able to use a scrap for this. I made a template for this and two or three other parts, to be cut from the aluminum with "foam core". It is easy to cut and shape with a razor or exacto and can even be folded if required. When satisfied with the fit, it is easy to transfer the pattern to the material to be used for the final part.
Attachments
Aluminum bracket with coil mounted on each side.
Aluminum bracket with coil mounted on each side.
002 (9).jpg (99.33 KiB) Viewed 244 times
003 (9).jpg
003 (9).jpg (74.85 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Starting to look a bit cluttered with wires and hoses.
Starting to look a bit cluttered with wires and hoses.
007 (4).jpg (128.65 KiB) Viewed 244 times
008 (3).jpg
008 (3).jpg (106.35 KiB) Viewed 244 times
New MC and Clutch perch, old electrics
New MC and Clutch perch, old electrics
009 (2).jpg (130.13 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Oh, I almost forgot. Some of you may have noticed the engine now has belt covers. I had planned to leave them off and went so far as to have the pulleys powder coated, but after looking at it with the fairing and racing style tail, it just seemed the open pulleys were not right for this bike. More appropriate for a bobber. Sad part of this story is that while cleaning out the mud dobber goop and excess paint from the mounting holes I managed to break off a tap in the engine block. It is below the surface and there to stay. The cover seems solid with just three bolts so for now that is the way it will stay.
Bikes at present:

robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

Easter wrote:Oh, I almost forgot. Some of you may have noticed the engine now has belt covers. I had planned to leave them off and went so far as to have the pulleys powder coated, but after looking at it with the fairing and racing style tail, it just seemed the open pulleys were not right for this bike. More appropriate for a bobber. Sad part of this story is that while cleaning out the mud dobber goop and excess paint from the mounting holes I managed to break off a tap in the engine block. It is below the surface and there to stay. The cover seems solid with just three bolts so for now that is the way it will stay.
I use two bolts most of the time. Just the tow outer bolts. Put fake bolts on the inside to cover/seal the holes. Makes it much easier to remove the belt covers that way. And they hold fine.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

^+1

Been running just the outer two bolts since I've had the '78 on the road. Very handy when the time comes to pop the covers.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Radiator is cleaned up inside and out and ready to install but I decided to try and start it first just for a confidence builder. Well my confidence has taken a plunge. I wasn't sure how well this engine would run especially at first, but I expected it to run. NADA. Cranks, has good spark at the plugs but no ignition. Didn't trust the fuel pump so connected a remote tank right to the carbs. Still nothing. Pulled the belt covers and rechecked (for the third or fourth time) the alignment marks and made sure the crank was on T1 with no tension on #1 valves. Yellow coil lead goes to right coil which fires plugs 1 and 2. Gave it a shot (or two or three) of ether into the plenum--just a bit of ignition but no back fires.
Idle air screws set to two turns. Fuel in bowls (at least enough to dribble when I crack open the drain. Plugs dry and as stated good spark.

Running out of ideas.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

After charging the battery, I gave it another try (or several). Still no go. Noticed a kind of liquid girgling sound on left side of engine following a period of cranking. Noticed a significant puddle of frothy oil on the table beneath the left head. Looked serious so off came the head. Didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Turned the head on its back and filled the combustion chambers with water. I don't know if you can make out the photo but the water just sat there. No leak from valves so it is a relief in a way that I don't have a bent valve or cracked head. Put the head back on and tried it again, this time noticed the oil is coming from the chrome cam cover at the back of the head. I installed new cam seals but maybe I didn't put a seal under this chrome cover.

But all that still doesn't explain why it won't start and why it girgles. But tomorrow is another day and "all will be made clear." Hopefully!

In the interim I would appreciate any thoughts.
Attachments
Just before I decided to pull the head.
Just before I decided to pull the head.
004 (9).jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Water test,  no bent valves
Water test, no bent valves
007 (5).jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Not pretty, but no holes
Not pretty, but no holes
008 (4).jpg (110.82 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Ditto
Ditto
009 (3).jpg (100.13 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Transfusion failed to help the patient
Transfusion failed to help the patient
003 (10).jpg (124.37 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Bikes at present:

Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

I've had that seal go bad and there isn't a replacement. I fixed it with silicone and it lasted for years. I sold the bike so it may still be good. You have to religiously clean the seal and the mounting surfaces before applying the sealant.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Thanks Sagebrush, outer gasket did not help but M.R. cycles show an end cap seal for around $7 so it looks like that is the way to go. Got to wondering if maybe I had mismatched cams but the parts list for the 1100 show the same part number for the cams from 80-83 so that isn't a problem.

I guess the carbs will have to come off. Wish I had another known good set (without taking them off Dragon Wing) to substitute before tearing into these again.
Bikes at present:

Martiangod
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Martiangod »

Lookin good, but i'm partial to red. going to be quite the looker when done
Under the knife again
1983 1100 Eh!!!
$300 and climbing
Lots and lots of Red....
Old man, first bike, first build
Wolfie666
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Wolfie666 »

that seal is just a 27 X 43 X 9 oil seal, available almost anywhere. (just in case you wanted to know)
Don't take life seriously,
You will never get out alive!
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

006 (7).jpg
006 (7).jpg (89.74 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Thanks Wolfie,
Pulled the carbs today and opened them all back up. Found the idle jets for 2 and 4 partially and totally plugged. Following instructions from an old post here I managed to extract both pressed in jets. They didn't come out easily but after a couple of tries with each including some PB blaster, I managed to get them out. A bit gunky but the side holes were open, just the tiny hole that goes straight through was plugged tight. Brought them in the house and boiled them for a half hour and then dropped them back in aerosol carb cleaner to soak over night. Hopefully all that will be required will be compressed air.

The accelerator pump seams stiff, although the passages are open, so I plan to look into that. I also am following Mike Nixon's recommendation to plug the passages (one each) of the four air cut offs. The passages were open but the diaphragms were questionable and I don't have replacements. With luck I can put it back together and get it to run now.
Attachments
004 (10).jpg
004 (10).jpg (102.9 KiB) Viewed 120 times
008 (5).jpg
008 (5).jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 120 times
Bikes at present:

sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Looking good, and keep up the detail work! :)
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.

Return to “GoldWing UnderGround CustomiZing”