Cosicud build, a restomod

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cosicud build, a restomod

Post by ericheath »

Looks great. Your hole in the backplate is much better than mine was. Mine got kind of large, more like a slot.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

No ride report yet? Yours will be the second with 1100 cams I’ve heard of. I wonder if won’t be a little of the benefits of the higher revs like the 1000, but also better bottom end like the 1200.

You have the 1200 ignition? You probably told me and I forgot.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

You know, I got a bunch of parts with that bike but it looked to me to be stuff that I was not going to use, so...maybe I got it, maybe I did. Don't know for sure. After I get this one done maybe I can look a little longer. If I find something interesting I will let you know.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I wasn’t clear. Which ignition source are you using? 1100, 1200, 1000?
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

I am using the cams from the 1000. Not the earlier ones but the later ones. They are just what I got from eBay. The left one came with the advance mechanism. And I want to run with the mechanical fuel pump. So, as I understand it, these cams are not the "optimal" ones? I am not really going for max power, I just want the thing to run and be reliable. So, without the added lift of the earlier cams, I might not have needed to clearance the pistons, but at this point it doesn't matter. Done deal. No harm, no foul.☺
Looking like Monday or Tuesday for first startup. (If I can get my tired butt to moving and the weather holds up.) Been real nice lately. Going non-stop for almost a week trying to make up for lost time,I guess. Think marathon.
I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

The differences in lift are pretty small. You just have a 431 advance mechanism which can be swapped out easily at a later date. It has less total advance built into the mechanism, but unlike the early 75-77 years which are timed at 5 BTDC with a total advance to 37 BTDC, the 78-79’s are timed at 10 BTDC but still advance to a full 37 BTDC. The early ones have 32 degrees advance built into them. The later ones have 37 degrees advance. So you will be fine because the 1200 mark on the flywheel is at 10 BTDC.

The big difference is in the cam grinds. 78/79’s close earlier, helping bottom end and mpg but giving up higher rpm power. Yours will be pretty close to the same as the 1200 cams but with a little more lift (almost 1mm) and a little less overlap.
5E993F98-C454-4026-9045-C710A494AE0D.jpeg
5E993F98-C454-4026-9045-C710A494AE0D.jpeg (81.02 KiB) Viewed 223 times
Attachments
733D7194-2DC8-4ED4-AA31-2C7457AACC67.jpeg
733D7194-2DC8-4ED4-AA31-2C7457AACC67.jpeg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 223 times
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Wow! There is quite the difference between the two cams. But I am not really going for any increase in top speed. However, I am looking for an earlier speedo that shows 150 mph just for grins. :lol: But that is for much later. And maybe the possible increase in fuel mileage can't be all bad. :)
I still have quite a lot to finish before startup: exhaust, alternator, carb setup (Holley-Weber progressive 2 bbl). Sounds like a short list, and it is, but they will each take several hours to accomplish. Well, maybe not the exhaust. :orange
I cut my intake runner tubes from sink drain tubes (brass, shiny, chrome) and will fit them to the intake elbows and center manifold with fat rubber hose and clamps.
Here are a couple of shots of the cam belt covers. I was short one of the 1200 cam cover bolts, so I had to use an old one. ;) It just clears the pulley with space enough for the belt. The belt might rub a slight bit but it should "self clearance" itself quickly. :)
001.jpg
001.jpg (103.51 KiB) Viewed 211 times
002 (2).jpg
002 (2).jpg (109.15 KiB) Viewed 211 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (118.35 KiB) Viewed 211 times

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Like my little "ding-a-ling"? lolol lolol lolol

Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Hukmut wrote:Like my little "ding-a-ling"? lolol lolol lolol
Some guys just gotta have their 'stuff' hanging out front... lolol lolol lolol
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Long day. Finally got the alternator mounted satisfactorily. Photos tomorrow along with installation of carb setup. Many more days like today and I might actually have a bike to ride by the weekend. :orange
And watch it rain! :shock: :IDTS:
I have ridden in the rain before. :8)

Ride safe, y'all.

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Getting down to the nitty-gritty. :orange
Radiator, exhaust, coolant, oil, and all those little details that you know are so much fun to fix. :IDTS:
Like that rotted/split u joint boot. It wasn't split until, well, I know you know. :x
Went to the parts store in town this a.m. to get fuel hose and clamps. It wasn't until I got home and remembered: the fuel filter. :roll: DOH!
Another issue, just need one more, right? The gl1800 rear master cylinder that I put on our favorite project bike, seems to not have enough free play. The pedal moves 1/4", then hard pedal. Not enough movement to activate the brake light switch. Might need to mount the m/c a little higher. No big shakes. Just make another bracket. :)
More to come. This ain't over yet! :-D

Ride safe, y'all!

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Nice work, looking forward to that ride report. Regarding a replacement for the "Jimmy Carter" speedometer, if you intend to stay with the 1100 style and color gauges you will have to source a European speedo. I have one on the orange bike and it is identical except for going all the way to 140 mph. (you probably don't want the ones for kph!!)
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Or find an '83 speedo. They went back to 140 or 150, IIRC...
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

THAT is what I want! :orange Had an older VW that had the speedo in kph. My passengers would freak out when they saw that we were going 100! lolol Sixty mph for you and me. :-D

It has been, literally, a marathon week. Good thing I'm retired. ;)
Today, I decided that I would slip the key into the ignition switch, give it a twist, just to get the oil/coolant circulating, before it really meant something, and ..... .. .
nothing. :shock: :( :x :lol:
Now why would I even expect the starter to work?!?! :IDTS:
It is, after all, "an electro-mechanical device
subject to failure". Hello, Mr. Murphy. lolol
I am not a fan of AGM batteries. I know, some might think they are the best thing since sliced bread.
Swapped it out for a "known good" battery. No joy.
Jumpered it. Nope.
Tried another start relay. Ditto. Just a click.
So, tomorrow will be "try to fix the starter day". dancr
We shall see.
Got some good photos though:
005.jpg
005.jpg (115.81 KiB) Viewed 138 times
004.jpg
004.jpg (117.65 KiB) Viewed 138 times

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Oh, and by the way, those intake runners are large hoses with springs inside. :shock: They are a bunch easier to fab up than the shiny, chrome, drain tubes. They work. I know. :orange

AND, I did not get the shifter arm with the gl1200. But the shifter arm from the gl1100 will fit, with some tweakage. (read bending) ;) It hits the starter.
Always somethin'. :-D
Ride safe, y'all!