Cosicud build, a restomod

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Cosicud build, a restomod

Post by ericheath »

Have you turned it over slowly by hand? Looks like the fuel is not hooked up so it’s not hydro locked. I’d hate to think your up against a valve.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

I have turned the motor by hand at least twenty turns so I know it isn't hitting a valve. I will be checking volts/resistance with a volt/ohm meter before doing anything else.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

"Old school"? That's me. Case in point:
before
001.jpg
001.jpg (104.63 KiB) Viewed 234 times
after
002.jpg
002.jpg (78.03 KiB) Viewed 234 times
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

A photograph can tell much more than mere words. :orange However, when technology screws up, mere words are what we are left with. :oops: I had fully intended to show what I did to help install that starter. I placed one of those magnetic parts tray (available at Harbor Freight) right next to the engine case right next to where the starter goes in. The magnet will pull the starter drive sprocket right into place so that the starter can just slip on in. :orange
All I have to do next is replace the starter solenoid that I burned up trying to run that nasty starter. ;) It would have already been done but it started raining buckets. :|

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Did you ever hear of Mel Fisher?
One of his daily things to say was "this could be the day!"
Well, today is the day! dancr
After replacing the start relay, installing the fuel filter, setting the timing, loosening up the rear caliper, and that turn of the key, she roared to life! :-D :orange
That progressive Holley-Weber 2 bbl. (purchased for $15) actually works! (albeit a bit rough, initially). After a bit of running and getting the fuel in all the right places and setting the idle, I just HAD to go and get my gear on.
What a ride! :orange
There is hardly anything as satisfying as riding an old bike that you just spent nearly three weeks, almost non-stop rebuilding, down the highway.
There is still a few things that remain fixing: the speedo quit about a mile and a half, I am not quite satisfied with the rear caliper, and as much as I like a large taillight, that one will be changed out along with the rear signals. Going with an earlier Honda product.
And, probably some paint details. :orange
She seems long legged. That is, at about 55 mph, the tach was showing nearly 3000 rpm.
But going uphill, against the wind, the acceleration was effortless. crossy.gif
She starts with just a touch of the starter button. The (original to the bike, as I got it but chopped off) exhaust has a nice, but not too loud, bark. :orange
AND, FYI, this bike project only cost $1000.00.
Details sent upon request.
IMG_20180224_155601.jpg
IMG_20180224_155601.jpg (196.35 KiB) Viewed 218 times
But really, is ANY bike, that you can call "your own" really and truly FINISHED? :IDTS:
It has been said that "a good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving".
The next project bike, another '81 gl1100, is already on the workstand ready to be disassembled, and redone. :orange
I might wait a while, though. Got some riding to do first! :orange
IMG_20180224_155748.jpg
IMG_20180224_155748.jpg (176.81 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_20180224_155759.jpg
IMG_20180224_155759.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 218 times
IMG_20180224_155626.jpg
IMG_20180224_155626.jpg (196.78 KiB) Viewed 218 times

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I am a fan. That one really came together nicely - and for a nice bottom line. If I'd left well enough alone, I wouldn't be in too deep on my '78. But, I didn't and I am.

Nice bike. I'll be watching the next one.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
OhioBill
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/OhioBill

Post by OhioBill »

Looks good. Also looks like an early Valkyrie seat, ain't it comfortable. I've had one on both my 75 and 78 for years. Enjoy your riding.
OhioBill

I now have GPS so I no longer get lost, just confused.
Retired and Loving it.
When I die send my body to the scrap yard.
Two hips and a shoulder replaced.

1975 Blue/ Green (Now Black) My main ride
1975 Red Gone to my son! (Burned Feb 2013)
1979 Black (to be restored)
1979 Blue (Sold)
1978 Black (back in the fold) sold again. Bought it back, again
1993 blue 1500 Sold
1976 Restoring
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I thought it was a Valkyrie see at first, too. But I replaced my 97 Valk's with a Mustang seat and the original does not have that seam.

<<EDIT>>: Doh! I just went out and looked at it (hanging on the wall) and I'll danged - it does have that seam! I must be cracking up!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

I enjoyed reading your build, could you give some details on your carb and settings please?
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Holy smokes! I just noticed that thing has a super sano installation of an external alternator! Apologies if that has already been discussed here, but man that is a nice installation. I've never seen one done on a standard that looked that well integrated.

<<EDIT>>: OK, made me go back and look. One brief mention in post number 40. Nice work.
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Thanks to all who helped with this build! action1
Yes, that Valkyrie seat is comfortable. I plan on "stretching" the tank to make it "blend in" better. I am also thinking of replacing those BMWr100 handlebars (I think they might be what is called superbike bars) with upside down clubman bars. Like I said before, no bike is ever really "finished". :orange
The bike really rides smooth. The added 4" length overall makes the bike "feel" bigger.[quote][/quote]
When I purchased the tires online, from leatherup.com, they only had rear tires available to fit the '85 wheels f/r, which might also make it "feel" bigger. Really smooths out the road. 35 psi in both tires. crossy.gif
The intake setup is what I had on the bike prior to the rebuild. Holley-Weber progressive two barrel typically found on the Pinto, Mustang 2, Capri, or other Ford products. The carb was also sold in kit form for replacing the garbage fuel injection on some VW buses. I bought just the center section to mount my carb and used bulk radiator hose for the runners. Inside those tubes are stretched out springs (originally used to cover radiator hose on the outsides). Crazy, but it works. No rejetting is needed. The carb has one of those flat style air cleaners. I ground off the rubber on the intakes in order to fit the big hoses. I made a bracket to hold the center part to get a base measurement for the length of the 2-4 side hoses, and then cut them to length. The most difficult part was the #1 hose, but due to the hose being flexible, made it a bit easier to fit. :)
A bracket was made to mount the shortened single throttle cable. I will provide photos asap.
If you have any questions, please ask! :-D

I plan on riding this bike as long as I can. No, it is not for sale. :orange j

Ride safe y'all.

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

After putting some miles (24) on this bike, I have noticed that the front forks are leaking, (rebuild time), the speedometer drive needs something, probably replaced, and that the ignition switch has to be turned
to the "off" position. Sounds like a no-brainer, right? :IDTS: Turning the switch off generally means that the engine dies, the lights go off and you are done, right? NOT! This switch has an "ACC" position. :shock: The old switch did not . I just so happen to have wired the Dyna and the alternator excite wires to the accessory terminals on the fuse box. Yep, dead battery. :oops: After an overnight charge, we are good to go once again. :orange
As far as the external alternator:
IMAG1781.jpg
IMAG1781.jpg (138.5 KiB) Viewed 147 times
AND that front brake needs a bit of attention, as well. Getting the last bit of air out of that metal tube that the front brake hoses attach to, is, well, you know. I would really like to find a banjo bolt fitting with a bleeder. :orange

More later. Probably.

Ride safe, y'all!

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

PM me if you would like any of the finer details of my build. :orange
I am more than happy to fill you in. After all, that is what a forum is for! :-D

Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

I have been neglecting the orange Cosicud bike in order to assemble the other '81 gl1100.

We discovered that the engine was bad in it, so we went with a spare '83 engine. I put the heads and new belts, oil, coolant, etc. and when we went to start it, she seemed to be not getting enough spark. I think that maybe the coils might be bad. confused22
You know that feeling: putting a bike together, it takes several hours/ days to complete, you twist that key, and then,..... :IDTS: The bike did not run when we got it, so....
Gotta check the basics. Sparkers are new, fresh gas, clean carb. Timing belts are spot-on, valves are adjusted. It is getting fuel, but barely fires. The bike is basically complete, except for the seat.
The plan is to put a Vetter fairing on it but the bracket we got is too wide.
(Got them separately.) Cutting and welding, is next. We will make it fit. :orange
I mounted two new Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires on the '81 gl1100 Comstars also.
Man, those old tires really get hard and stiff! :-? Dunlops. Probably fifteen years old. :shock:
Brakes have been cleaned and bled. New front m/c.
This one is painted white. Looks great! action1
Everything is covered in yellow pine pollen! What a mess! :lol: AAchoo!!! lolol lolol
Pictures tomorrow! I promise. :orange

Tomorrow is another day. It will run! :orange dancr

Meanwhile, ride safe, y'all! crossy.gif