Aftermarket Speedo/ Tach for Naked Wing

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

montanabob
Lead Member
Lead Member

Aftermarket Speedo/ Tach for Naked Wing

Post by montanabob »

I'm at that point with my naked GL1200 project that I need to find a speedo & tach. Lots of aftermarket stuff on ebay and Amazon, including some pretty cool looking digital units that include fuel level and engine temp too! Amazing what they're doing in China... :-? Has anyone got personal experience with an aftermarket set-up?

Thanks!
Bob
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Aftermarket Speedo/ Tach for Naked Wing

Post by Easter »

See the last page of my thread "All it needs is a battery----" for a photo of a GPS speedo, not cheap but high quality. New to me so I don't have much experience with it yet but like it so far. I have used a couple of the low cost miniature speedos with satisfactory results. My last build has a digital tach/fuel gauge combo but so far I have not been able to get the fuel gauge to work. Non-existent instructions. It looks good though.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
codyjames707
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by codyjames707 »

I've been looking at new speedometers and tachometers to replace the bulky stock ones and was confused when it came to the ratios. Seeing a bunch of different answers with a lot of uncertainty, I finally found a solid website with clear information. So just incase anyone was ever wondering and needed answers like I did 3 hrs ago, here ya go!

Speedometer: 60mph : 2240rpm
Tachometer: 4:1

The website is: http://mostynindustries.com.au/speedo-tacho-ratios
1977 Gl1000 DARKGREEN-WING
BOTM April, 2018
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=59710
Vestjyden
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Vestjyden »

I've got an aftermarket speedo/tach unit on my bike (1980 GL1100). It's a Motogadget Chrono Classic (link to motogadget.com). It has analog display of the RPM and speed is shown in the first line of the display. The second line of the display can show a number of different things, cycled through with a menu button.

RPM input is a wire connected to the ignition coils and speed input is a mangetic sensor at the wheel. It has LED lights for oil pressure, neutral switch, turn signal and high beam. It can also display oil pressure, oil temperature and water temperature, if you have the right sensors wired to it.

I think it's a nice unit and replaces all of the original cluster except fuel tank indication (I just drive a certain distance between fill up or until reserve tank).

- Simon