How do I install ammo can panniers?

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

x01660
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

How do I install ammo can panniers?

Post by x01660 »

Hello everyone!

Bike: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Question: I really like the ammo can panniers look. So how do I go about mounting them?

I don't have any of the saddlebag hardware, so I'd need to get that, but if anyone (There's one guy with a rat GL1000 that has the cans) knows how to go about that, or has a writeup that'd be great. Thanks. :)
-x01660

"The best motorcycle is the one well ridden" anim-cheers1

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: How do I install ammo can panniers?

Post by desertrefugee »

You'll probably have to fabricate your own brackets. They sure don't sell kits for the job.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
raiddrten
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: How do I install ammo can panniers?

Post by raiddrten »

With all that flat and straight metal on the ammo can. I would suggest you use angle iron from bed frames. Tenants often leave beds behind for some reason and college towns at the end of semesters are a very rich source of the frames.

Bed frame metal is thin but very strong and welds easily. i always try to keep a few available in the stash of iron