Swissitalian 1200 custom bike

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Swissitalian 1200 custom bike

Post by DonGold »

I know the function of the bottle. Without recovery there will be about 5% air space in the radiator with cold engine. And with hot engine actually no restriction. Isn’t? I will try it and keep the temperature under control.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

But if you start with the radiator full, which you should, then when it warms up and pushes fluid out there won't be any to go back in. It won't be very efficient. Then if it get even warmer and pushed more fluid out you'll have even less coolant. There are plenty of after market bottles you could use that would look good. Always something to go with the build you are doing. Or make one.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

I already have the red camping bottle of my daughter on it. I can not believe that the radiator is getting always emptier . When the engine is cold, there is on the top of the radiator an air cushion because no water could flow back. When the engine its getting warmer, the water pushes the air out until the radiator is full again and it only flows out if the water gets warmer than run befor. Or is this a consideration error?

The radiator is designed for 1200 pounds maximum weight. My bike is driven with a maximum of 750 pounds and has even more wind for cooling. I think it should work, otherwise a bottle is quickly mounted again.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Mine is completely naked and what Robin says will happen. Just a few hot surges of running the engine hard will pull the volume of coolant down. The radiator gives the appearance of quite a bit of volume, but you have to remember that once the top chamber of the radiator is emptied out, it is only the coolant inside each tube- —not very much. It doesn’t need to come down very much to be the level of the upper discharge tube on the motor.

If you think about the extra time it takes to fill a radiator from the coolant trying to go down, so the air can go up, you can probably envision a point where the pump will starve and start mixing air. At that point it becomes an issue of the radiator cap and pressure. If the pressure is above cap pressure it’s going to vent. If the top of the radiator was all air, it would be fine, but if it’s bubbly or all coolant trying to work down past the air in the cooling fin tubes, some will get expelled. If some of the air is steam, it will slowly remove some of the liquid in the form of steam. If it gets to certain point where it’s bubbly at the pump, what happens then?

I have a 1200 black with a larger volume 1100 radiator and it requires a reservoir. I’ve seen others who run without them, but mine eventually gets low enough to begin overheating.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

Thanks for the explanation. I'll get first everything running well with coolant reservoir and the new motoscope pro. After that I will try without, see what happens and inform.
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

DonGold wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I'll get first everything running well with coolant reservoir and the new motoscope pro. After that I will try without, see what happens and inform.
Are you fitting any bodywork to it?
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

Sorry, I do not understand the question. Bodywork in relation to the reservoir?
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

I once said that I want to unlink the brake because I am only a front braker and brake with only one disk it’s to weak. If someone plans to do the same, unfortunately it did not work with less money. The front brake calipers have different pistons, the master cylinder is too weak for two front discs and the rear brake cylinder is too strong for only the rear brake. The rear wheel is blocking too fast. In the future I will change the front end and then record this goal again.
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

UK_Andy wrote:
DonGold wrote:Thanks for the explanation. I'll get first everything running well with coolant reservoir and the new motoscope pro. After that I will try without, see what happens and inform.
Are you fitting any bodywork to it?
False tank, side covers, front n rear mudguard
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

No, no false tank, cover or fender. Today I modified the exhaust, but I'm not satisfied. I have seen, that a lot of custum wings stock mufflers from other biks ride. Do they fit without any adjustments? Which one?
20171119_183249.jpg
20171119_183249.jpg (159.72 KiB) Viewed 167 times
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

DonGold wrote:No, no false tank, cover or fender. Today I modified the exhaust, but I'm not satisfied. I have seen, that a lot of custum wings stock mufflers from other biks ride. Do they fit without any adjustments? Which one?

20171119_183249.jpg
quite a few folks use Harley slip on mufflers..which are easy to find. I think the mounting tab may have to be moved but I'm not 100% sure.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Pre-cat Sportster mufflers are a perfect fit. Mine are on with no welding - just some shims, clamps and easily fabbed hangers. No leaks, looks great, sounds great. That's why they're a favorite choice.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

Thanks. Do you have a picture of your bike with the Sportster mufflers? I have two mufflers of mine Sportster, but are the cat one. I look on ebay für the others.
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

I fitted these on mine. Little bit of welding but they fit very well

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38-51mm-Univ ... Sw0UdXrV~H
DonGold
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by DonGold »

Andy, I like the pipe shape. I do not understand the measurement. The text says, Pipe length 44cm and the photo is measured with 50cm without cap. Do you have a picture of your motorcycle with this pipe?