Out of the Dumpster

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: Out of the Dumpster

Post by Easter »

I went to the paint store yesterday. I was reminded again how expensive automotive paint is! The biggest (so far) issue with prepping the bike for paint is filling the multitude of rust pits left behind after sandblasting off the chrome. With the extremely hot weather even early, the glazing putty starts to cure in a couple of minutes. I mix up the smallest possible amount but still throw most of what I mix out. I am not good at this but I am persistent and with hours of sanding I am almost done with the back fender. Only about six inches of it actually shows behind the seat but it all has to be done anyway. Fortunately the other fender doesn't have any pits and just one small dent which I was able to carefully tap out. I gave it the first coat of glaze this morning (over the dent) and it looks pretty close. I use a lot of sanding primer to fill minor scratches and blemishes. Seems to work. Color is a dark green (Ford) metalic so it will show poor prep almost as bad as gloss black.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

My replacement solenoids (ordered two), arrived yesterday so I was able to install one. I ordered another of the Suzuki units (not OEM) because it fits so nicely and is cheap, but just in case, I ordered a stock style from Ricks electronics. Not surprisingly his was more than four times as expensive and twice as heavy. But if the starter doesn't drag maybe the light duty one will be sufficient.
The bike fired right up and with the replacement fuel pump, kept running till I shut it off. It is still on the table and doesn't have brakes yet so can't really give it a test but it starts and sounds great. Mike Nixon did the carbs so I am not expecting any issues from them. Hot weather permitting I have been and will be working on paint prep. I think I have the fenders in shape for paint so now time to start on the shelter. I won't be using side covers so not a whole lot to prep and paint.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Speaking of brakes, I decided to go ahead and fill and bleed the back brakes as the front lines should be here any day. Unfortunately I ran into a bit of a problem and to make a long story short, I damaged one of the new seals when I rebuilt the caliper some months back causing it to leak badly around one of the pistons. I will have to order a new kit. So it goes.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Dark green base coat (yes, it is a fad and I am a tag along) is on and looks satisfactory. I don't have any more cup liners for my paint gun so I can't put the clear on for a few days. The plan is to get two or three coats then polish it out and decide what to do about graphics. Maybe some pin stripes, maybe just the wing decal.

I got an invitation from a friend here in TX to go with him and his brother out to North Carolina and ride the area around The Dragon's Tail (Deals Gap) so I jumped at the chance. Plan to be gone about a week starting Aug. 12 (next Saturday). I just got back from riding the black hills and earlier this summer spent a week in the Big Bend area of Texas riding. This is the first summer of my retirement and I am kind of liking it so far!!

Regarding the back brakes, that has been quite a fiasco. It has been one leak after another. First was an aluminum crush washer that somehow stretched out to look like the handle of pop top lid. Next was tracking down a leak in the caliper, thought it might be the O-ring that seals the two halves together but no it was a piston seal with a notch out (as described earlier) but after I got the replacement and carefully installed it, I still had a significant leak coming out of the caliper. Back apart--turns out the other piston seal was also notched. I was more careful in examining them this time and I don't believe I was to blame after all. Both seals from the first kit were notched the same way and it appears to me it was a manufacturing problem. Fortunately the new kit was fine and I had the necessary seal to repair the other half of the caliper. So back to priming and bleeding. This time I was getting a slow leak out of the bottom of the master cylinder (if you are getting tired of reading this long description, just consider how tired I was of wiping up brake fluid!) Anyway, after carefully examining the rebuilt MC, I came to the conclusion the bottom cup was on the wrong side of the piston rod. Cup was facing correctly just too far up the rod. I suppose I put it there, can't remember, but after relocating it, the leak seems to have stopped. The brake is bled and all is well that ends well. Lines for front are scheduled for tomorrow's delivery.
Cheers and thanks for you tolerance type1
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Brakes are installed and working (if a bit spongy yet) front and back. I installed hydraulic actuated brake light switches, front and rear. They are wired in but since there is no tail light yet, can't test. I am at a standstill now till the paintwork is completed. I still have some decisions to make regarding instrumentation and rear light/plate. I think I will be happy with the Sportster seat and if so I will probably pick up a new one. There are lots of take-offs available on ebay at a reasonable price. I might get the clear on yet this week but most likely it will have to wait till I return.

I have attached some photos to reduce the boredom and to show the notches in the brake piston seals. I don't think I caused them but I can't believe I overlooked them at the time I was installing them. confused22
Attachments
Sources of three of the four leaks
Sources of three of the four leaks
20170807_142952_resized.jpg (45.31 KiB) Viewed 291 times
20170807_154628_resized.jpg
20170807_154628_resized.jpg (83.11 KiB) Viewed 291 times
20170807_154646_resized.jpg
20170807_154646_resized.jpg (77.18 KiB) Viewed 291 times
20170807_154716_resized.jpg
20170807_154716_resized.jpg (61.02 KiB) Viewed 291 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Paint and clear are on and looking good. Now the dilemma, should I risk messing them up with a cut and polish or leave em as they are with a few very small hickies ? Well, the decision will wait till I return.

Got this cute little tach, gas gauge off ebay. Fits the stock gasket for the shelter but as it has no instructions and about 12 wires, I haven't a clue how to install it.
Attachments
20170810_124700_resized.jpg
20170810_124700_resized.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

This is going to be fun. Here are the directions from the website.

Tachometer unit: RPM
Working Voltage: DC 12V
Size: approx 60mm(2-3/8")*55mm(2-3/16")
50mm(2”) mirror diameter,62mm(2-7/16") outer diameter
LED Indicator Display: Blue(speed),Red(fuel level)
Universal fits most motorcycles(please check the size before you purchase)
Wire Connection: Red-positive,Black-negative,Yellow-oil sensor signal,Green- picks up speed signal
Instructions: not included

100% brand new,aftermarket part
Lightweight & portable circle design,LED digital display
Silver metal construction,weatherproof (with rubber seal)
High performance,tachometer and fuel gauge combined in one
Bright & accurate reading,can see real-time data clearly at all angles in dark

Tachometer installation and debugging method:
1.Connect the positive and negative pole to power supply correctly.
2.Turn on the electric door switch,tachometer will display to 0,and then let the signal line touch the positive pole of power supply.
If the digital display changes,it can work normally.
3.Connect the signal cable,start the car,and then it can display speed.

Fuel gauge installation and debugging methods:
1.Connect the positive and negative pole to power supply correctly.
2.Turn on the electric door switch,fuel gauge displays a grid of red,and then connected signal line to the negative pole.
Wait for a while,LED light will all light up slowly,indicating normal operation.
3.Connect the signal line, fill up,slowly adjust the potentiometer to make all the LED lights on.
When oil runs out,slightly adjust potentiometer so as to make only one red LED light on.(Please note: The original fuel gauge can not be used together) dancr

Well, it only cost me $10 and I am sure I will get that much fun out of it :orange
Bikes at present:

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I think you better read the instructios in the original Chinese ....

Gord :guitar
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Rule: always let your painted parts cure for at least a week before installing.

Well, I broke the rule again. Just had to see what all this work was leading up to. I have been calling this the Dumpster Project and said I would name the bike Goldie the Dumpster Queen (AKA Goldie) but after seeing it together maybe it should be JOHN DEER (or maybe OH, DEAR JOHN!) girl1

Anyway, couldn't resist putting a few panels on for photos.
Attachments
20170810_162153_resized.jpg
20170810_162153_resized.jpg (103.85 KiB) Viewed 259 times
20170810_162807_resized.jpg
20170810_162807_resized.jpg (105.79 KiB) Viewed 259 times
Bikes at present:

Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Looks awesome, I really like the green with the gold accents.
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

+1 on the color, that's gorgeous and so refreshing to see a new color on an Old Wing. Love it!

Cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Wired in the tail light. How can such a tiny light be so much trouble? Well it is in and working properly so that is it for lights and horn. Idiot lights and speedometer are still an open question. The Chinese mystery gauge is mounted but not wired. Have to be fresh and in a really good mood to start that!
Spent most of the day color sanding and polishing on the green parts. I think they came out very nice but in the future I will have to watch the final sanding before paint. I ended up with some tiny sanding scratches that can't be buffed out because they go all the way to the bare part or at least the primer. You can only see them if you look really really close in bright light but after so much work trying to get it right, it is frustrating. The shelter parts are mounted and the seat is mounted, hopefully for keeps.

The bike starts and runs great but I have been waiting to get the seat on for a test ride. Well, it is late and I am tired and Hurricane Harvey is breathing down our necks so that will have to wait. No new pictures as it looks the same after polishing out as it did before I left a couple of weeks ago except for the tail light.

I have not had it running long enough to be sure it is charging properly so that remains to be confirmed. Still had lots of juice in the battery when I returned from North Carolina.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Spent some time this afternoon wiring up the mystery gauge, with rain beating on the metal roof and the occasional falling limb raising my blood pressure when it hit the roof. The tach portion is working, I have no idea if it is accurate but seems to be in the general vicinity. The fuel gauge is connected temporarily and shows two bars (out of ten I think) which seems low. There are two white wires which I have not even attempted to connect. Maybe they are for internal lights but since the display is lighted I don't think they would be needed for that. Maybe they are for idiot lights that are concealed? Almost hate to mess with them as I don't know if they need 12 volts or if they simply need to be grounded. (will try grounding them first!)
I will say it looks nice and fits the shelter. I ordered a small (2.5") emco mechanical gauge today for the speedometer, it has idiot lights for Hi/Lo beam, neutral, oil pressure and turn signal (1) That should solve the question about what to do for instrumentation. I have still to connect the fan control sensor. Getting very close now.
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Messed around a bit with the gauge today. Tach seems pretty close but the fuel gauge is a mystery as are the two white wires. One seems to do nothing at all while the other will cause the fuel gauge to advance two or three bars. :-?

Charging seems good as I am reading 14 Volts at high idle. Drops down a bit at slow idle.

Decided to try my hand at forming a license plate holder from 5/16 round stock to mount below the rear fender. Got it bent to shape and nuts welded on to mount to the rear of the frame where the helmet holders would go. Now I need to find a piece of flat stock to weld to the rod for the plate. So far so good except for burning a hole with the welder in the 20 ga stock I swiped off the back of the BMW parts bike. It is just the right size and shape so I will just use it as a pattern for heavier stock. No pictures of that yet but I did take a couple of the mounted gauge and tail light. (Just in case you have never seen anything like them before :IDTS: )

The last photo is a bit (or maybe a lot) blurry but it is intended to show the final wiring of the M-unit and the foam acts as a visual filler beneath the Sportster seat. It is pretty much invisible when the seat is in place.
Attachments
20170827_115059_resized.jpg
20170827_115059_resized.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 168 times
20170827_115145_resized.jpg
20170827_115145_resized.jpg (82.79 KiB) Viewed 168 times
20170827_115251_resized.jpg
20170827_115251_resized.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 168 times
20170827_115025_resized.jpg
20170827_115025_resized.jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 168 times
Bikes at present:

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

The weather has cleared (mostly) in the San Antonio area so I held my breath and took Goldie out for a short run. Just about a half mile. Wasn't dressed for riding and wife wasn't home to rescue me if, as often happens on "street trials," I end up calling for pick-up. But all went well. No mufflers yet so very loud and a good deal of popping when I let off the throttle. Came back and adjusted the location of the foot brake. That was the only adjustment I found to make on this short run.
My custom license plate holder is finished, subject to actual installation, and the paint is drying. That leaves the mufflers and the speedo. Can't think of anything else at this point, but as soon as I finish typing this I am going to order a speedometer cable so that I can actually hook up the speedo on order!
Attachments
Ready for paint
Ready for paint
20170828_091224_resized.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 151 times
20170828_083515_resized.jpg
20170828_083515_resized.jpg (56.07 KiB) Viewed 151 times
It isn't easy to weld on a bolt this small but it is solid and most important HIDDEN
It isn't easy to weld on a bolt this small but it is solid and most important HIDDEN
20170828_083615_resized.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 151 times
Bikes at present:

Return to “GoldWing UnderGround CustomiZing”