Ignition shorts

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Ignition shorts

Post by ericheath »

Got to take my bike out for the first ride of the year. Yay! Made it about a mile and started backfiring and randomly cutting out. Boooo! Limped home and started looking through the spaghetti wiring I have. Could not find anything. Checked fuses and found one with solder bits rolling around. Bus fuses don't seem to last nowadays. Through in a new fuse and figured I'd continue with that magic first ride of the year, but no joy. Still cutting out going over bumps, which are overly abundant here. I smacked the kill switch pretty hard thinking it could be a short there, but couldn't get it to quit. Wiggled all wires and connections I could get my hands on. Could be my power supply to the ignition itself as the electronic tach would drop right to zero.

Just thought of something while writing my whiney tale. Last year my actual Kawasaki ignition was intermittent as one of the screws had loss ended up and fallen out. I have a hunch!

I'll have to try and tear into it tomorrow. Grrrr.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Ignition shorts

Post by ericheath »

It ended up being a circuit breaker just a bit loose. I probably knocked it loose putting the battery cables back on. Time for a ride before the rain comes.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

Good that you found it quickly.
Chasing wiring gremlins can be frustrating.
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Glad to see your back home. Meant to ask if winter vacation was over.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I'm home and I left before the snow, and it is beginning to look like it's done here. A few piles around, but above freezing forecast into mid April. It sure was nice not having cold feet and blowing my nose all the time.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Now that I am retired, we are trying to plan trips to the far north that will get us out of the South Texas heat in summer. Don't know if I can handle a small RV for two months or more, or if wife can handle me in that space for that time!
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS: