Always trying new things.. Motogadget M-Unit

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Always trying new things.. Motogadget M-Unit

Post by wingrider »

CYBORG wrote:Been, following this (sorta) And may have missed it, but what is the price? Some of the "farkles" have peeked my interest :lol:

Doug, they are running about $300...
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Not what I would call expensive considering what they do. I'm more old school when it comes to gauges,( and other things), but I might look into it for a future project
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Jury still out on the Lithium Battery. By rights it should spin the starter, but I don't think the factory charge was very much. I've been step charging it, babysitting it, to see if it will be enough. Have to be careful charging these things.

1978 Learning Experience
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Once I got my Lithium right to where it was getting a good charge, it spins my 1200 over easily. At first, it didn't seem to last long. Spun it over rapidly but in cooler weather only three or four bursts and she played out. If my bowls were a little low and I didn't choke it right away and get gas to the cylinders quickly, sometimes it ran out of juice before it started. I put the charger on it, because running them too low is a no-no. They do recover quickly though. I originally had mine set up to read actual battery voltage via a relay like lots do due to corrosion and voltage losses. With it like that, I think the regulator was seeing 13.2 or more at the battery and dropped the charge rate. 13.2 for a lead acid is still a positive charge from 12.6 volts, but for a LIFEPO4 it is minimal. It ended up dying a few times on me while riding. So I ditched the relay and it has been great ever since. (Two summers now) Their Achilles is cold weather. They hold an amazing charge just sitting in the cold. Last winter I would randomly check it and it was 13.6-13.8 volts all the time. Turn the ignition on for three seconds and it would fall quickly. Leave it five minutes and it would recover and then have enough to turn the engine over. They are a different bird.

When I came in from a 1-2 hour ride, I would check it and sometimes it would be 14.6 to 14.8 which according to the manual is too high. Turn the key and headlight on three-five seconds and it would drop to 13.8. Leave it until the next day and it's 13.8 volts. I think 14.4 is the recommended maximum charge on them.

I think a volt meter might be a very good idea with them.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

sunnbobb wrote:Doug: https://revivalcycles.com/
Thanks. saw the guys video. Very interesting. Don't want to mess with what I got already, so I need to look for a project worthy of one
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

ericheath wrote:Once I got my Lithium right to where it was getting a good charge, it spins my 1200 over easily. At first, it didn't seem to last long. Spun it over rapidly but in cooler weather only three or four bursts and she played out. If my bowls were a little low and I didn't choke it right away and get gas to the cylinders quickly, sometimes it ran out of juice before it started. I put the charger on it, because running them too low is a no-no. They do recover quickly though. I originally had mine set up to read actual battery voltage via a relay like lots do due to corrosion and voltage losses. With it like that, I think the regulator was seeing 13.2 or more at the battery and dropped the charge rate. 13.2 for a lead acid is still a positive charge from 12.6 volts, but for a LIFEPO4 it is minimal. It ended up dying a few times on me while riding. So I ditched the relay and it has been great ever since. (Two summers now) Their Achilles is cold weather. They hold an amazing charge just sitting in the cold. Last winter I would randomly check it and it was 13.6-13.8 volts all the time. Turn the ignition on for three seconds and it would fall quickly. Leave it five minutes and it would recover and then have enough to turn the engine over. They are a different bird.

When I came in from a 1-2 hour ride, I would check it and sometimes it would be 14.6 to 14.8 which according to the manual is too high. Turn the key and headlight on three-five seconds and it would drop to 13.8. Leave it until the next day and it's 13.8 volts. I think 14.4 is the recommended maximum charge on them.

This post certainly discourages any thoughts of a Lithium battery for my bikes.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Not sure I would trust one not to catch fire. To many news reports on problems
1978 custom GL1000
1985 gl1200
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

CYBORG wrote:Not sure I would trust one not to catch fire. To many news reports on problems
action1
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

LIFEPO 4 batteries are not the same as Lithium Ion batteries which can both catch fire and explode. How many lead acid batteries have you seen explode?? I'll bet it's more than you've seen LIFEPO4 batteries.

They are also being retro- fit into bikes/cars with regulators designed for 6 cell, 2.1 volt per cell, lead acid batteries. I really thought by now they would have caught on more, but using a different regulator. Unfortunately that's another cost to an already expensive transition. Maybe some day we'll go back to adjustable regulators. LIFEPO4 batteries are 4 cells of 3.3 volts per cell. ( or eight cells or twelve or sixteen depending on application) Mine is an eight cell. They crank better because they're higher volts, 13.2 vs 12.6. So they need a bit more juice on the bottom of the charging scale, but are not supposed to be charged above 14.4 volts. Most warranties are pretty vague about coverage if they're overcharged. I think most automotive regulators run above 14.4 volts.

I had the misfortune on my first ride cooking the battery in just a few miles because my sense wire had gotten pulled off its connector. The battery was hot and oozed some tarry looking stuff out of it. I was pretty nervous for the reasons mentioned by Cyborg. ( Since have found out they don't run the risk of runaway cells ) Later in the summer I took the cooked apart and found all but one cell were still usable. Some were still 3.2 or 3.3 volts. They are just bigger 'D' cell A123 batteries in a case of plastic. The better ones have balancing charger capabilities. The black goo that oozed out of mine was melted plastic. After one summer of issues, I thought I would give up but I have been happy since.

If you call about a Goldwing, they'll tell you you need a sixteen cell battery. I tell them it's for a VFR1000. If you run a lot of accessories, maybe you need more. So I'll stop, back to the M-Unit.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Good info, exactly what I did re: vfr 1000. Mine is a shorei.

1978 Learning Experience
Sugs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sugs »

ericheath wrote:Once I got my Lithium right to where it was getting a good charge, it spins my 1200 over easily. At first, it didn't seem to last long. Spun it over rapidly but in cooler weather only three or four bursts and she played out. If my bowls were a little low and I didn't choke it right away and get gas to the cylinders quickly, sometimes it ran out of juice before it started. I put the charger on it, because running them too low is a no-no. They do recover quickly though. I originally had mine set up to read actual battery voltage via a relay like lots do due to corrosion and voltage losses. With it like that, I think the regulator was seeing 13.2 or more at the battery and dropped the charge rate. 13.2 for a lead acid is still a positive charge from 12.6 volts, but for a LIFEPO4 it is minimal. It ended up dying a few times on me while riding. So I ditched the relay and it has been great ever since. (Two summers now) Their Achilles is cold weather. They hold an amazing charge just sitting in the cold. Last winter I would randomly check it and it was 13.6-13.8 volts all the time. Turn the ignition on for three seconds and it would fall quickly. Leave it five minutes and it would recover and then have enough to turn the engine over. They are a different bird.

This is why I like Bikemaster Lithium batteries. They have a built in equalizer and over charge protection board. Not sure about other brands.

'79 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Mine (Ballistic) has the equaliser but recommend putting it on a balance charger now and then. I don't have one. It has a small rubber boot at the top of the battery which removes to show the balance tabs. Each finger measures a 2- cell unit. One must be the ground. I can use my DVM and check the voltage of each group of two. They have remained quite close for me. If I start getting a significant difference between them, I'll probably get the charger. I got to see the inside when I tore it apart. It is simply small wires going to each group of parallel - in my case- group of two batteries. EHE has a good post building his own A123 LIFEPO4 battery.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

sunnbobb wrote:.... Mine is a shorei.
Me too. Mine is still going. Six years now. Just wired it up :dunno: No gadgets no gizmos.
(never got anything close to that with lead acid)

I also have Scorpions for 2 yrs. now. The newer batteries
have been coming uncharged since the whole hover board mess, so
I was forced to get a 'Tender for Li's' for the initial charge. It has a charge status light.
All my batteries always show overcharged so the charger never gets used. I just let them be. again :dunno:

I never ask any of my batteries (Lith or Acid) to run a starter until
the carbs have enough fuel to fire. A little carb prime can save a lot of wear & tear, IMHO.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

What CCA are you guys running on your lithiums?

1978 Learning Experience