This one is going to BLOW your mind!

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

svvic
Lead Member
Lead Member

Re: This one is going to BLOW your mind!

Post by svvic »

It is not visible in any of the pictures, but you noted that you did work to add tire clearance on the inside of the swingarm. Was it sufficient to grind off the flange at the contact area and re-weld the gap? With that, what width rim were you able to use? I found the Metal Gear Works adapters for the Brembo 40mm calipers. Do you have the Sunstar part number for the rotors? (maybe stamped on the rotor).
heraldhamster
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by heraldhamster »

svvic wrote:It is not visible in any of the pictures, but you noted that you did work to add tire clearance on the inside of the swingarm. Was it sufficient to grind off the flange at the contact area and re-weld the gap? With that, what width rim were you able to use? I found the Metal Gear Works adapters for the Brembo 40mm calipers. Do you have the Sunstar part number for the rotors? (maybe stamped on the rotor).
also interested in this info & details if you're back around these parts anytime soon.
sorta bulldogged custom 1978 GL1000 - "geekster"
full Vetter dress 1979 GL1000 - "Barge" (currently down)
1986 1200 Aspencade - "Heart of Gold" - daily rider
1990 1500 Aspencade - It's ALIVE! but very, very naked. not in a good way.
1978 for $100 - project in worx
1978 from a previous member here - taking up space
my original '79 bought in '91 - replacing engine (eventually, maybe someday)

H2G2=42

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity. ~ Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson
Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

Absolutely gorgeous bike and extremely well done!
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

What is the top speed of that Bonneville LSR bike?
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
CBX-tras
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Sorry for the delay in responding, the notifications were going into my spam folder.
Top speed of the LSR 750cc Supercharged Triumph is 170. Seems the boost is too high (is that possible?) or the racing spark plugs we use are inferior. We're pushing the porcelain out of the metal shell. We'll solve that and be back again next year.

On the the GL - Swingarm mod - grind off the pinch flange and TIG the gap closed. I'm running a 150/60ZR - 17 Shinko Racing tire. Chose it to help lower the bike for a better/lower center of gravity. The widest part of the tire is near where the swingarm tube starts to widen to meet the final drive. I have about 3mm gap. A higher aspect ratio tire will have the bulge closer to the front where there's more room.

SunStar rotors - I had their spec sheet book marked on my PC but was lost when I suffered a total crash about a year ago. But, here's what I remember and perhaps with a little digging you can find what you're looking for:
SunStar 320mm rotors. They offer nothing to bolt directly onto the early 6 bolt pattern hub that I chose for the spoked wheels. There was an application for a Suzuki model that had the offset I needed with a 6 bolt pattern that was 2mm larger than the Honda. That meant re-drilling a 1mm elongation that would get covered by a washer (NBD). The center of the rotor was too small, so it was machined to fit the Honda hub.
If you have a 5 hole pattern on the wheel you're using. Look at the application for the CB900F on the Webike site. That should work.
Understand too that the hub required some lathe work to correct critical run-out. And, one of the caliper brackets required some minor machine work fro exact centering of the caliper to the rotor. Your results may vary.

I hope this helps, thanks for asking.
CBX-tras
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Here's a link to the Webike site.
My number wasn't popping up due to the color variants. Mix match as you desire:

https://japan.webike.net/products/21181511.html
svvic
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by svvic »

Thanks for the response. The info on the rotors and fitting info is very helpful. The 320 mm rotors were standard on only the GSX-750/1000/1100-S (katana) japanese domestic market. Apparently, we are not to be trusted with big brakes! The last critical piece of info I need is the actual rim width for the rear. As you noted, even after removing the pinch flange, you have only 3mm clearance.
I currently have the CC blower/weber carb setup on an 80 GL1100. Having trouble achieving stable idle speed before the primary throttle plate uncovers the transition ports. Have you had any experience with that condition? There is only 2 turns on the idle screw from fully closed to the transition ports. It seems the only solution is to drill a small hole in the throttle plate to bypass more air?
By luck, I happened to have the CB900F forks, CB1100F stem and the CBX prolink bridge plate along with CBX prolink bars in my parts bin and a stock 76 GL needing this stuff.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

svvic wrote:snip...…………...
I currently have the CC blower/weber carb setup on an 80 GL1100. Having trouble achieving stable idle speed before the primary throttle plate uncovers the transition ports.
Getting a stable idle on any gas engine with a blower is difficult. Big car engine's too running on gas. I can't tell you why. I've just seen/heard a lot of blown gas engine's and they all idle with an up and down fluctuation.

1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
CBX-tras
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by CBX-tras »

Drilling the throttle plate will achieve a fixed "Idle air control" or IAC in automotive terms. Start with an 1/8" hole and go from there. Every bike is different. Enlarge the hole or drill 2 smaller holes instead of the first 1/8". Enlarge in small steps to get to where you're okay with it. If you go too big, just solder it up and redrill smaller.
Don't forget that there's a parasitic loss from driving the blower. Go too slow on the idle and the motor will die on throttle chop. They don't like that.
On newer supercharged cars it's easy to control with the ECU driving the IAC (or equivalent) making the necessary adjustments "on the fly" so it won't stall and keeping a nice idle RPM.
BTW, take the plate out of the carburetor or you'll risk damaging the carb or leave shavings behind. Use number drills.
svvic
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by svvic »

Yes, my problem is I cannot achieve high enough idle speed adjustment before reaching the transition ports and it would drop out the bottom on throttle chop. Thanks for the confirmation.
Were you able to go to a 4.25" width on the rear rim?
CBX-tras
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by CBX-tras »

svvic wrote:Yes, my problem is I cannot achieve high enough idle speed adjustment before reaching the transition ports and it would drop out the bottom on throttle chop. Thanks for the confirmation.
Were you able to go to a 4.25" width on the rear rim?
I thought I had answered this already. WM6 rear rim width. 3mm clearance - at the driveshaft side of the swingarm, plenty of room. Hasn't contacted yet.