Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

Post by propav8r »

GLDCW wrote:With the Superbike Handlebars that you are using, did you re-route all of your cables and lines or replace them ?
The wires fit ok. Theres a little more slack where they go into the shelter covers/headlight housing, but not bad. The throttle and clutch cables are a little long, but they don't flop around too bad. No worse than other older bikes.

The upper brake hose is too long, but I think that's more of a problem with the hoses than the bars. The kit of three lines I bought actually had all three lines the same length!

It might look a little nicer if I had shortened everything, but it's not strictly necessary. Plus, leaving everything longer will allow me to go back to higher bars if I ever wanted to.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

ok
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Well, I managed to get the rear wheel back from powdercoating early Saturday morning, drive to another state to get my tire swapped, and save a ride with Dad this weekend.

I thought I had the radiator problem nicked, but it reared its head again pretty much all weekend. Coolant would spray out of the radiator cap, eventually almost emptying the radiator and causing the bike to run warm. It also wouldn't pull from the expansion tank. I took to just topping off the radiator every 150 miles or so, and the bike continued to run well.

On my way home last night, I was getting really frustrated. I pulled into a gas station to top off the radiator again, and when I opened the side cover, I decided to mess with the expansion tank for some reason. I thought the cap was tight, but I tried to tighten it some more. It kinda popped (I thought I had stripped the threads) but then tightened up. Kicked myself a little bit for not trying this before, and rode the rest of the way home with no coolant spraying out, and the bike running considerably cooler. Man, sometimes it's the stupid stuff.

I may still have an unrelated cooling issue, but it's better than it was...more investigation on that front coming this week. I made the mistake of loaning out my bike jack to a friend to help lift an unwieldy gas tank back up under his truck, and I haven't seen it in a few days...might have to go snag that back.

Overall, I had a blast on the bike this weekend. Still racking up miles, still working out kinks, but it's coming along pretty well. I stopped at Wedge Brewing in Asheville yesterday evening and spent awhile poking around the bikes hanging out there. Really cool stuff.

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Well, the head gasket on the right side is blown. I'm not sure whether I goofed on installation or if there's a problem with the block/head on that side (that side also had evidence of coolant in the combustion chamber when I pulled everything apart initially)

The head gasket is only about $20, so I guess I'll pull the head, have it skimmed (I didn't last time, I kinda redneck resurfaced it on the bench), put it back together, and see what happens. Worst case, I'm out $45 between the gasket and resurfacing, and I need another motor anyway.

I hear the GL1100 motor basically drops right in.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

propav8r wrote:Well, the head gasket on the right side is blown. I'm not sure whether I goofed on installation or if there's a problem with the block/head on that side (that side also had evidence of coolant in the combustion chamber when I pulled everything apart initially)

The head gasket is only about $20, so I guess I'll pull the head, have it skimmed (I didn't last time, I kinda redneck resurfaced it on the bench), put it back together, and see what happens. Worst case, I'm out $45 between the gasket and resurfacing, and I need another motor anyway.

I hear the GL1100 motor basically drops right in.
So does a 1200 ;)
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Lots of guys have trouble with non-OEM head gaskets. It's worth it to get the head resurfaced and to take a good straight edge to the block.

Cyborg beat me. 1100's drop right in except for their ignition which is off the rear of the motor and will hit the frame crossmember above the swing arm. Either go with 1000 heads, or 1000 cams so you can use their ignition. Then remove the 1100 ignition and make a plate to block off the hole back there. Otherwise you have to take about half of the tube off in the back to keep the 1100 ignition. 84 1200 has the same issues.

85-87 1200's will drop in. 1200's need the final output shaft from the 1000 or 1100 to mate with the drive shaft.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

I think I used Athena gaskets last time. Might be worth it to spring for OEM this time. I'm thinking about doing both. If I pull the right side head and don't see anything obviously wrong with the block or head, I'll go ahead and just slap a new gasket on there and hope for the best. Best case, the problem is fixed and I ride thousands of happy miles. Worst case, it fails again on that side, and I source an 1100 or 1200 motor to swap in.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I'd spend some time with a true straightedge and a feeler gauge on the block and head. Glassing heads isn't bad. The block is trickier especially with the engine in the frame.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Just thinking, you did get the revised torque settings for the 1000? Early years they recommended 39-41, later changed to 42-43??? Memory is fuzzy on that one.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Correction
IMG_1523.PNG
IMG_1523.PNG (223.34 KiB) Viewed 228 times
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

I went by the guide on Randakk's, so yes, I think I set the torque wrench to 45 ft/lbs.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Turns out it helps to torque all of the head bolts, not just 83% of them.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the head on that side anyway. There's some corrosion in the fire ring area that I'm not super happy with.

Parts are ordered, hopefully I'll have it back on the road by the end of next week.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Probably wise. Old head probably warped now?
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

ericheath wrote:Probably wise. Old head probably warped now?
I really didn't even bother to check it. The corrosion in the fire ring area really doesn't sit well with me. Even if the gasket sealed, that would still be a weak point. I found a replacement head for $40, which is less than it takes to get a head surfaced at the local machine shop.

Some of that corrosion is 30-40 thou deep. That's a LOT to take off a head. I really don't want to pull the other side to match or anything. Easier to slap another used head on it.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Well we're back in business. Slapped the new head on last night and finished everything up about 1am. I rode it into work this morning, where I promptly discovered I had pinched the o-ring at the water pump cap. Luckily, I had just filled the cooling system with water, so I didn't puke antifreeze everywhere. I also got lucky in that the o-ring wasn't torn, just smushed. 5 minutes with a 10mm got everything back where it was supposed to be. Had a little leak from the fuel pump/tach drive connection to the back of the head, but a little swipe of RTV on that spacer seems to have taken care of that. I'm still not getting a great seal on the expansion tank. Turns out my cap is cross-threaded and can't really seal all that well. I've ordered a replacement.

Anyhow, onward and upward!