Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: Buffet Racer: Propav8r's '78 GL1000

Post by propav8r »

Well, now it's the left side, right after I fixed the right. I'm not going to duplicate my long thread post here, but if you want details or can lend advice, poke your head in over here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62906
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Well I fixed that head and it's back on the road. I started with about 52k on the odometer, and I just rolled 56k the other day.

I broke another clutch cable too, but I think it was a problem with the lever. The little slot that you slide the cable through on the lever was too small, and would rub/chafe the cable right at the ferrule. I swapped levers out, and it seems better now. A new cable from MotionPro also smoothed out the action a bit.

I'm seriously considering an 1100 or 1200 swap in the bike over next winter. I'm kinda anal when it comes to cleanliness on my vehicles, and I'm not thrilled with how the finish on the motor looks up close. It's my fault for not prepping it as thoroughly as I should have. To really do it right, the motor has to come back out, and if the motor has to come out again, I might as well make some improvements.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

Maybe I missed this, but have you lubed the control cables? This made a VERY nice difference in my throttle and clutch cable action. Motion pro has a great luber attachment and spray lube as well. Cleans and contains teflon to really make things slick!
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Yes, the cables were lubed. I used gun oil, which seems to work fairly well.
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

I really haven't had to do much to the bike lately...been through another rear tire already, and the Dunlp on there probably has 1,500 or so miles left on it. I'll put on the Shinkos next and see how they compare.

I just rolled 59,000 miles. That means I've ridden almost 8,000 miles on this thing since February 10. Not too shabby.

I have noticed a few things I'm not happy with, but it's my doing. I cheaped out on some of the hardware, so I'm getting a little light rust forming on some fasteners that I'll need to deal with soon.

I do really wish this thing had a 6th gear, or a slightly taller diff ratio. Cruising at 80mph is just...buzzy.

This bike is incredible though. After the teething issues I had, it's handled everything I've thrown at it...1,000 mile weekends, miles and miles of dirt and gravel, it takes it all like a champ.

Handles the Gap pretty good too.

Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Looks good. That is a lot of miles in a short time!
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Easter wrote:Looks good. That is a lot of miles in a short time!
It's been fun for sure. I tend to go through vehicles pretty quickly, but there's something about this one that makes me want to keep it around. Not sure what.

I have been bitten by the bug though, and I'm starting to think about a second bike. I've ridden my dad's 2100 Vulcan and his 750 Shadow. I don't particularly care for either one. They just don't inspire confidence like the GL does.

I rode my coworker's Bolt, and while that's nice enough, still doesn't feel as refined. I'm really leaning towards a Valkyrie, but that might be a little too far to the cruiser end of the spectrum for me. I really like the looks of a friend's Aprilia RST1000 Futura, but I haven't had the pleasure of riding it yet.
Hook#3287
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Hook#3287 »

Nice job! Looks a whole lot different than that gold paint framed bike in the beginning of this post.

You should look a little closer at a Valkyrie. They are very versatile and you can custom them pretty much to your riding style.

I own several, from an Interstate with full fairing, bags and trunk, to a Bobber stipped down to frame & motor and a few Tourers in between. All are a joy to ride and the Bobber is a blast to spank.

I also have a GL1000 Bobber that is sitting waiting till I get to old too hold up the Valks :)
77 GL1000 (Currently under re-hab)
77 GL1000 (Parts)
78 GL1000 (Runner I'm Bobbin)
79 GL1000 (Parts)
98 GL1500C (Bobber)
98 GL1500CT
99 GL1500CT
99 GL1500CT
99 GL1500CF
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

I too have a Valk, nice bike and very easy to work on compared to the later Wings. My son is a confirmed sport bike guy and when he rode it was very impressed with both power and handling. Mine is for sale by the way.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Know what you mean about them being slightly special, I put just over 8,000 on mine the first year it was on the road and the recent central club run around Arkansas saw another 1200 trouble free miles. Nice pic on the Gap, love the concentration!

cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
palepainter
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by palepainter »

This bike is so nice. Really a clean looking ride.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Can I ask, how good is that headlight? What make is it? I see many like it for sale, at prices from cheap(ish) to oh-my-God-you-must-be-kidding!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

Old Fogey wrote:Can I ask, how good is that headlight? What make is it? I see many like it for sale, at prices from cheap(ish) to oh-my-God-you-must-be-kidding!
I really like it. This is a Morimoto Sealed7, available for $75 on closeout from TRS: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/close ... hts-7.html

It takes a load off the charging system for sure, and on a flat highway, throws a beam for over half a mile. Plus, it's a projector, so it's not going to blind oncoming traffic.

My one gripe is the cutoff. It's pretty sharp, and when you're leaned over in a turn on a back mountain road at night, your forward visibility drops unless the high beam is on. I'm considering mounting a couple of LED pods that activate when I lean, or just using an aux switch.
wannabridin
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wannabridin »

propav8r wrote:I'm considering mounting a couple of LED pods that activate when I lean, or just using an aux switch.
I would love to see this!!

I know there are some leaning headlights that are VERY pricey, but a little mercury switch and some relays would be sweet to see. I'm not sure the practicality, but the "hold my beer and check this out" would be sweet!!!
propav8r
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by propav8r »

wannabridin wrote:
propav8r wrote:I'm considering mounting a couple of LED pods that activate when I lean, or just using an aux switch.
I would love to see this!!

I know there are some leaning headlights that are VERY pricey, but a little mercury switch and some relays would be sweet to see. I'm not sure the practicality, but the "hold my beer and check this out" would be sweet!!!
That's pretty much the route I was going down. It would be extremely practical up here in the mountains, especially when it starts getting dark at 5pm.