GL1100 Flat Tracker

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Re: GL1100 Flat Tracker

Post by Mike-C »

Gents, can I be fussy here? Is anybody concerned about pipe lengths, not for looks, for performance. Primary pipe lengths can have a big effect on driveability.
Mike Coleman (fussy old engineer)
'84 Wing-Lite (ex-Aspencade)
'84 un-Terstate
'84 Standard (as yet un-named)
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Being the shorter one comes from the other side, they must be close to equal lengths the way he has them. Kinda want to hear them too.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

DSC00073.JPG
DSC00073.JPG (189.91 KiB) Viewed 245 times
These are the number plates they are aluminum and create a dilemna. How to finish them? Options are brushed finish, polished or painted. The color scheme is red,white and blue.The tank and seat will be white with a blue stripe about 2" wide horizontal stripe at the bottom of the tank,continuing along the seat. Maybe some red pinstripes to add a little interest. Current plan is for the numbers to be red. Anyone with an opinion is welcome to express it!
DSC00072.JPG
DSC00072.JPG (207.43 KiB) Viewed 245 times
We now have drilled rotors. Mainly I used Sagebrushes' method except when using the straightedge to locate where the holes would line up on their respective circles,I used the edge of the center register instead of the center of he circles. That gives the angled orientation vice radial orientation,looks better imho.
About the pipes: To make them equal length the upper would be about 4" longer,wouldn't look very good I think.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel
My Album
Jesus is Lord ! Hope is not a plan
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
84 Standard ongoing project
82 Interstate 35k reincarnated as a "Street Tracker"
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Anyone with an opinion is welcome to express it!
Step 1)- Power sand (fine grit) then power Scotchpad to fine brush finish.
Step 2)- Visually divide into 4ths (vertical). Run 1/2'' mask (with fine line tape) between 1&2 and 3&4. Diagonal lines on side covers.
Step 3)- Prime/etch coat. Blue on 1&4. White in middle (2&3). Remove mask to reveal Brushed alloy (black or yellow 1/8'' border stripe would be a nice touch here).
Step 4)- Clear coat. Add Red vinyl number(s) to White middle section.

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Seems like most flat tracker number plates are almost an afterthought. Having said that, making them too fancy seems out of place with the intent - and that's for commentators to be able to quickly and easily identify riders.

Having said that and since you mentioned red/white/blue colors, I do like the look of this blue number on painted plate:

- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Send 'em to HOTT .... when they come back all painted as per his plan .... flip them over and paint the other side plain white .... then when you're actually racing you can use the simple visual and when you're not, the pretty one ....

Gord (seems easy too) Jones anim-cheers1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
gargoyle
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by gargoyle »

Interesting build which I think I'll follow. anim-cheers1
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

RAT wrote:Send 'em to HOTT .... when they come back all painted as per his plan .... flip them over and paint the other side plain white .... then when you're actually racing you can use the simple visual and when you're not, the pretty one ....
Rat- I really like that idea,but there's a problem(or two). The side plates are not reversible,they sorta hook over the frame on top and this is a"Street Tracker" it's not intended to race! I can only imagine what it would take to actually slide a 700 pound motorcycle? Not this Kid!
Gord (seems easy too) Jones anim-cheers1
Last edited by hmratbam on Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Album
83 Ascempade has become a trike with 1200 fork tubes and Maxda Miata rear suspension.
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

[quote="desertrefugee"]Seems like most flat tracker number plates are almost an afterthought. Having said that, making them too fancy seems out of place with the intent - and that's for commentators to be able to quickly and easily identify riders.
dr-those are my thoughts as well..............but...............as I related to RAT,this is really more for "show" than "go" so maybe a little attention to the "show" aspect might be in order. Just this once,you understand?
Ron
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

HOTT wrote:
Anyone with an opinion is welcome to express it!
Step 1)- Power sand (fine grit) then power Scotchpad to fine brush finish.
Step 2)- Visually divide into 4ths (vertical). Run 1/2'' mask (with fine line tape) between 1&2 and 3&4. Diagonal lines on side covers.
Step 3)- Prime/etch coat. Blue on 1&4. White in middle (2&3). Remove mask to reveal Brushed alloy (black or yellow 1/8'' border stripe would be a nice touch here).
Step 4)- Clear coat. Add Red vinyl number(s) to White middle secti

HOTT
Ric-Are we gonna just let that natural alloy strip just run off the edge? I'm guessing the front plate would be vertical and the side plates the pattern would follow the diagonal line at the front? The numbers are some vinyl block numbers,so they wouldn't lean with the angle on the side plates,,shouldn't they?Maybe the 1/8" pin stripe could be red just to keep from introducing too many colors?
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments!
My Album
JBz
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by JBz »

the fly and the bully got my interest. lolol Id probably go without the front brakes and shave the legs for the real look. I rode my Harley for years without a front brake. Of course that was way back when when they weren't cool at least on a chopped Harley. jb
jbz........... Thinkin about sh-t too hard and You wont get anything done
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

Ric-Are we gonna just let that natural alloy strip just run off the edge? I'm guessing the front plate would be vertical and the side plates the pattern would follow the diagonal line at the front? The numbers are some vinyl block numbers,so they wouldn't lean with the angle on the side plates,,shouldn't they?Maybe the 1/8" pin stripe could be red just to keep from introducing too many colors?
*your call. If you see a border effect (good idea). Then a thin amount of blue could connect top & bottom.
*front would be vertical. Sides follow diagonal at front. This will give forward motion (speed).
*either way with the number. If you'd like angle, for the sides we'd print left & right. (front straight. Sides slanted?)
*black for your pin stripe. Trust me. The numbers are the 'red'. The black will serve to contrast white & silver only
:orange
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

We now have a 17" front wheel with the first 10 spokes
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00074.JPG (236.51 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Turn it over insert the next ten,these are those inserted fromt he outside they have to go in first because after awhile you wouldn't be able to maneuver them to their assigned holes.
DSC00075.JPG
DSC00075.JPG (237.11 KiB) Viewed 153 times
This is after the next ten
DSC00076.JPG
DSC00076.JPG (251.63 KiB) Viewed 153 times
The site wouldn't let me attach all the pics so this post will be continued.
My Album
hmratbam
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by hmratbam »

They're all in time to start truing and tightening.
DSC00077.JPG
DSC00077.JPG (204.5 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Truing stand,clamp the axle in a vise!
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00078.JPG (204.34 KiB) Viewed 149 times
The hub is turned in the rim so we loosen all the spokes with protruding threads and tighten the others,by how for down in the nipples the threads were I decided how much to loosen. It is fairly obvious at this point there will be some threads protruding to be cut off. If we do this right we'll have half flush and half protruding.
DSC00079.JPG
DSC00079.JPG (181.1 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Looks like we came out pretty close . They are all close to the same tension and the wheel is within .002!
DSC00080.JPG
DSC00080.JPG (208.01 KiB) Viewed 149 times
We'll have to grind some of them but that's better than all of 'em. It's hard to see but the threads you can't see are almost perfectly flush with the nipple.
My Album