GL 1200 cafe (Te Racer) projekt.

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: GL 1200 cafe (Te Racer) projekt.

Post by Buli »

warhead_71 wrote:I learn something new every day. Those sure are 1" in the middle and 7/8" at the grips.

I wonder if you could just get some 1" bars that you like, then cut the ends off and slip some 7/8" bars inside about 1-2" of overlap and weld those in place. It just seems a shame to build such a clean low bike and have ape-hangers on it.

Of course shorter bars means shorter brake lines and throttle/choke cables... or a lot of creative re-routing.

This is also what i was thinking. Only problem is my tools , wrench and fist size stone. :-D :-D (lack of welding gear)
Kinde
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

I am sure as UK Andy mentioned you can find an adapter to go from a 1" yoke to a 7/8" handlebar. Then you can use any 7/8" handlebar you want.

I also think the slight height lift of the adapter will help with tank clearance of the lowered bars, and give a more comfortable riding position?
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

warhead_71 wrote:I learn something new every day. Those sure are 1" in the middle and 7/8" at the grips.

I wonder if you could just get some 1" bars that you like, then cut the ends off and slip some 7/8" bars inside about 1-2" of overlap and weld those in place. It just seems a shame to build such a clean low bike and have ape-hangers on it.

Of course shorter bars means shorter brake lines and throttle/choke cables... or a lot of creative re-routing.
If welding is going to be involved, just cut out sections of the original bars and then insert some 7/8 for strength and then re weld. That's what I did with my bars.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Bearpaw
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Bearpaw »

NCM_0088 (2).JPG
NCM_0088 (2).JPG (137.54 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Little ways to go but for now here ya go
84 1200 Bobber with American Flag Hydro Dipped
94 CB 1000
01 Shadow Spirit 750 DC ( Wifes )
05 Triumph Rocket III 2300 cc
2000 Honda Magna ( Wifes )
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

Nice. I see u gotta original seat pan. I did use it too, but now i think i should not. i did spend 300€ for upholtery which i am not totally happy whith. Seatpan is so thick and fully weird holes and pits so it is difficult to fill and form. I hope i gotta time and get inspired to desing my bikes rear end again, do final painting chance clutch ( now slipping when cold) and polishing frontbrake hoking etc etc. Hope to see your progress
Kinde
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

back to the drawing board. This gl 1200 really is difficult to make look GOOOD. But i think i am getting there. This is my plan for next summer. Not so big transform to cotinue from what i have done so far.

-Bigger tank
-Rear mudguard must go
-Original ape hanger must go ( this was plan in begining but there it still is)
-new paint whit some pinstripe
-flatter seat
Attachments
Next summer goal
Next summer goal
gl3.jpg (174.77 KiB) Viewed 294 times
good but not what i want
good but not what i want
gl1.jpg (135.68 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Kinde
230Rocket
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by 230Rocket »

Kimmo,

I like your build and I agree these are difficult to make into good looking bikes due to the tank difficulty and the side panel pieces. But you've done a great job so far, I really like the seat and tail and your blue version will come out great.

I have the same issue on the bars though on a project I am just starting with a 1985 1200, they have the 1'' center piece and the 7/8'' bar ends. I thought of having the bar clamp mounting posts milled off the top tree/yoke to give me a flat surface on which to bolt new clamps, but it turns out the whole thing is hollow when you look from underneath! So that would fail. I cant just put a top yoke from an earlier bike on coz they have 39mm forks and the 1200 has 41mm, so that wont work. I'm thinking to maybe switch to Harley bars and switch gear for my build unless a brilliant idea comes to me in the night...

I will start a build thread off soon with my ideas, plans and a sketch, and keep watching here...

cheers
Dean
1982 GL1100 Fat Turtle
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

One long run in some rain and you will be fitting that rear mudguard back on. Your back will be soaked and none of your friends will want to follow you when it's wet.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
hbennick
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by hbennick »

By the way, I found some decent adapters to deal with the 1" & 7/8" issue....
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/handlebar ... lamps.html
1984 GL1200 Interstate Stripped Naked - Picking it up Saturday...well...I was supposed to pick it up Saturday, but it looks like I'll need to put that off a few weeks.

If you want to build a time machine, start with a DeLorean. if you want to build a muscle car, start with a 64 Lincoln Continental. if you want to build a muscle bike, start with a GoldWing.

Houston, Texas.
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

hbennick wrote:By the way, I found some decent adapters to deal with the 1" & 7/8" issue....
http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/handlebar ... lamps.html
I allready bought those, and 22mm bar but no help. These adapter are just littlebit too thin or triple tree holes too big. But this is no bib problem but need some drilling or welding or or? Whwn snow falls i gottta plenty of time and more to solve it.
Kinde
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

Old Fogey wrote:One long run in some rain and you will be fitting that rear mudguard back on. Your back will be soaked and none of your friends will want to follow you when it's wet.
No worries. Whe i get this ready global wormin will change the weather here north so dry and hot that teher is no need for mudguards.

I propably will return plate from side stand to center and it will do the job.
Kinde
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

I left Finland on Friday night and arrived just in Poland. Rains all time. Last nigt when i arrive to Riga ( ferry over to Tallin and then through Baltc ) it was really tunderstorm, and also my first time riding bike in storm at nightime. It was totally dark and absolutely wet experience.

It was plan to take of my rear mudgard on next winter projeckt but like Old Fogey said "dont". I will not. Here ( baltic countries) roads are covered whit fine sand and it flyes whit water and penetrates in my back, etc. I am gonna move licens plate to extend rear mudguard.

This is insane, spend all winter in cramped basement to strip off all fireings and bags and now trying to fit some clothes and gears in these loose softbags and get them all wet. NUDE RIDING IS FUN. :crosso :crosso :crosso
Attachments
WP_20160805_15_04_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20160805_15_04_36_Pro.jpg (109.21 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Kinde
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Well, I hate to say it but................
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Even with all the bags, it is a really sharp ride. Hope you stay dry from now on.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Buli
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Buli »

Thanks Easter. My BIG Buli look so small behind these russian bikes. Lot of these wolf membesrs here in east europe. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Wolves
Attachments
WP_20160806_09_17_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20160806_09_17_59_Pro.jpg (150.84 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Kinde