Just another bobber build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

toolbox
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: The $1000 bike build!

Post by toolbox »

Hamp wrote:
As an extra eye-catcher, I want to run a completely naked timing setup. This also includes the shroud behind the timing gear. Before I get criticized for this being unsafe/unreliable, I say to you.... uhhh oh well, it looks cool!

Looking good... Regarding the open timing system, it's been done a few times before...the build "bones" immediately comes to mind.

Check it out here...
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=420
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I've done it a while now and besides the inherent risk of something flying off the front tire and getting into the teeth, which could catastrophic, I have noticed dust combined with moisture begins to collect at the bottom portion of the gear's teeth. This can't be best, but I have yet to hear of a failure from it. It could be that it is only occupying space that the belt doesn't touch anyways. It probably does wear the belt faster as it is grit.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

Hey guys!! I've been super busy these past few weeks between all of the yard work, rebuilding a buddy's set of carbs for his '93 Katana, and preparing for a garage sale, but I promised myself I'd get some work on the Wing done this weekend and I didn't disappoint. :mrgreen: There are plenty of pictures, so I'll try to keep the text short and to the point.

This is the mess of a garage that I've been working in. The garage sale cannot happen soon enough!

Here is the Katana that I've been working on for a buddy. Its road worthy now and is out of my driveway! me -1 katana -0

Now onto the good stuff!! I got the progressive fork springs installed and let me just say; this was probably one of the easiest and best bang-for-your-buck upgrades I have ever done. I suggest leaving the handlebars ON while removing the fork cap because it creates a nice foundation for you to keep pressure down on the spring cap.

Dont forget to change your fork oil! I used 7.5 oz of 15w oil for each fork.

Here is a comparison of the air ride springs (left) and the progressive springs (right)

Now, when re-installing the progressive springs, I suggest removing the handle bars because they definitely get in the way when compressing the spring cap.

In hindsight, it would have been smart to loosen the swing arm bolt while there was still weight on the frame. Looks like it will be getting painted with it on.

Chrome is good as new. Before (right) After (left)

Fresh forks! Primer on left, finished on the right

New tires!

If you do not have a bead breaker, I suggest you get one because it is a life saver

Mounted and ready for paint. Why not paint them without the tires on, you might ask? Because I am terrible at swapping tires and I would have scratched them.

Prepped and ready for paint

Not too shabby. I used rattle can, appliance epoxy

Decided to get some paint on the rotors also. The paint line should smooth out in the first brake cycle or two.

I have no idea what kind of contraption is keeping this triple clamp on so once again, looks like its getting painted with the frame!

no pictures of prepping the frame

Ready for paint

After many funny angles, it has paint!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Riding is life" -me

1981 Honda Goldwing bobber "Wang"
& a few other toys
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

Just getting a few tid-bits painted (many many many not pictured)

Oooooo

Starting to look like a bike again!

This will likely be the mounting place for the license plate.

Hope yall enjoyed the pictures. Any input/ideas are greatly appreciated!! Next weekend, I am hoping to get the engine painted and stab it back in the frame. It should be smooth sailing after that.
Like always, cheers and safe riding crossy.gif
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I enjoyed. Keep sharing, it looks well on the way.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

Looking reeeaaall nice Clark
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Looking good, how are you doing on the budget?
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Lookin good. What brand and type of paint did you use on frame?
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

Wow guys, it's been a while! I haven't been on here in a few months but luckily I've still been tinkering with the old 'Wang. Between moving cross-country and opening an automotive shop, there hasn't been much free time. Many, many modifications/upgrades have been made since the last post, and I'll be glad to go into detail about them at a later time. Until then, here is a few snapshots of the build as of today.
Ps: The budget goal has been surpassed. I'll drop the final $$ amount when the project is finished
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

What front end did you use? Looking good.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

TNTbefree wrote:Lookin good. What brand and type of paint did you use on frame?
Lowe's brand black appliance epoxy. I do not recommend it as it takes a long time to cure and is very sensitive to petroleum products.
ericheath wrote:What front end did you use? Looking good.
I got an excellent deal on a front end off of a 2005 zx-10. The all balls ball bearing site states that this front end is NOT compatable but I did it anyway. The neck of the frame had to be shortened (~5mm on top and bottom) to accommodate the shorter steering stem and shorter, custom bearings were ordered through VXB bearings and Aliexpress. I also had to weld bump-stops underneath the neck to prevent the trees from hitting the FTC and re-located the ignition switch. 4 holes had to be drilled, tapped, and secured for the handlebar risers, and the old ignition mount on the top tree had to be cut off.
Last edited by Hamp on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
BikeMaine
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by BikeMaine »

ericheath wrote:What front end did you use? Looking good.

Same question for me.
Kevin
1982 GL1100A
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Thanks for that. It looks like the forks fit better. Did you have to cut a lot off the neck? Love to see pics of that.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Hamp
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Hamp »

ericheath wrote:Thanks for that. It looks like the forks fit better. Did you have to cut a lot off the neck? Love to see pics of that.
I took ~5mm off the top and ~4mm on the bottom (a belt sander and a lot of time). I also pressed the steering stem further up the lower tree to get some extra height.
Last edited by Hamp on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Riding is life" -me

& a few other toys
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

As Pa always said "where there is a will, there is a way"
Coming along nicely.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine