'76 cafe project finished!! (almost...!)

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

'76 cafe project finished!! (almost...!)

Post by mcfly »

Hi, long time reader, 1st time poster!
My '76 GL1000 cafe-ish broke cover and turned it's wheels for the first time last weekend, very pleased with the results! Everything done in-house (in-garage), I'm really happy with the overall 'look'. My rule from the start was no chopping, everything is reversible back to stock. I love the rear end of the frame so it was key to show that off, not cut it off.
Lots of little jobs still to do (decals, more lacquer, flat, polish, front fender, licence plate, etc etc...) but the sun was out so I just couldn't resist a ride!

I'll try to post more pics soon...

Last edited by mcfly on Sun May 01, 2016 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Project finished!! (almost...!)

Post by TNTbefree »

Very nice. Welcome to the club. Hope you have some in progress build pics, before pics too would be nice. Love to see them.
King_Coopr
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by King_Coopr »

Looks great! I'd love to see some more pics. What headlight is that? Also what kinda seat it's that? I forgot the name of it
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

The starting point. An ebay find, original & complete, but tired. (looks better in the photo than it was, don't they always!)
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

Starting to reveal the potential

Lower bars are good!
maintainer
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by maintainer »

mcfly wrote:Hi, long time reader, 1st time poster!
My '76 GL1000 cafe-ish broke cover and turned it's wheels for the first time last weekend, very pleased with the results! Everything done in-house (in-garage), I'm really happy with the overall 'look'. My rule from the start was no chopping, everything is reversible back to stock. I love the rear end of the frame so it was key to show that off, not cut it off.
Lots of little jobs still to do (decals, more lacquer, flat, polish, front fender, licence plate, etc etc...) but the sun was out so I just couldn't resist a ride!

I'll try to post more pics soon...

Nice job. I like the boundaries you set and that you didn't go too far with it. I'm not big fan of cafe style bikes but yours looks good.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Lookin' great! What did you use for a seat?
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

Looks great. Bot don't forget the front fender. They can help save a radiator sometimes
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

Thanks for the favorable comments! A few more pics from the build...

Other peoples wiring, not so good! Full re-wire added to the job list...

Pull it all out and start again, it's the simplest option in the long run (usually)

Front end off for reconditioning

Now we're getting somewhere

I'm easily distracted by the day job!

I took some time to think about the seat...
Last edited by mcfly on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

It looks simple but it was not an easy process getting to here. Card template first then cut the rough shape out of alu, then some bending & bashing, then fine tune the edges for a close fit.

I re-purposed the original front seat mount, fixed it to the new seat base and used the mount bolts to hold the seat on

The seat is such an important aspect of a bike, for me it can totally make or break the whole feel. Carving the foam was next, no pressure! This involved an electric carving knife, a sharpie, some confident swipes and lots of standing back to check the 'flow'

Once the basic shape was right I smoothed it all over with the angle grinder and a 120 grit sanding disc (sooo much mess) and had the leather cover made up by a local hot rod trimmer.
Very pleased with the results!
Last edited by mcfly on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

The first run was not a success, 2 miles down the road it dropped onto 2 cylinders. After limping home a process of elimination confirmed that fuel (lack of) was the issue. The rear carbs we fine but the front two were not getting any, time for a carb service. I'd never been inside GL1000 carbs before, but how difficult could it be?! 'Fairly' would be my answer!

Top tip time, a gas soldering torch set to blow just heat gives a very localised spot of heat to the float pivot posts, just enough to help release stuck pivot pins. Anyone who has been inside these carbs knows how delicate the posts are, a 'kinetic' method is not an option!
It turned out that the tiny mesh filters that sit above the float valve were completely clogged, I cleaned those, the fuel gallery, flushed the tank, dropped all the carb bits in the sonic bath, threw it all back together and she ran like a dream! I guesstimated and set things slightly rich to account for the pipes and an open airbox with a K&N, seat of the pants feel is great, lots of power all the way through but I will be getting things checked on a RR and set up properly in due course.
mcfly
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by mcfly »

So, I've skipped a few steps in the build story and there are still some details to finish off, but here she is:

Maybe not the most adventurous build on here but I set myself some tight rules, and I'm very happy with the results!
Bugdaddy66
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Bugdaddy66 »

Very nice, I agree with you, the back part of the frame is interesting. Looks great the way your seat exposes it.
Todd Logan (Bugdaddy66)
"Never argue with a moron, they'll always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
1978 GL1000 Daily commuter (SOLD)
1981 XS650 Hot Rod play bike (SOLD)
2003 BMW F650CS (Wife Bike)
2009 BMW R1200RT
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

What dash did you put on it? Got a link for it?
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

Nice minimalist finished project. A motorcycle distilled down to the lowest common denominator - and the basis for the name of this site.

I'm also a fan of the rear frame horns. Once they're gone, they're gone. Yours are accentuated nicely. Well done and nicely sorted.

EDIT: If I may be so bold, that machine is begging for a low profile brake master cylinder.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.