Baby steps

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Jsaladin04
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Baby steps

Post by Jsaladin04 »

I love my wing and can't wait for the day the fairing comes off and stays off. Thinking that will be a winter project. Already bought some things including a tank shelter and some lights. I know i will have to now redo a lot of things on the front and i want lower bars. But for this weekend i tackled the back of the bike and the seat..
Attachments
20150823_182438~2.jpg
20150823_182438~2.jpg (26.42 KiB) Viewed 343 times
20150823_182409~2.jpg
20150823_182409~2.jpg (67.6 KiB) Viewed 343 times
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Baby steps

Post by desertrefugee »

Cleaning up really nicely. Lotta hardware to deep six after that fairing comes off. It's a mess under there. I had a 1200 Aspy. I took one look and moved on to a '78. Much less drama involved in slimming down...not that it can't be done with the Aspencade, just takes some effort.

Have fun!
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Taking off the fairing is a good bit of work. A lot of guys just cut a few inches off the windshield and call it a F4B day. I don't blame them. I took the one off my 81 but my false tank is set up for it. I didn't have to modify or replace it like you will most likely end up doing.

I look forward to seeing how you tackle this issue. Please take a lot of pics on what it takes to make it right. I have seen many 1200's coming up for sale on the cheap, and I was thinking about doing what you are looking to do.
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

:popcornx2
Personally, I like the F4Bagger look on the 1200's
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
Jsaladin04
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Jsaladin04 »

I actually removed the whole fairing this weekend. Removed all the wiring. I have purchased a 1100 tank shelter to replace the current one. Had everything mocked up in the front and she just didn't look right to me. I spent two days just looking at it. In the end i decided to pot the fairing back on and really thing about it. It's only the second time i have removed the thing. The issues i am having trouble strapping my head around is modifying the instrument cluster and when i go naked up front i would like to spend some time rerunning the brake likes and cables.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Yep, the instrument cluster is a problem, especially the electric tach. If you're going aftermarket, there are lots of choices; to keep more of an original look, it'll take some work. There is a thread way back several years ago where the guy fitted the guts from the 1200 electric tach into the housing from an 1100, and used the matching speedo. Just a thought...

Good wrenchin'
Todd
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.