*Accident Repairs / Fork Swap* 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

bladredhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: My 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

Post by bladredhead »

Hanslehoff wrote:I thought I'd be able to turn her over tonight but as I was topping up the coolant I noticed a puddle forming on the garage floor. Leaky thermostat :( Drained the coolant and pulled the rad and thermostat. Oring was pooched so I'll have to order another one tomorrow and wait till it gets her before I can try starting her up. I did get some other things done. Got the throttle cable shortened and hooked up and put the exhaust on. Fitted the tins and started working on where I want the seat cowl mounted. I'm liking the stance so far

But I think I need to move the rear signals forward towards the shocks and possibly chop the rear sub frame. Still needs some more thought and work.
this picture makes me smile.
Broken 1976 gl1000... and a few others
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Norbert R wrote:Very nice lines !
Just my 2c, but IMO the rear "horns" on the GL are quite difficult to chop and make look good, unlike the tubular frames of most bikes that you can chop and hoop, the rear arms on the GL to me always look a bit butchered, like a Rhino with it's horn cut off ;)
Once you have cut them shorter, then you have this blunt stump that you can't really intergrate into anything.
Have you decided where you want your license plate ? Again, just some unsolicited advice, but consider putting it behind your tail section - it'll keep a lot of water off your back for one (trust me :roll: ) and can look really nice with a thin LED strip that can have your running/brake and turn signals all in one.
If I cut a couple inches off the "horns" than the rear cowl will drop down over them and they would be completely covered. The tail light is frenched into the rear cowl and I have a license plate bracket with LED bolts that will be mounted off the back.
I do really like those all in one LED strips but they aren't legal where I live.
rich3389 wrote:What kind of rear shocks are those?
They are TEC brand made for a CB900
olchris wrote:Those shockies look like there probably 14-15" eye to eye.. Standard is 13"ish i think... Seems to be very high, rear wheel to guard ratio.. Is that the "cafe" look that your after???...
Yes, the shocks are 14.5" eye to eye as they are made for a CB900. That is the look I'm going for as I find the rear end looks like it's squatting down with the stock shock length. I did a lot of research before I ordered them and as far as I know there won't be any issues with running them. I can also shorten them nearly an inch if need be. I also dropped the front forks down 3/4" in the triple clamps to make the lines of the frame parallel with the ground.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

As I've been looking at the pictures I'm starting to think mini gauges may be in the near future. The lines are looking really good right now but that gauge cluster sticks up so high it really draws the eye towards it. Something else to think about...$$$
Jai
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Jai »

You could make some brackets to lower all your gauges, if you don't want to spend the money on mini's
1979 GL 1000
gschlabaugh
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by gschlabaugh »

I cut the rear frame rails or "Horns" to a point about 2 inches behind the shock mounts. When I attach my "Dark Wing" seat to it, the rails are covered. I did some mods to the Dark Wing fiberglass as you can see in the photo. I think your seat would work the same, however, this does give a lower seat height which may be cramped for some people
Attachments
DSC02203.JPG
DSC02203.JPG (69.25 KiB) Viewed 238 times
DSC02182.JPG
DSC02182.JPG (55.49 KiB) Viewed 238 times
Gary
1975 GL1000, 1978 KZ 750 twin streettracker, 2002 Buell X1,1978 GL1000
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

gschlabaugh wrote:I cut the rear frame rails or "Horns" to a point about 2 inches behind the shock mounts. When I attach my "Dark Wing" seat to it, the rails are covered. I did some mods to the Dark Wing fiberglass as you can see in the photo. I think your seat would work the same, however, this does give a lower seat height which may be cramped for some people
Nice bike! Love the tracker style. How does it sound with the pipes like that? I haven't been able to start mine up yet but I'm expecting it will be fairly loud.
I am worried a bit about cramping the riding position too much by lowering the seat anymore as I'm quite tall. I may see about fashioning a bolt on rear hoop that would match the curve of the tail section and make use of the frame. I'm a little hesitant to chop it up as there is no going back, but I may still go that route. This weekend I'll be sorting all that out (assuming it runs!)
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Chopped about 3" off the back off my frame tonight and I think it was the right choice. The tail section sits right over top and covers the frame completely and also forms a much better line with the bottom of the tank. I'll fab up some aluminum brackets to bolt the signals to the top shock which is a better place for them anyway. I also ordered some black mini gauges and a billet bracket with LED warning lights plus clubmans. Never an end to the money you can spend
Neil

Post by Neil »

Looking pretty good though.
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Neil wrote:Looking pretty good though.
INDEED !! action1
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
wog
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wog »

Looking good!
Great to make a bike your own. anim-cheers1
That exhaust is going to be LOUD!
Great to keep these old 'Wings flying on down the road.
ianstaley
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ianstaley »

I have just one very, very small critique, it is so small you almost miss it, but I am afraid I caught it. Let me just say this is one fine build, I hope that when mine eventually comes together if it looks anything like yours does in quality I will be a very happy man. Why didn't you paint the tips of the clocks when you had them in bit to put new faces on?

So I have to ask, deliberate or oops just missed that. I did on one of mine and I cursed like no other and took the whole meter apart again, just to paint the indicator (see photo) Ian action1 action1 action1 anim-cheers1
Old clock
DSC_2734.jpg
DSC_2734.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Finished clocks
clocks 3.jpg
clocks 3.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 174 times
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

ianstaley wrote:
So I have to ask, deliberate or oops just missed that.
I completely forgot about them and was so mad at myself that I didn't notice till after I closed them back up. I had been meaning to get back in there but I decided to go with mini gauges and a custom LED dashboard. These will go on the shelf for now.

This evening I discovered the source of my coolant leak
The PO must have really torqued that down! I cleaned up one of my spares, put a new oring in and no leaks. Rolled it outside and after swapping the plug wires around and finally realizing the coils where plugged in wrong she fired right up! I don't think I've ever been so relieved. Runs very good, no hesitation, idles awesome and sounds mean. Couldn't resist getting some brake fluid in it and taking it for a little spin up the street.

After that success I went to work fabbing up some new signal mounts for the rear.
They need some finishing work but I think they'll do the trick. All in all a great day in the garage anim-cheers1
ianstaley
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ianstaley »

I like those shocks, what are they off?
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Result!! action1
Congrats on the milestone anim-cheers1
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

ianstaley wrote:I like those shocks, what are they off?

See post #47.... lolol

Great job getting the bike going!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
ianstaley
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by ianstaley »

Great thanks for the pointer, too busy looking at the pictures. Thought Frenching went out with the Beatles. Real popular over here in the late 70's on cars that were customised. But I still love the idea.