*Accident Repairs / Fork Swap* 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

Neil

Re: My 75 Wing Cafe RestoMod

Post by Neil »

Nice!
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

I got my exhaust back from the muffler guy and I'm not sure if it was my mistake or his, but the pipes were welded on rotated 90 degrees off.

It was done as a favour to me so I don't want to complain and I'm afraid cutting them off and turning them to re weld might ruin the muffler. I wasn't planning on using the mounting bracket anyway so I'll probably just cut the bolt off then give the whole thing a few coats of black high temp header paint. I'm also not sure that I love how they look...i had them shorten the headers and the muffler as much as possible but I really think they'd look better with a shorter muffler in a larger diameter. Something like this...

I've got two other sets of spare headers so I can always swap something else in later down the road if they don't turn out to my liking. I tried one of them on the CX500 and it had a surprisingly good exhaust note for how tiny they are. Not too loud at idle but gave it a nice bark at full throttle.
wheeliedog
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by wheeliedog »

Great progress.

How about a larger diameter pipe over the muffler or a curved heat shield to give it a more meaty appearance?

There is a nice bolt on top there you can mount it onto.....
naked 1980 GL1100 under construction.
Jai
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Jai »

For brake lines you can't beat Hel. They will make you the lenth you need and are guaranteed for life.i ended up using new 1975 throttle and clutch cables with drag bars and was happy with the result. Your work looks great.
1979 GL 1000
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

The heat shield on the pipe is a great idea, never even thought of that. I'm going to keep that in mind for sure.
I ended up ordering a full set of custom length braided stainless steel brake lines (including a one piece rear line) from a company out in Ontario that I'd heard good things about. They should be here today or tomorrow.

Meanwhile...

Got the tank back in and now I'm working on remembering where all these wires and cables get routed. Should have taken some pics as I was tearing it down but I think I've got it figured out. Won't be too much longer until I can hold my breath and hit that starter button
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Shortened some cables
Painted my exhaust
installed the new coils, brake lines and got 90% of the wiring done
Couple more days and it should be all assembled and ready to start. Then I can focus on the body work
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

That's looking good action1
I like how you have blacked out everything on the front end and fitted those fork gaiters, looks great.
Also really dig the colors on your motor. :2thumbs
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Very nice. It's none of my business, but I was looking at the drawings you mocked up of the bike and how good they are. This lead me to wonder if you are some type of graphic designer or something of the sort? I would love to be able to draw stuff up like that before I dove into it. Would cut back on a lot of Mulligans.

This is a great build and I love all the pics and details.
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Thanks guys! I work in civil engineering doing highway and interchange design but I do also have a background in art. After I finished high school I was accepted into an art program in university but at the last minute I decided there are too many unemployed 'artists' who end up working in a completely different field so I went into engineering. At any rate I still like to dabble.

I didn't get a chance to try starting it like I had hoped, but I'm very close. All I have left to do is gap the plugs for the new coils and ignition, put the pipes on, fill it with coolant and add some gas. Will check the timing before I crank it over the first time.

Other remaining tasks are to finish hooking up the rear brakes then fill and bleed the brake system and put some gear oil in the final drive. After that's done I'm down to body work. Painting the tins, mounting the rear cowl and covering the seat with leather. A few more weeks!
It's not without its problems tho. After wiring everything up and putting the battery in I tried the new signals and they don't work. Left side comes on solid but doesn't flash and right side doesn't come on at all. Might have a loose connection on the right but I'm thinking maybe I need resistors for the smaller signals. I'm going to plug the stock ones in tonight and see if they work, if so I know it's in the new ones. Pretty minor, but I hate chasing electrical issues
LastMohawk
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by LastMohawk »

Hello,

I like your work and your bike looking very well

Greetings
Harald
"Sometimes it takes more than luck to keep the wheels spinning just right."

77 GL1000 "Uschi"
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

Stole away into the garage for a few minutes this morning (working from home has its distractions) and fixed the signal issue by switching the flasher relay unit out with one on my parts bike. Now everything works perfect and I have much more confidence in my electrical skill. I was really doubting myself last night.
Hanslehoff
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by Hanslehoff »

I thought I'd be able to turn her over tonight but as I was topping up the coolant I noticed a puddle forming on the garage floor. Leaky thermostat :( Drained the coolant and pulled the rad and thermostat. Oring was pooched so I'll have to order another one tomorrow and wait till it gets her before I can try starting her up. I did get some other things done. Got the throttle cable shortened and hooked up and put the exhaust on. Fitted the tins and started working on where I want the seat cowl mounted. I'm liking the stance so far

But I think I need to move the rear signals forward towards the shocks and possibly chop the rear sub frame. Still needs some more thought and work.
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Very nice lines !
Just my 2c, but IMO the rear "horns" on the GL are quite difficult to chop and make look good, unlike the tubular frames of most bikes that you can chop and hoop, the rear arms on the GL to me always look a bit butchered, like a Rhino with it's horn cut off ;)
Once you have cut them shorter, then you have this blunt stump that you can't really intergrate into anything.
Have you decided where you want your license plate ? Again, just some unsolicited advice, but consider putting it behind your tail section - it'll keep a lot of water off your back for one (trust me :roll: ) and can look really nice with a thin LED strip that can have your running/brake and turn signals all in one.
98e0e0bd160e3cc055acc4955da94a7a.jpg
98e0e0bd160e3cc055acc4955da94a7a.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 182 times
03-06-11-DUC916-013.jpg
03-06-11-DUC916-013.jpg (69.5 KiB) Viewed 182 times
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
rich3389
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by rich3389 »

What kind of rear shocks are those?
1978 GL1000
olchris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by olchris »

Hanslehoff wrote:I thought I'd be able to turn her over tonight but as I was topping up the coolant I noticed a puddle forming on the garage floor. Leaky thermostat :( Drained the coolant and pulled the rad and thermostat. Oring was pooched so I'll have to order another one tomorrow and wait till it gets her before I can try starting her up. I did get some other things done. Got the throttle cable shortened and hooked up and put the exhaust on. Fitted the tins and started working on where I want the seat cowl mounted. I'm liking the stance so far

But I think I need to move the rear signals forward towards the shocks and possibly chop the rear sub frame. Still needs some more thought and work.
Just an observation and no critisism intended, but you will notice that the swingarm is about 3+" below level... Those shockies look like there probably 14-15" eye to eye.. Standard is 13"ish i think... Seems to be very high, rear wheel to guard ratio.. Is that the "cafe" look that your after???... JUst a thought and i do like your combinations of satin black P/C, paint, and the grey/browny/bronzy colour of the motor with a sprinkle of alloy...
1972 Norton.. Rebuild from boxes.. http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-fra ... 44-60.html and here http://www.accessnorton.com/strange-frame-t18084.html SOLD
1975 Mk3 Norton.. Too good to mess with, but refurbished...
1975 Goldwing #1 SOLD
!975 Goldwing #2.. http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 2+wing%232
1975 Goldwing #3... http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic. ... =Wing+%233 Going very slowly but going forward..