Full Carbon Fibre GL1000 Goldwing

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

chartoo
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Full Carbon Fibre GL1000 Goldwing

Post by chartoo »

That's what my expectation is also
Built not Bought

Nudie 1981 GL1100
Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

Once again, very little work done on the bike during my time off.

I did however manage to sort my throttle linkage for the dellorto's. Fancied a twin cable setup but am sticking with Randalls recommendations to begin with. I located some m5 turnbuckles with left and right handed threads and got them on either end of a standard long weber linkage rod to get the required length. Plenty of places to adjust and quite happy with the results on the bike.
IMG_20150214_201004.jpg
IMG_20150214_201004.jpg (59.1 KiB) Viewed 478 times
still a way to go. The turnbuckles are 316 Stainless so quality items and look fab I reckon. I had to lop off the ends to get the ball joints on which was tricky with just a hacksaw and no vice. A workout for my forearms.
Last edited by Hoops on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

I did get the fuel lines hooked up and it started pretty easily. I had to kill it though when i noticed a puddle of petrol forming on the ground under the header, it was dripping out of the low point in the exhaust. At first I thought it might have been water and the head gasket had gone but a quick sniff and the rapid evaporation of it showed it to be fuel.

After installing a fuel guage on the redundant fuel return nozzle from the last carb i realised why it was happening. The pump is generating about 7psi at the end of the line so this will easily overcome the 4psi max rating on the reservoir needle valve. I have an FPR ready to go in so will fit that during my next time off.

a couple of puzzling things though

why did it only overcome the inlet valve on 1 carb
how can that much fuel be buzzing through the engine and it not flood and stall.

I still have a few more throttle linkage components to make but can open the throttle manually using the tie rod i have in place. I may start a thread in unique carburation as it is a seperate issue to the general build.
Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

In the few seconds it ran the induction chirp from the dellortos was most intoxicating.

It brought back happy memories of the DHLA 40's I used to run on my Cosworth TVR.
Carbon fibre GL1000 front and rear 1
Carbon fibre GL1000 front and rear 1
IMG_20150116_213913.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 475 times
Carbon fibre GL1000 front and rear 2
Carbon fibre GL1000 front and rear 2
IMG_20150116_214636.jpg (39.76 KiB) Viewed 475 times
randakk
Early 'Wing Guru
Early 'Wing Guru

Post by randakk »

Hoops wrote:I did get the fuel lines hooked up and it started pretty easily. I had to kill it though when i noticed a puddle of petrol forming on the ground under the header, it was dripping out of the low point in the exhaust. At first I thought it might have been water and the head gasket had gone but a quick sniff and the rapid evaporation of it showed it to be fuel.

After installing a fuel guage on the redundant fuel return nozzle from the last carb i realised why it was happening. The pump is generating about 7psi at the end of the line so this will easily overcome the 4psi max rating on the reservoir needle valve. I have an FPR ready to go in so will fit that during my next time off.

a couple of puzzling things though

why did it only overcome the inlet valve on 1 carb
how can that much fuel be buzzing through the engine and it not flood and stall.

I still have a few more throttle linkage components to make but can open the throttle manually using the tie rod i have in place. I may start a thread in unique carburation as it is a seperate issue to the general build.
Follow the instructions! You need a pump with 3-4 psi max. that can support minimum 100 horsepower volume requirements. I prefer pumps that are self-regulated at that pressure without external regulator.
Randall Washington (Randakk)
Retired Founder - www.randakks.com/
Curator - www.facebook.com/groups/CarburetorAppreciationSociety

Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

Thanks,

the pump is a LP Goss unit rated as 2 - 4.5 psi, so tried it without the FPR as these pressures are within the range required. As a check i purchased a gauge to fit to the end of line with my last order from Dellorto Europe. It pays to be cautious.

I think i am giving it too clean a voltage supply maybe.

Anyway, will fit the FPR.
gregforesi
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Greg+Foresi/

Post by gregforesi »

The bike looks really good.
Running with V-stacks instead of air cleaners leaves a couple of things to think about.
If the Dell'Orto's are similar enough to the Webers, then the float bowl vent is the opening in the carb top between the jet holders. Fuel can get out (and probably did), but more importantly, grit and debris can get in.
In the photo below you can see the aluminum piece between the jet holders of my webers. It's about 10 x 13 x 25 tall. The bottom is shaped to fit into the float bowl vent and it is JB welded in place. There is a 3mm blind hole that comes up from the bottom, and then from the back, there is a cross hole that aims up at 45° and hits the vertical hole. Debris doesn't usually want to jump that high so the vent works but contaminants can't really get in very easy.
full size.JPG
full size.JPG (148.36 KiB) Viewed 447 times
On webers - the idle jet air correctors also take in air through the carb top. There are two holes for those and they are approximately in line with the jet holders. With the carb tops off you can put triangles of foam air filter material into the little cavities below those holes (between the carb top and the gasket) and insure that the air going to the idle circuit has at least some filtering.
2006 GL1800 (Brutus Maximus)
1978 GL1000 (White Trash - 2012 BOTY
(If you want to discuss the Trashmobile, Webers, Rearsets, Clubmans, or other stuff then send me a PM.)
"Getting old ain't for sissies" - Phyllis Diller
"So how much you gonna spend to win that $5 trophy?" - Cyborg
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Good to know Greg!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

Hello all,

Thought I would revive and complete this thread. Sadly I sold the bike and gave away the rest of the parts to a couple of NGW members in the WA- Perth area.
After the birth of my son, the project stalled despite best efforts I have found that I perhaps find babies more fun than bikes for now. Who knew.......

I intended to keep the bike and finish the twin carb setup but an impending transcontinental move led to the most sensible outcome being to sell it on.

Hopefully it either gets restored to its former glory or completed in its current state and hits the road again.

I thank you for sharing the knowledge and inspiration. Its a great forum with some very pleasant folks and some truly inspiring builds on many levels.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/posting.php?mo ... 16&t=54363#
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

I thought the bike looked familiar in the the other fella's thread....now I see where I remembered it from!

Congrats on the son!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Norbert R
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norbert R »

Congrats on your son Hoops !!
Good luck with the move, and hopefully there's another Wing in your future!
Nulla futuit datum...
1977 GL1000 - BOTM April 2015
Cafe Maximus Build Thread
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

When Wings were new in the early 70's, I really wanted one but had to settle for a used CB750. After my daughter was born, I sold the bike and hung my helmet in the garage. Many moves and two more babies born, educated and married off, I finally decided it was time for a Wing. I still can't (or won't) afford a new one but I now have about five of the first and second generation wings in various states of restoration/customization. Moral: file that dream away, don't give up on it.
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

Really enjoyed your bike build, and it turned out really good, love the carbon fiber.
Sorry you sold it, but for the best reason for sure.
Thanks hoops.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 360 times
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
Hoops
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Hoops »

Fellow NGW riders. It has been some years and the Randakk manual, manifolds and Dellorto set up I ran briefly is still on the shelf. Its time for me to move it on, I am looking for around the 800 AUD mark, I believe this is about half of what I spent on the Carbs, jets, trumpets, manifolds, gaskets and shipping, so hopefully someone will get a bargain.

I ran them as they are currently set up, it idled well and went like stink and sounded amazing on WOT but the transient conditions need some different settings.

Anyway, posting shortly in the for sale section. Hopefully these will make a good addition to someones bike.