For lack of a better name...GL1100 FIT build

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: For lack of a better name...GL1100 FIT build

Post by irishcarbomb »

been busy lately with new hobbies so havent got to play much with the bike, getting caught up on the forum...

picked up a gopro and got some video of the bike in action...the angle isnt perfect since it was my first time filming, but nonetheless fun to watch.

hope you enjoy, and hope all is well with everyone.

1983 GL1100 Fuel Injected Turbo Build Thread
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Sounds like you are running pretty good!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Gowing »

irishcarbomb wrote:been busy lately with new hobbies so havent got to play much with the bike, getting caught up on the forum...

picked up a gopro and got some video of the bike in action...the angle isnt perfect since it was my first time filming, but nonetheless fun to watch.

hope you enjoy, and hope all is well with everyone.

Refreshed my memory too!
Your turbo bike runs good. It sure winds up quick, I like that!!! action1
Dave

1975 GL 1000
1980 XS650
1981 ct110
1972 F7 KAW 175
2000 moby blaze 40cc
Chihuahua (Ellie)
Chihuahua #2(Blaze)
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

Shifting: Nice video by the way... As I was watching it, I kept my eye on the throttle and your right hand. As you increase speed, you pull the throttle towards you. When you go to shift, you release it forward, shift, then pull the throttle towards you again to increase speed.

The reason I point this out is because as I have been riding my bike, I have done the same thing. But, each time I go to shift, I release the throttle, pull up on the shifter with my foot, I can feel the shifting of the gears. At times, the changing of gears can be kind of stiff and clunky or clicky.

As of late, I have played with my shifting patterns and methods. As I increase speed with the throttle, I pull in the clutch without releasing or lowering the throttle, pull up on the shifter with my foot, and it shifts smooth as butter as I release the clutch.

I bring this up because you have the perfect video showing what I thought was the right way to shift, and odds are it is, but now I am finding that shifting while holding the throttle in place works better for me.

Can you tell me if my new shifting method is bad, good, or indifferent? Is it a sign of other issues? Or just the way my bike is? Have found that it gets up and goes a lot faster with this method of shifting.
Last edited by TNTbefree on Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
robin1731
Membership Admin
Membership Admin

Post by robin1731 »

The possible issues with speed shifting, which is what TNT is describing, is the dogs on the gears won't always fully engage. This can cause issues down the road. Not engaging fully can cause the transmission to slip out of gear. Not always but possible. And each time it slips out you remove a bit of material from the dogs and slots. Over time they get so rounded they start slipping out.

Granted this takes time but it happens. I've taken transmissions out of engines that looked pretty bad. Caused by this method of shifting.
1976 Goldwing Super Sport
1985 Honda Elite
1976 KZ900 Dragbike
1992 ZX7 Dragbike (KZ900 style motor w/NOS)
and a rotation of various purchases
Randakk approved Carb Rebuilder
UK_Andy
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by UK_Andy »

TNTbefree wrote:Shifting: Nice video by the way... As I was watching it, I kept my eye on the throttle and your right hand. As you increase speed, you pull the throttle towards you. When you go to shift, you release it forward, shift, then pull the throttle towards you again to increase speed.

The reason I point this out is because as I have been riding my bike, I have done the same thing. But, each time I go to shift, I release the throttle, pull up on the shifter with my foot, I can feel the shifting of the gears. At times, the changing of gears can be kind of stiff and clunky or clicky.

As of late, I have played with my shifting patterns and methods. As I increase speed with the throttle, I pull in the clutch without releasing or lowering the throttle, pull up on the shifter with my foot, and it shifts smooth as butter as I release the clutch.

I bring this up because you have the perfect video showing what I thought was the right way to shift, and odds are it is, but now I am finding that shifting while holding the throttle in place works better for me.

Can you tell me if my new shifting method is bad, good, or indifferent? Is it a sign of other issues? Or just the way my bike is? Have found that it gets up and goes a lot faster with this method of shifting?
Surely every time you pull in the clutch to change gear the revs rise and something else that I can't quite think of right now :-?
TNTbefree
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TNTbefree »

UK_Andy wrote: Surely every time you pull in the clutch to change gear the revs rise and something else that I can't quite think of right now :-?
At times it does, but if I hold it just right and steady, and shift quickly, not so much. So that is speed shifting. (Please keep in mind, I have only ridden for a little over a year) And speed shifting chips away at the dogs and slots. Good to know. But it feels so much smoother.
CYBORG

Post by CYBORG »

I also think it is hard on the clutch
1978 custom GL1000
1977 custom with 1200 engine
1985 gl1200
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

That thing is just so much fun to listen to. tumb2 tumb2

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
trevor42
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by trevor42 »

Been "gone" for a couple years: job change, moving, life, etc. So I was following this build at the beginning, but lost track over the last couple years. The progress you made with the EFI and turbo are inspiring, and the finished (are they ever really finished?) product is amazing.
Is the front wheel pulling off the ground in the Go-Pro video, or is that just an illusion from you leaning into the bike?
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Prussian field marshall Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke

1979 GL1000 - rebuild in (slow) progress
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

trevor42 wrote: Is the front wheel pulling off the ground in the Go-Pro video, or is that just an illusion from you leaning into the bike?

Thats just me leaning in an effort to stay on the bike, the seat doesn't provide much support from sliding back.

I'm building a kit car right now, but plan to revisit the bike eventually for some upgrades...
trevor42
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by trevor42 »

Kit cars: another project that I desperately want to do but have zero time for. What kit are you building?
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy." - Prussian field marshall Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke

1979 GL1000 - rebuild in (slow) progress
irishcarbomb
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by irishcarbomb »

trevor42 wrote:Kit cars: another project that I desperately want to do but have zero time for. What kit are you building?
Exomotive Exocet, basically remove the body from a miata and replace with a tubular frame...and of course it will get the turbo treatment as well. Should end up in the 250-300hp range and weigh about 1500lbs. Don't really enjoy riding anymore so this seemed like a good alternative.
IMG_1001_zpsbgyz9p8f.jpg
IMG_1001_zpsbgyz9p8f.jpg (195.92 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

That does look like FUN .....

Gord car1
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
WileCyot
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by WileCyot »

Are you still located in Humble by chance? I'm down the road in Katy and am looking to do this to a 1000 I picked up. I'm planning on using a CBR300R throttle body and port injection via bungs welded into the stock GL1000 elbows.