Here's an update as these projects are never really done. So I decided I wanted a fairing and not just one of those cookie cutter cafe fairings. I always liked the shape of the GS1000S Wes Cooley fairings, so I found one over in the UK and decided to make it look decisively all Honda.
Here's all that was entailed:
1. Bought the fairing and smoked shield from: http://suzukiusedspares.com
in the UK
2. Trimmed and fitted the fairing as it was pretty poorly cut out
3. I welded up and fabricated brackets similar to those on the Cooley failing
4. GS1000 headlight stays that slip on the fork legs. Also had to sand with a drum sander the center of the rubber grommets that go around the fork legs to give a touch more diameter. I also had to extend the GL1000 light bucket out a bit as I wanted a tight fit to the headlight cutout
5. Made adjustable steering stops in the lower triple as I needed it about 3/16th's less on the stops so the fairing wouldn't hit the tank.
6. Switched to a Euro bar instead of Superbike bars
7. Bought 2 GS1000 front directionals and rewired with GL internals so I could have running lights and blinkers. The only thing I had to do is add a ground for the stalk to the headlight bucket ground.
8. Purchased 11 mm Trim Lock edge molding for the windscreen : http://www.ebay.com/itm/180-New-Rubber- ... pg&vxp=mtr
9. Purchased metric wellnuts from NAPA for the wind screen
10. Going to use 1985 GSXR flat mirrors as they replicate the Cooley mirrors (I think) http://www.ebay.com/itm/302168979667?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
11. Added a 14 mm master cylinder, mostly because I wanted better braking
12. Sand, prime and paint.