78 Scrambler

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

dl1000
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Re: Tracker style

Post by dl1000 »

Nice workmanship! Get a set of new timing belts so you don't push it again.
1978 GL1000.....KATE Daily ride

a very wise man once said nothing
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by ronajon »

dl1000 wrote:Nice workmanship! Get a set of new timing belts so you don't push it again.
first items i purchased when i got the new engine ;)
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

carb function woes

Post by ronajon »

resolved one problem, then another one pop-up

from the start when i had the new engine in, i'm experiencing some slow throttle response, sometimes on full throttle the bike holds or (when cold) just dies. My guess is that it's some vacuum hose issue.

tonight i had some time to investigate and after pulling the air filter box i noticed some fluids in the air intake. Futher inspection i also saw one of the vacuum lines "wettish"

it's the vacuum hose of the carb on cylinder no. 3, also most of the fluids in the air intake seem to pile up there.

can this be the problem of the slow throttle response?
Last edited by ronajon on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
EHE
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by EHE »

northwood wrote:*Raising hand* OH OH OH, me too! I like those extra cooling portions of the valve covers. I have never seen them before and would like a pair.
Shadow wrote:I'd like to know about those finned valve covers on the engine to the lower right in the photo...I want some!

I thought these valve covers were aftermarket parts in Europe... (I do have a set for myself also :) )
they do look cool 70's style, but the quality is not really good... most of them have leakage problems. and need to be reworked before installation.

every now and than they pop up on dutch internet markets, but they seem to be rare overhere also.
EHE
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Re: carb function woes

Post by EHE »

ronajon wrote:resolved one problem, then another one pop-up

from the start when i had the new engine in, i'm experiencing some slow throttle response, sometimes on full throttle the bike holds or (when cold) just dies. My guess is that it's some vacuum hose issue.

tonight i had some time to investigate and after pulling the air filter box i noticed some fluids in the air intake. Futher inspection i also saw one of the vacuum lines "wettish"

it's the vacuum hose of the carb on cylinder no. 3, also most of the fluids in the air intake seem to pile up there.

sounds like it's getting to much air somewhere... might be a broken vacuum hose, but I don't get the greasy look... that might mean that there is some polution in the filter housing because of the carter ventilation?

by the way: in wat area from the Netherlands are you positioned? I'm living in the far east ;) Twente
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: carb function woes

Post by ronajon »

EHE wrote:
ronajon wrote:resolved one problem, then another one pop-up

sounds like it's getting to much air somewhere... might be a broken vacuum hose, but I don't get the greasy look... that might mean that there is some polution in the filter housing because of the carter ventilation?

by the way: in wat area from the Netherlands are you positioned? I'm living in the far east ;) Twente
the grease look is no polution, it's fuel. it seams to me that somehow the fuel from the carburetor gets blown or sucked into the air intake?
i live in the beginning of the east (at least for everybody between De Randstad and Amersfoort) Apeldoorn
EHE
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by EHE »

okay, I see.

I'm not sure this might cause your problem, but off course the vacuum hoses may not have air leakage, that's for sure.
Is that hose spongy? than you'd better replace them.

My opinion however is that a slow throttle response is a bit GL1000 carburator related... All my GL1000's are equiped with GL1100 carburators and intakes. Because of the acceleration pump on those models, the throttle response is much much better and all the typical carburator problems that occur on a 1000 model are gone also.

the intake diameter is a little smaller than on a 1000 so you loose a little horsepower, but the torque increases.
Might be a modification to consider.

btw: my little village is positioned about 20 km north east from Almelo (almost germany....)
Hal
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Hal »

Sounds like a good time to rebuild the carbs. I used Randakk's kit, and the results are excellent. It's definitely well worth doing his off idle glitch 'repair' at the same time.

This involves soldering the air jets in the external elbows shut, then redrilling to make them slightly smaller, only about 11%, but it does cure the initial 'stumble' away from tickover.

Check it on http://www.randakks.com/TechTip6.htm

You can in fact buy #60 air Honda OE jets still, and re-drill these instead, using the appropriate sized micro-drill.
"The Moving Finger writes, and having writ, moves on,
nor all your Piety nor Wit
can lure it back to cancel half a line...

so....probably best use Tipp-Ex in future?"

1977 GL1000 in bits
1978 SR 500 Yam
1995 Harley Sportster/Buell street-tracker
1992 Grinnall Scorpion SC3 prototype
2002 Caterham SV 220 Evo (4 wheeled motorcycle) :mrgreen:

Hal's Nalbum
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by ronajon »

EHE wrote:okay, I see.

I'm not sure this might cause your problem, but off course the vacuum hoses may not have air leakage, that's for sure.
Is that hose spongy? than you'd better replace them.

My opinion however is that a slow throttle response is a bit GL1000 carburator related... All my GL1000's are equiped with GL1100 carburators and intakes. Because of the acceleration pump on those models, the throttle response is much much better and all the typical carburator problems that occur on a 1000 model are gone also.

the intake diameter is a little smaller than on a 1000 so you loose a little horsepower, but the torque increases.
Might be a modification to consider.

btw: my little village is positioned about 20 km north east from Almelo (almost germany....)
i've read about the 1100 carb being better in the throttle response, but i remember there were some issues using them on the gl1000 (don't know what issues, thought i read something about it on the dutch goldwingforum.nl)

unfortunately i have only 1000 carbs (actually i got 2 sets), so i'm going to see if i can find the leak. can it be detected with wd40 or brake cleaner?
Hal wrote: Sounds like a good time to rebuild the carbs. I used Randakk's kit, and the results are excellent. It's definitely well worth doing his off idle glitch 'repair' at the same time.

This involves soldering the air jets in the external elbows shut, then redrilling to make them slightly smaller, only about 11%, but it does cure the initial 'stumble' away from tickover.

Check it on http://www.randakks.com/TechTip6.htm

You can in fact buy #60 air Honda OE jets still, and re-drill these instead, using the appropriate sized micro-drill.
when i bought the bike the PO said he did the randakk rebuild about a year ago, my best guess for now is finding an air leak in one of the hoses. if that doesn't solve it, perhaps i'm going for the randakk-way
EHE
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by EHE »

I never had any issues putting 1100 carbs on a 1000. You must use the intakes as well and than it's plug and play. I think I almost drove 100.000 km's with that setup on the GL that now has a sidecar next to it.
1100 carbs are very oft for sale on marktplaats and don't need to cost a lot (I think I have about 4 or 5 GL 1000 carburator sets laying around and never use them... still want to sell some of them, but I'm just to lazy to try and they don't bring in much money either)

Air leaks are best to search with brake cleaner. that stuff is prette flamable, so in case of a leak the engine will increase rpm, but I'm not sure weather the vacuum hoses are also connected to the mixture chamber of the carbs or that it is completely seperated from that by membranes. I just don't know....
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

The hoses are not vacuum hoses; they are air hoses feeding the pilot air circuit.
If you have fuel in them it seems to me that the plenum gasket must be leaking fuel into the bottom of the plenum.

You probably need to do an overhaul on the carbs, despite the what the previous owner said.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by ronajon »

the throttle response is not yet resolved, but i have clutch issues to resolve first.
when the bike is in neutral gear, shifting to first or second is no problem, but i cannot shift back to neutral or 1st when coming from 2nd when the rear tire is blocked (break, standing still) with the clutch lever pulled in.
when the bike is on the center stand with the rear wheel free, i can shift up and down from 1st to 2nd and back. The rear wheel does drag and sometimes the engine stops when braking.
i have already adjusted the clutch "by the book" but that didn't solve the issue
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

Post by Fred Camper »

That clutch action just sounds normal. I need to find neutral when rolling or shut the engine off. If I was in second stopped, not sure it would go to first or not as I have not tried that. But neutral when idling needs to at least let the bike rock.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by ronajon »

i read up alot on the board about the clutch problems i'm having.
i pulled the engine today, and the clutch. there seems nothing wrong with the clutch or the plates.

First i saw a splined washer which seemed to be loose. Hoping that that would be the cause of my clutch problems i started searching on this board, but after reading this post from Old Fogey the splined washer seems to be loose on the shaft.

friction plates thickness is around 3.5mm, so these are re-usable.

now my best guess is a clogged scavenger pump. I found on wingnovations a tutorial to modify the gasket to prevent the pump from blocking, but i can't find a howto to remove the scavenger pump itself.

anybody has a manual or tutorial for the removal / repair of the scavenger pump?
ronajon
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by ronajon »

got some seats last friday.
both need some work, but i'm very happy with them!
Attachments
2013-03-01 17.18.39.jpg
2013-03-01 17.18.39.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 143 times
20130302-182914.jpg
20130302-182914.jpg (77.26 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Last edited by ronajon on Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.