replacing stator with $40 GM alternator

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

bikerdad5
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: replacing stator with $40 GM alternator

Post by bikerdad5 »

Did you drill and tap v pulley to the crank t.belt pulley? if you have pics of the mounting brackets that would be helpful also. nice conversion.
Why should I press one for English?
1977 GL1000 basket case/resurrection project.
jake2012
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by jake2012 »

Just used a longer crank pulley bolt and pined the 5" V pulley so it sets against the crank key so the bolt will not unscrew. No better pics of mount brackets than in my post. Just hold the alt where it lines up with the lower pulley and bend some Lowes flat stock. I had an extra set of original motor mount brackets and welded the bent flat stock to a piece of the motor mount that has the nut already inplace. You could just weld a nut to a piece of flat stock that the original motor mount bolt will thread into in order to get that offset you can see in my pics. As far as the other side bracket you just need to cut an adjustment slot, in an arch,bolt it to the alt and weld it between the frame rail. Make that bracket after you have made and fitted the right side pivot bracket. The right side has to be removable so you can remove the alternator. anim-cheers1
Jake's past rides
1973 Suzuki TC 100
1976 Suzuki GT 550
1983 Honda ATC250R
1975 Elsinore 250
1977 custom hawg chopper
1952 Pan Shovel
2x 76 gl1000s
rod willis
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rod willis »

THIS IS A NICE SET UP HOW IS IT WORKING
ROD
rod willis
1976 GL1000
Dirt Road Cowboy
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by Dirt Road Cowboy »

This is the thread that got me to sign up for the forum, so I'll make my first post here to thank Jake for his inspirational work!

I was setting my 78 Wing up with a Chevy alternator, but I didn't like the way it was looking - then I found this thread! I will be setting mine up this way now! :orange

Thank You Jake!

:notworthy:
78 GL1000

DirtRoadCowboy.com
Casper
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by Casper »

Hey Dirt Road Cowboy. In the two years I have been hanging here, I have been amazed many-many times by the skills shown by various NGW members. The work done by jake2012 is certainly one fine example.

Welcome, and hang around a bit.

Cheers,
1976 LTD, Being Returned to Stock
Standard 1976 GL1000 Being Morphed into the Alberta Super Clipper
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Stick around, Casper, there's a guy who's going to make his 76 fuel injected!!!
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
frankshetler
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by frankshetler »

Leave it to the new guy to dig up an old thread!

Well, apparently I joined back in Feb 2012, never posted anything and forgot all about it. lmao.

SO. I got a couple of questions.

1. Where does the white wire on the alternator lead to?

2. Is this considered a 1 wire alt, and if so, why do they all have 3 terminals?

3. Any problems with the radiator being kicked out with the fan mounted on front? I noticed on one of the other threads somebody mentioned that on hard braking the fender would hit fan.

I got the same 10 inch fan as yours, mounted with the zip tie things, and have unbolted fender to relocate lower as it would have been a problem for sure. Looks like it should be ok but youre the one who has been driving it for a couple years!

oh,
4. the reverse rotation "issue" stated here.... Everything ive seen says chevy alts spin clockwise. From my best deduction, the GL also spins clockwise, unless somebody is looking at something from opposite end. Looking at face of pulley clock.....
OH. yeah they obviously looking at it like weirdos. Fan looks very CCW from my perspective.

does anybody know if the Mini Denso gets angry from spinning in the necessary direction?

3 wires seen on the back of it too, when called one wire!

thanks.

-Another guy named Frank
78 GL1k
Aka Rat Trap
DocRoot
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DocRoot »

jake2012: Upgraded from gm alternator to mini Denso.
jake2012 MiniDenso conversion
jake2012 MiniDenso conversion
MiniDenso.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 617 times

If you had done the Mini with the stock carbs in place, would you have still had to modify the air intake? What happened to the coils?
Appreciate good people: they are hard to come by.
jake2012
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by jake2012 »

Yes you would; however using the weber 32/36 makes the install straight forward or other carb setups that free up that space. Coils are in stock position.
Jake's past rides
1973 Suzuki TC 100
1976 Suzuki GT 550
1983 Honda ATC250R
1975 Elsinore 250
1977 custom hawg chopper
1952 Pan Shovel
2x 76 gl1000s
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Hello! I guess that I am kinda late to the party! However, I really like your setup. Do you have any more pictures or info as to how your alternator is mounted? What carb setup do you have? Which alternator? I just don't like the other conversions because my bike is "naked" by choice and an alternator just sticking out, well, looks to me like a sore thumb. Anything you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
CBX-tras
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by CBX-tras »

I'm not saying to buy this particular one but, this is the style you're looking for. One wire, internally regulated, Denso, 35 amps (won't overload the wiring) and V belts are very forgiving for alignment (but at least try to get it as close as you can to prolong belt wear.)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alternator-for- ... GW&vxp=mtr
Hukmut
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by Hukmut »

Thanks CBX-tra! Got one coming. Can't wait to get it installed. Now to get that pulley. And belt. And brackets made. :-)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Do your work with your whole heart and you will succeed! There is so little competition.
Come to kindly terms with your ass, for IT bears YOU!

1999 Valkyrie built from parts. One owner. :crosso
1981 gl1100 naked, Cosicud. :orange Sold!
1981 gl1100 naked. New project. :-D
phillip0123
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by phillip0123 »

If installing a 1 wire alternator do you can the voltage regulator and the rectifier, and what about the capacitor?
Phil
79 GL1000
93 GSX1100
09 nomad 1700