Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Re: Schizoid, Power Arc, cam advance,

Post by ericheath »

Sooooo, I have been pretty happy with overall performance, but never happy enough. I have advanced the cams a little more. I think I'm a good three maybe four degrees advanced. Bottom end response is good, actually it's very good, but it stops pulling at around 7500-8000 rpm, like a rev-limiter. I've looked at the curves from PowerArc. I'm not even sure what mine is except it's for a 750. I've dabbled with jetting wondering if it's running out of fuel, couldn't get it to pull higher rpm---- which any dummy should know a 1200 redlined at 7-7500 anyways. With a Dyna, it kept on pulling to 10k. I'm extra dummied. Today I put the stock pulleys back on with dtock cam settings and it was a pretty significant hit on bottom end pulling, and it still felt like a rev-limiter at 7500-8000. So I put the advanced cam's back on. Definitely better, I decided to turn my timing down some. Like C5 it has four settings. When I put it on the second setting, it suddenly touched off all the way to 9000 with no sign of slowing down. Surprise! I guess these don't need that much advance.

The first setting advances the spark to 40 degrees at around 3900rpm and is all in at 42 degrees at 5000rpms and the rest of the way. The second setting stops advancing at 38 degrees at 3250rpms. It pulls good in the third setting as well. The third setting stops at 36 degrees at 2750rpms.

I guess I'm going to have to buy the cable to set my own curves. It's around $125 I think.

To the EFI timing gurus: Do I want to keep that first setting for best mileage on the highway, not getting on it? I guess I really need a vacuum switch.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

"best mileage on the highway" --this just doesn't seem like a economically inclined touring machine!
Glad to hear it is running good. How about the mono shock setup?
Bikes at present:

83 XL 600r with a 2004 XR650L engine
And a slightly worse for the wear BMW GS adventure bike awaiting repair
83 GL in process :IDTS:
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Monoshock is shocking. Too firm. It reduced the wheel travel, but of course increased stiffness. I need to find a lighter action one with similar ends and length.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
Toehead
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Toehead »

I wonder if the powerarc IS actually hitting the revlimiter. A programmable rev limiter is one of the advertised features.
2012 Golf TDI, fast and frugal oil burner
1980 CX500C, All around road warrior (Sold)
1975 TS125 (Sold), old smoker
1977 naked GL1000, Highway cruiser
'81 GL1100 14,000 (reconditioned and sold)
'81 GL1100 50,000 miles (under construction)
2X 1981 CM400 beginner bike (sold)
1980 CB750C (sold)
1994 Virago 750 (Wifey's bike)
'76 GL1000 Sulphur Yellow (Megasquirted efi build) http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=59774
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I think this one is programmed for 10k. It pulls up to 9k without missing, but seems to lose its torque at 7-7500. Next gear pulls better shifting lower. Two gears and you're over the speed limit anyways. I got pulled over the other day, kind of took the fun out of it in a hurry. Gave me a fix it ticket rather than speed.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

What, the puck. That sinking feeling you get while cleaning up and you know those carbs are coming off again.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (193.61 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Not the jets, the puck!
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
gltriker
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by gltriker »

details, details, details!! :oldies ;)

by the way.......just have to know. How are you moving and maintaining the index of your engine's, camshafts' timing by a few degrees?
offset keys? presto change-o? :shock:
Cliff (74yrs ;) )

Keep your eyes and ears open and you'll learn something new, everyday. tumb2

New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help: <---jdvorchak
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST
^^^^^^^click up here^^^^^ :oldies

RE: a thorough fuel tank cleaning
"And your carbs will thank you. They no longer live down stream from a sewage plant." -gregforesi tumb2
"Can't see the paint when your looking thru the handlebars..........." -Oldewing ;)
"I'd rather Ride than Shine" -RAT tumb2 Me Too!!

Cliff

'75 GL1000 home built trike; http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=39996
October,2017 BOTM :shock: https://nakedgoldwingsclub.com/forum/page/Welcome

previous rides:
1953 H-D Servi-car, naked, 1969-1978 (serial#53G1559 committed to memory!)
1980 CB900 Custom (triked) 1997-2003 .... R.I.P.
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

You could pretend the puck was a spare, after all it will run reasonably good on the other three cylinders. At least you are an expert at pulling the carbs off by now!
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I guess I forgot to mention my latest change. I tossed the shorter version of the 1000 slide springs in. Boy, that brings the power on faster. Me likey.

I went to court yesterday for my "fix it" ticket and plead guilty with an explanation. The officer included in his report that I was going 40kph over the limit, but stated twice that I was apologetic. I told the judge I had fixed the light/ license plate. Had pictures, but he didn't even want to look at them. He read the report silently and said, "I'm going to make it a reprimand, you're free to go."

It was a good day. I only have a month of riding left if I'm lucky.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Full disclosure disclaimer: if you're just a hack like me, take your time to post questions here especially if you're chopping and adding or taking away. Plenty of the advice here has saved my skin. I posted pics of my upper mounts which were going to be too weak and HOTT and a few others suggested a different tack. I should have posted my underside as well.

I heard a few clicks taking of the other day and felt a little squirrellyiness from the back end so I figured I'd better check my "handiwork" out. I look over my welds regularly, especially the neck where it's raked. I try and look every time I put on gas. The swingarm is more difficult to look at, especially when you have two atrtificial hips. But I do look. I thought maybe a u-joint was going. I have focussed more on the upper mounts where it's tied into the tubular frame.

So up on the lift it went, down to the concrete I went. Looked up and duhuuuuuuh.
IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0721.JPG (229.16 KiB) Viewed 175 times
The first pic shows it tearing the u-shape brace between the arms. The second a better pic, but the third shows my "fail" of the Welding 101 exam. The placement of my support ran right on top of the u-shaped support. The u-shaped piece is boxed to go over and under the main two legs of the swingarm. The real strength is in the main to legs. The U-piece is pretty light and just stiffens the arms. I ground down the weld that was the there and welded up the dogear the way it sat. The third pic tells the story. Unfortunately only the front portion of the weld caught the rectangular meat of the swing arm. The rest ran right along the thinner metal u-shaped piece. It broke cleanly right along the line of the u-shaped support weld. (which I had just ground down to be weaker. The rip is nice and clean along that line. In the back it's jagged (like I was about to become.)

Fortunately it is still straighter than I am, so a few support pieces and it should be good to go. I'm taking it to a professional this time. (Partly because I'm out of argon)
Attachments
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG (290.41 KiB) Viewed 175 times
IMG_0724.JPG
IMG_0724.JPG (168.36 KiB) Viewed 175 times
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
Easter
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Easter »

Good that you caught it before something worse happened.
Bikes at present:

ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I have to thank the good Lord that didn't turn out worse. I called a guy who advertised welding and he texted he'd do it Saturdays, had several years experience, so I'm in. Showed up at a place way out in the country. A young guy came out and met me. I showed him what I thought it needed, he said he'd text me when it was done. So off to McD's for an hour and half. All done. I went back and he did a nice job. His Dad was there. I asked if he'd been doing this for long, He said, "Years." So I grinned a bit and asked how many years do you have on your birthday suit. "Ahhh, seventeen." I thought he was young. Anyways, it went back together quickly and everything lined up. I took a spin tonight and will check it out in the morning.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I never answered Cliff's question about valve timing. I got my numbers using math and the thickness of shims I used to advance the cam. There are a little over 0.050" of shims pushing the cams forward. I think the math is correct, but my calipers are shoddy. High tech math, low tech machine work.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

Congrats on BOTM! You certainly have put a lot of work into Schizoid!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
Fred Camper
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Jeff+Bozeman/

October 2016 Bike of the Month

Post by Fred Camper »

Congratulations.
Proud member of the NGW Cartel (Rochester MI)
1977 GL1000 BADDOG (April 2012 BOTM)
1976 LTD - '993 LTD...and so it begins'

You should remember that it's peace of mind you're after and not just fixing the machine. R.Pirsig