The Keith Wright Story - Custom Frames Collection

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

SoyBoySigh
Tin Member
Tin Member

Re: The Keith Wright Story - Custom Frames Collection

Post by SoyBoySigh »

BUMP - It's an interesting idea. Modding the frame like that.

If only Mr. K.W. had spent less time looking at Harley Chopper mags & more time looking at pics of Classic ENDURANCE RACERS like the RIckman/Dresda 'Wing & Doncque "DLF-1000" -

Of course, SOMEBODY ELSE could still offer up a replica frame kit for such a project. Would sure be nice to see some equivalent to PAUGHCO - heck maybe even Paughco themselves, who would offer replica frames taken from classic RACING kit-bikes, such as the aforementioned Rickman/Dresda & DLF-1000 - Or for that matter the Bimota HB1 for SOHC CB750's & Bimota HB2/HB3, TONY FOALE, Harris Magnum-2, Moto-Martin, EGLI, Nico Bakker, Moko etc, KIT-BIKE frames for the DOHC-4 Honda series. Not to mention individual race-bikes of note, such as the Christian Fior "GIEDAM" chassis. Or the RCB & RS1000 chassis from Honda's "Racing Services Corporation" themselves.

Though I'm neck deep in the DOHC-4 side of the camp, nevertheless the one which I'd MOST like to see produced, would be the "DLF" frame for the 'Wing engines. And believe it or not, the 2nd runner-up would be the Rickman/Dresda.

Plenty of interesting enough builds revolving around the DOHC but the 'WING field of play is so sparsely populated, it would make such a huge difference to the Classic Honda RACING scene.

But hey - even if that much isn't possible? If it must remain as a TWIN-shock rear end, and a frame with the VIN number still stamped on the neck - SOMEBODY could offer a weld-on kit to tilt the engine up in front, re-locate the rear shock mounts, mount some rear-sets, move the swing-arm pivot etc - so as to tilt the steering stem more upright & quicken the front end action.

It really wouldn't have to be all THAT radical. Look at how the GL1200 already has the best type of fairing mounting lugs already welded to it's neck - And look at some of the lovely double headlight FAIRINGS offered for the BMW Boxer-twins, how similar they are to the DLF unit.

But above all else, we'd need/want a WELD-UP HUB kit, ala the wire-spoke CB900C chopper built by "6pkrunner" on the CB750C.com forums/'C-ommunity. Not to mention some type of alternate swing-arm & shaft extension etc, so as to fit the likes of a 3.50x18" or 4.25x18" rim on the back end of a GL1100 or GL1200 - Now THAT could be some very interesting kit for these bikes. All the OTHER contemporary CHAIN-DRIVE bikes got all sorts of Aluminum aftermarket swing-arms, from CAL-FAB (on my "Bol Bomber") or the Metmachex, Harris, Bimota, Dresda, etc etc - But nothing for the 'WING? There ought to be a stretch kit, with a wider braced arm, longer and including a splined male-to-female extension piece to add onto the end of the original drive-shaft - Shouldn't be a problem if it were done this way, no cutting & welding etc.

Perhaps with that type of thing available, the 'WING could've retained a place in the ROAD RACING world. With such a reliable engine, there's no question that a tricked-out 'WING had a chance in FIM ENDURANCE RACING!

Well I don't know what all size of rear rim & tire I'd be able to put onto a GL1200 rear end, what extra room I'd get from a GL1100 swinger - But when I DO lay hands on a basket-case frame & engine to start my DREAM BUILD with, I've got 40-spoke wire wheel alloy rims in a whole RANGE of sizes and set aside for this specific purpose. 4.25x18", 3.50x18", 3.00x18", 2.50x18", 5.00x17". 4.25x17", 3.50x16" (in several different profile types & all drilled for the Honda 40-spoke rear hub!) plus 3.00x16" Borrani - SOMETHING'S gonna fit! I could see a Bimota HB2/HB3 or Ducati F1 say Yam' FJ1100 style of 16"/16" rims with low-profile sporting rubber, though if I can't get the 18" stuff in there I'd sure apprecieate 3.50x16" front with 5.00x17" rear - With THAT, I could see a sort of mid-'80s style of "DLF-1200" pseudo-replica, with the TRAC forks & "tornado" vented rotors etc etc. Almost tempting to paint this picture with the Gold BOOMERANG rims on it - which is feasible using the weld-up HUB method, like 6pkrunner's CB900C wire-spoke chop.

If there were a proper DLF-1000 replica frame available? Set up for 1000/1100/1200 versions, with alternative monoshock rear end, perhaps the splined shaft extensions etc - We could see a vast migration of big 'WINGS from the touring scene to the ROAD RACING side of things!

It ain't fair that the Ducati F1 people, heck anybody with a later era two-valve rubber-band engine really, can have a decent race-replica frame, listed in magazine advertising. Where's the 'WING race-replica frame kit??? ARGH.

It's only made all the MORE irritating when what IS on offer, is just a bunch of Harley cruiser-clone STYLE OVER SUBSTANCE nonsense.....

-Sigh.