The Keith Wright Story - Custom Frames Collection

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

John Schmidt
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Keith Wright Story - Custom Frames Collection

Post by John Schmidt »

I had one of those kits, must have been at least ten yrs. ago. I was building it to use as a run around so I didn't have to use my 1500 Wing. Had the bike about 75% done when I bought the Valkyrie. With that, I didn't feel I needed to build up a local hot rod so sold it. Got back most of what I had in it, but now wish I still had it. It dropped the seat height from about 29" to around 24.5", really cool ride. Love the looks of those completed bikes in the pictures.
1984 GL1200 Standard, work in progress
1998 Valkyrie Tourer, my Honda Davidson ;) Image
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

old thread but haven't seen an answer anywhere, nissin wheels?!

bladredhead wrote:
sunnbobb wrote:
the kind often found as swap meets for a fraction of their original cost as are the 19-inch front and the 17-inch rear Nissin wheels common to Honda Hurricanes of 1980s vintage..

this hurricane?

fits on the rear? anyone confirm or deny?
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
sneauxcrash
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by sneauxcrash »

I've read the same thing and wondered about Hurricane rims. I've haven't found any pictures of these rims on a Keith Wright framer
motoring through life!
75' Wing (in progress)
84' Interceptor
84' Magna
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

me neither
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
82aspy
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 82aspy »

i thought nissin are brake (caliper) parts, maybe a typo

looks like this kit is n/a new? what models is the frame mod for
"there is a Darwinian element"
Yoda said, "There is no try or not try; there is only do or don't do."
=====================
ngw quotes anim-cheers1 - \ "I will strip the beast" \ "the swingarm is just a hunk of metal" \ "gonna maybe ...dunno yet" \ "It's never done, thats the fun." \ "something about this site brings me back"
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

Brakes, probably right on that one. The kits would fit both 1000 and 1100. not sure about 1200

1978 Learning Experience
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

I see the article.I have read it several times.I have many questrions though.The stock top frame rails also used to have mounting points for the shelter frame and the shelter.Those are gone. You cut those out,at which points/ Up front by the steering neck and back in the back where the swingarm portion starts.Then take tubing and angle down for a new seat placement? This eliminates the stock gastank, understood.Find one off a bike I like and use it.Mounted in some way.Assuming it should be off a 4 cylinder and with a gravity type feed and petcock.The sidecavities formerly housing the sidecovers is gone, so fabricating sidecovers is necessary.The battery used to hide behind the left one.Now it would appear some sort of battery box would be needed and occupy the former gastank area. The article also talked about changing the rake.That's a big deal.Longer and lower look, but it does not seem necessary.Am I in the ballpark about this? Also many parts of the wiring harness,connectors,mounting points for regulator,solenoid,coils etc would have to be moved.And mounted somehow.Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.I have a junk 78 I want to carve up and try this.
Future owner of a oldewing.#12 in my goldwing history.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin

Post by sunnbobb »

I think you have it. Go forth and build your custom. Not for the faint of heart. The Wright frame does not include cutting the front and changing the rake. That would be the "Hott" mod. See his thread on Ol Sparky for how to do that.

1978 Learning Experience
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Ol'Sparky is easier, in his current build, Lucky13, he uses a second way. I tried a second way similar to his. It's still hanging on the wall and probably will stay there.

I would suggest checking with your state's regulations on frame modifications if there are any. I know of one place that words "no welding on the neck." They do not define "neck", and that leaves it open to some interpretation. I'm holding to the neck as the part that houses the bearings and triple trees.

If you do it like Ol'Sparky you can keep it clean and make it look like factory welds--- or better. And the welds are off the part that holds the triple trees.

I would also suggest removing the rivets that hold the information tag as it will get burned from the heat of the weld. I figured the stamped number was good enough, but the tag says it has met safety standards and must be on the bike.

When I had mine inspected, he looked at the alterations under the tank and asked why I did that--to which I thought I was dead meat--- luckily for me he answered himself and said it must have been to fit the tank, huh? I said,"Yup," as quickly as I could.

He was an interesting inspector. First thing he did was put on his helmet and take it for a ride. When he returned, he told me I needed to get better brakes because he took it up to 100-115 and tried the brakes and it wouldn't slow down well. My eyes got pretty big when he said that, and I'm sure my mouth fell open. He looked at my speedometer and said, "Oh, that's mph not kph."

The other way around this is get the bike licensed first, then do what you want. It makes resale tough. It also leaves you open to any officer who feels like it to question it.

Make it look as professional as you can.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

the bike i will be chopping up is in now way ever going to be stretable.Almost every part of it would need replaced.the starter is good.the wheels shocks,handlebars are good.I will never cut a frame neck.I thought it was a have to do thing.Here the inspection station just wants to hear it start,lights and signals and horn work.They never even sit on it.Plus one texas congressman is trying to get a law passed to eliminate inspections.If I could get this junker cut and looking right I might buy a $500 one and do it for real.There are those here often.My plans:
1.I have 2 kawasaki kz 1000 circa 1980 gastanks.One is junk.Cut and weld on it once the frame mods are done to make it fit.Then duplicate that on the good tank.2.Fiberglass front fender.sportbike type,jc whitney has them.
3.I bought a nifty headlight that has turnsignals built into it.
4.I bought a pair of handlebars years ago to use.
5.Sidecovers fabricated would be large triangular shaped much bigger than original.By sort of louvering the covers make them look ala testarosa.Perhaps buy one of those fiberglass car scoops and put it on them.Maybe not even do any of that.
6.I have a solo seat off a 2001 yamaha venture,much padding is out and its covered with ostrich skin from a bike i used to have.
7.I have the mufflers off that bike too but they probably wouldnt work nor look good.
8.Make the sidecovers out of expanded metal and a solid emblem held on with short bolts and nuts that reads gl1000.
9.Paint the whole thing red.
10.frenched license plate,rear turn signals ala vtx1800 n, or rune style.
11.or let it rot.
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

where did you put all the electrics? I would think many wires would have to be lenghtened and the connectors and such would have to be relocated back under the sidecovers or battery area.
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

I moved the diodes and regulator towards the back under the side covers, LIFEPO4 battery, is so small it allows that. There's tons of room without the tank there. The rest I placed on the flat portion of the heat shield. It's all there, like a plate of spaghetti.

Another build that's been quiet lately is EHE's build. I forgot it's thread title. He moved much electrical under the seat.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

I would like to see ehe build.Thanks for the good information also.
wingrider
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by wingrider »

doubleminded wrote:I would like to see ehe build.Thanks for the good information also.
here you go!
2002 1800 Wing
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
1978 1200 EFI Wing with Motorvation Coupe Royale sidecar
1977 1200 Wing cafe/bobber project
1974 Suzuki GT550
doubleminded
Titanium Member
Titanium Member

Post by doubleminded »

thanks friend