Does this make her butt look slimmer?

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

TomE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/TomE/

Re: Does this make her butt look slimmer?

Post by TomE »

So my wife drives a school bus. Last week, one of her co-workers was stopped at a railroad crossing. Lights on, blinking, the whole works. While the lights were on, the co-worker was rear ended.

The lady in the car said she did not see the school bus, with all the blinking lights on, if you can believe that.

My idea is to get LED signals that are bright enough that they cause eyeball pain. Maybe that will get through to the distracted drivers. :?:
TomE
Big Red, a '75 Wing
Black Beauty, a '99 Valkyrie
Cookie
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
RIP: 1950-2011

Post by Cookie »

I once got assigned to a route because a local celebrity's kid had been hit by a car passing a stopped bus with the lights on, they didn't see it.
Did I ever worry about those kids being safe????
Enjoy life,
Cookie

A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad.
Owner of 4.4 76s and one lone 75 Wings (does a spare engine make .2?)
kilo_bravo_79
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by kilo_bravo_79 »

sorry all, after a decent nights sleep i realized that i forgot a Zero. It should have read 200 ft instead of 20. i suppose that if we were only given 20 feet to react, brake and stop i'd already be a skid mark. :shock:
what the wife yells at you for today is usually the things your kids remember you for 50 years from now...
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

TomE wrote:My idea is to get LED signals that are bright enough that they cause eyeball pain. Maybe that will get through to the distracted drivers. :?:
Yeah. Me too. I bought a couple of sets of trailer lights for the outfits. The ones for the winter machine look the same as the old bulb ones I had before but they are a lot brighter and draw a lot less current.
The ones for the 'Wing are rectangular so I tried putting the insides from one behind a 'Wing lens, but it wasn't very bright. I figure that, since bulbs produce broad spectrum light and the lens filters out all but what you want, it can be any wavelength of but the LEDs actually produce red light so they need a lens that passed their specific wavelength. So I mounted them as they came and maybe I'll find a way to dress them up a bit later on.

As much as I prefer amber turn signals, when it came time to put turn signals on the new sidecar I looked at what was available and what I had and decided to use a pair of 4" diameter 10 superflux red tail/brake lights that I had bought but not used for something else. As you can see, I have only mounted the one on the sidecar so far. While I'm prepping the left saddlebag for paint I will make another blanking plate like the one on the right bag and mount the other signal so that the connector goes through the plate and it is about the same height as the one on the sidecar.

You can't tell from the pic but that signal is really bright. If they don't notice it flashing they should be declared legally blind.

I have converted the winter machine to HID headlights. Except for Halogen projector fog lights, every other light on it is LED, including side markers that replaced the reflectors, instrument lights and all the "idiot lights" and indicators by the auxiliary lighting switches in the fairing.

I have all the stuff for the 'Wing's HIDs and LED signals & markers so I can install them as soon as I'm able to work on it. I won't do the instrument panel yet because I might change to a Trail Tech next year.

BTW: I don't put the boxes on unless I need the extra capacity (with the sidecar, that means camping with the wife). I haven't decided yet, but I might try to put LEDs in the reflectors on the sidecar's topbox and connect them to the brake lights. At very least, I will keep my eyes open for some reflectors/lights suitable for the bike's box.
Mr. Honda ('83 GL1100/Dnepr) summer How a motorcycle evolves thread
The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/VeloUral) winter Never Ending Build (CX500forum)
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
"A guy with two sidecars can't be all bad." - Cookie
Another guy with two sidecars..... Hmmmm... must be something to that....
LikeMike64
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by LikeMike64 »

Sidecar Bob wrote:But what really drives me nuts is seeing one bus tailgating another!!
This happens regularly around here.
Three of the buses carrying children from a local elementary school, ran into each other in Columbia due to tailgating each other, last week.
Mike
So many interests, so little time...

'76 GL1000: "The Super Bee" - finished.
'75 GL1000: Basket Case, Next project in queue
BladeRunner
Billet Alum. Member
Billet Alum. Member

Post by BladeRunner »

This is an interesting topic; I know for a fact that at least here in Canada ALL or nearly all of Chrysler vehicles ( I know..this is a M/C board :flamer ) have a safety feature built into the software.

As most of us probably know, lights in general and particularly headlights have become increasingly brighter. When a signal is turned on the headlight turns OFF, as soon as the signal is cancelled the headlight comes back on. This is nesessary because of composite headlight/signal assemblies.
Nearly all vehicles have these type of assemblies.

I.M.H.O. it's a damn clever solution to get around the fact that otherwise the signal would be "washed out" by the headlight. Just something to think about..... anim-cheers1
OK, back to the thread...no high-jack intended.. crossy.gif dancr
Barry Fletcher.."it wasn't me..I've got a twin".
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

BladeRunner wrote:I.M.H.O. it's a damn clever solution to get around the fact that otherwise the signal would be "washed out" by the headlight. Just something to think about.....
I have thought about it and it's a band aid solution to poor design.

I would be very upset if I put the signal on to make a left turn and the left headlight switched off. You need the left headlight most when you are turning left. When we go car shopping in the fall this will be on the list of things the next car must not have.

The people who designed those cars knew the regulations (or if they didn't they should be fired). They should have located the lights appropriately.

Hell, they should be held personally responsible every time someone is injured because a driver couldn't see where they are turning because of this.
Click: Colour schematics for all GL1000 & GL1100 and GL1200 standard models plus instructions on how to download the full size version
wilf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wilf »

Okay someones pulling my leg on this one! Or is a Internet story run wild. I live up in Canada and I don't ever remember Headlights flashing as turn signals!!! I do no that if the headlight burns out on a newer crysler product the signals will not work. But I never noticed one with a flashing headlight!!

Wilf
79 naked wing - not so naked anymore
80 interstate project very naked now
90 1500 heartbreaker
Sidecar Bob
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Sidecar Bob »

The headlights on these vehicles don't flash. They just turn off when the signal is in use like the running lights in Honda bike turn signals do.

And I still think its a stupid solution for poor design. With all the real estate there is on the front of even the smallest car there's no excuse for having the turn signals too close to the headlights.
sunnbobb
Facebook Admin
Facebook Admin
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/sunnbobb/

Post by sunnbobb »

Hmm. That does sound on the ludicrous side.
I found the end of the internet

---- Bradshaw Bikes custom polishing for your wing. Visit us on facebook!

1978 Learning Experience
1980 County Road Hauler "Brain Damage"
1978 Cafe Custom Gl1000 "Vyper"
1977 Bulldog Inspired "Vaincre"
1981 Street Fighter GL1100 "No Quarter"
1983 Supercharged Street Drag "Anubis" (in worx)
1983 gl1100 mint restoration "Kristen"
1985 Aspencade..pondering.
steve pilon
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member
My Album: http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll262/officer66

Post by steve pilon »

i would love to have the parts that arent going back on, may i
it is better to do something then not
jdvorchak
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by jdvorchak »

Being seen? I have a friend who is a fireman. Their big red truck with flashing lights and siren screaming got hit a couple of years ago at an intersection! The offending driver was quoted as saying "I didn't see ya"... Trouble is that guy is allowed to have off-spring...
New users please visit our "Shop Talk" for common tips and help:
http://ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST

Don't fix it 'til it's broke...
The person with the most toys wins!
If it has wheels or a skirt you can't afford it.
Amateur Radio Station WW9L

71 CL350 with Bingham side car
2021 HD Triglide
2008 HD Dyna Low Rider
83 KZ1100L1 Son totaled it
83 KZ550LTD Shaft sold

Previous bikes: 84 GL1200 STD, 83 KZ550LTD, 83 CB1000, 78 CB400A, 82 CB900F, 79 CB750K, 2001 GL1800, 2000 Dyna Super Glide, 1972 CB350 K4, 1985 GL1200A, 1997 1200 Sportster, 84 GL1200I, 82 Honda CM400E, 81 Suzuki GS650L, 72 Triumph Bonneville 750, 72 Honda CB350, 66(?) Honda 305 Scrambler, 6? Yamaha yz250, 62 650 Matchless (Norton-Villers).
John
duke182
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!
My Album: http://ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/duke182/

Post by duke182 »

roady
i think the modification to your lights looks good.
if i was using signal lights and the stock taillight i think i woud copy your effort.

yeah i know, it aint safe and it aint legal in most places but im running a tail light from an old bsa on the left with no signals.
i use hand signals . and hope that the cagers around me remember them from those days of bicycle safety in grade school. lolol ha ha ha!
i guess the best advice is to build your bike your way, ride with your head on a swivel, and dont bitch about the fines if you get caught for an equipment violation.
customs rule
duke182
God bless those who protect our freedom, at every level

Knees in the breeze makes miles of smiles

"Strive for progress, not perfection"-a wise man

1984 1200 standard
click pic to see my gallery

vote in my poll
evilratwing
Silver Member
Silver Member
My Album: http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing

Post by evilratwing »

duke182 wrote:i use hand signals . and hope that the cagers around me remember them from those days of bicycle safety in grade school. lolol ha ha ha!
i guess the best advice is to build your bike your way, ride with your head on a swivel
I replaced my dim incandescent tail with a 26-LED unit and I've got somewhat bright turn signals... and as our DMV booklet suggests, I assume only that I am invisible and therefore use extreme caution when making any directional changes. I, too, use hand signals.. in conjunction with head-swiveling and turn signals.

Cagers are too busy yakking on their phones, facebooking and texting to pay any attention to anything anymore. It's downright scary sometimes.
The bike is essentially just another bike... The pilot is CRAZY.

http://www.photobucket.com/evil03ratwing
Whargoul - Murdered out 1978 GL1000 - Engine KaBOOM.
Cherry Cough Syrup - 2009 Suzuki M90 - 3,300 miles.
Mr G
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Post by Mr G »

I like Winnies butt.

I am sure this guy will be seen.
http://occforeclosure.net/1975/1975-gl1 ... -fritz.htm
Gerhardt
Seek first to understand, then to be understood