Turn signal relocation

From basic novice to the hard core cutomizing. Sharing tips, tricks and knowledge. Feel
free to ask question or give us your "2 cents".

Moderators: sunnbobb, Neil, Forum Moderators

mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Turn signal relocation

Post by mensor »

Hey all. First of all, happy 4th! anim-cheers1 At the risk of departing yet further from the OE look, I’m considering moving my rear turn signals up and in on the fender (ditching the stalks). I see a lot of other 78-9s on here that have done so. Anyone willing to share some close up pics of/wisdom regarding your turn signal mods? Thanks!
“I may be going to hell in a bucket, but at least I’m enjoying the ride”

'78 GL1000 “Ramblin’ Rose”
Barrie
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

Re: Turn signal relocation

Post by Barrie »

Do you mean near the rear of the seat? I have connected the TSI to the grab rail, which had mounting points for this. Isn't that standard for certain years?
1976 Gran' Luxe 1000. Once red, now orange, soon yellow...
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

Yessir, that’s what I’m thinking. I don’t think my 78 grab rail has those mount points though. So I suppose my question should be: what are the differences from year to year regarding turn signal location and mounting points? And can I easily mod mine to attach to the rail?

Jonesz
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jonesz »

the turn signals on 78-79's do not attach to the rail. I believe the rail off early models will fit your bike but all of these rails are "unobtainium" from time to time. Every once in a while one comes on here for sale or you could post an ad in the wanted section, watch Ebay etc. If I had your bike I would not alter the rail that you have as they are hard to replace and you can bet a future buyer would like the original. Or you might change your mind later on. You could offer to trade yours for on off a pre 78 bike in the want ad. Just my 2 cents worth
Jonesz

1983 GL1100 Aspencade named "Freki" currently undergoing change to a standard. Sold
1999 Valkyrie CT 1500 goes by the moniker "Valerie"
1978 Gl1000 "Loki" new project going to be a Cafe Convertible
1979 Suzuki GS850. Sold
mensor
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by mensor »

Appreciate the input Jonesz. You’re absolutely right; It was hard enough to find an OE rail. I don’t want to permanently mod it if I can help it