Scooped up an 85 aspencade for $150 DELIVERED, figured I'd come here to document the progress and ask dumb questions.

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

extremeodd
Tin Member
Tin Member

Scooped up an 85 aspencade for $150 DELIVERED, figured I'd come here to document the progress and ask dumb questions.

Post by extremeodd »

I'm fairly new to owning motorcycles but I've been wrenching for 15+ years. Last month scooped up an 81 virago for $75 and got it running/driving for just $130-150 which inspired me to keep a keen eye out for good bike deals.
As luck would have it a 85 Honda Goldwing GL1200 Aspencade popped up on craigslist for $150 + delivery fees. Talked to him and
The transmission, brakes and electrical are all good. I was actually riding this bike early this year. One of the timing belt covers worked lose and the belt ate the cover gasket, jumping a few teeth in the process. I got it readjusted, but it still wouldn't start so I suspect bent valves. Other issues are it needs new tires. They both slowly go flat. Front fork seals are shot. It has an aftermarket alternator kit on it so the original stator is probably bad. The left mirror is taped/glued in place. Blue was not the original color. It was rather amatureishly done and looks better at a distance. Gas in the tank has been there since about mid summer. Also, the carbs are in desperate need of a good time up and sync.
Offered him $150 delivered since I live just a few miles away and after a day of "someone else is coming" I got the message saying "you can have it for the price you offered if you're still interested" so I lept on it.

It'll be getting brought by tomorrow morning at 8am. Once I tear into it some I'll post a thread documenting my progress. I'm quite excited to say the least!

Here is a pic from the ad.
00Y0Y_fYdyk93fDRi_1200x900.jpg
00Y0Y_fYdyk93fDRi_1200x900.jpg (151.17 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Last edited by extremeodd on Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Scooped up an 85 aspencade for $150 DELIVERED, figured I'd come here to document the progress and ask dumb questions

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

ShopTalk has lots of info.

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Re: Scooped up an 85 aspencade for $150 DELIVERED, figured I'd come here to document the progress and ask dumb questions

Post by desertrefugee »

Good grief, man. If it turns over, and looks that good, you're already ahead of the game.

Welcome and good luck with the project.

By the way, your property looks like familiar turf. Are you in the Southwest? (You should put your locale in your profile so that nearby folks can speak up and/or offer parts/assistance or lie swapping.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Looks like a good project; hopefully the engine didn't suffer any catastrophic damage.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
extremeodd
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by extremeodd »

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've gone ahead and updated my location, was waiting to do that until I had the bike in the garage. I didn't need anyone coming in and sniping my CL deal.

However, I got the bike this morning and my super beater buying abilities are more powerful than I imagined.

Not only does it NOT have ANY internal damage from the belt jumping a couple of teeth, but the ONLY thing stopping it from starting was a bad fuel pump relay. Literally took 30 mins from drop off to getting it fired up and I've NEVER even touched a goldwing in my life.

The only current thing stopping me from taking a test ride is a bad float bowl gasket on one carb leaking like a sieve.

I've started a thread documenting my progress here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=69737&p=758559
calif wingnut
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by calif wingnut »

The alt conversion alone was worth the asking price.
desertrefugee
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by desertrefugee »

I thought so! We are neighbors as I'm over here in Chandler. Give me a shout if you need a hand some weekend or just moral support.
- Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass. It's about learning to ride in the rain.
HOTT
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.php/wingmans/HOTT

Post by HOTT »

ROCK ON !! action1 action1
Welcome

HOTT
If we can't fix it, we can fix it so no one else can.
the Condor BOTY 2011
Ol' Sparky BOTM Dec. 2011
Lucky #13 BOTY 2018
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

change the timing belts if not already done. sounds like you got a steal
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS