It's JamePal Fault

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

PDub
Cast Iron Member
Cast Iron Member

It's JamePal Fault

Post by PDub »

Okay, maybe it's not really Jim's fault, but if anything I am great at rationalization :-D

Phil here from Annapolis. I’ve had several bikes since I was young (long ago my kids tell me) and about four years ago I bid what I thought was a ridiculously low, I’ll never win, what the heck, price for a CB175 that happened to be within 90 minutes of where I live. Who’d a thunk, but I won and waited until my wife was out of town to sneak out and pick it up with my son. As we’re headed out, son asks “Dad, aren’t you worried about the ice storm?” Me: “What ice storm?” Eight hours later after one of the worst drives of my life (and I’m from Michigan), I’m home with an ice covered truck and motorcycle that doesn’t run, and a not-too-happy-wife.

The whole experience led me to the Honda Twins site where some guy named JamesPal is posting a lot of useful information and eventually mentions he’s on the naked GoldWing’s site. Says something like “A lot of great guys over there where I post my GoldWing project.” Sounds interesting so I check it out.

I quickly decide I have to have one because unlike my other running bike (Honda Hawk GT), on a GoldWing I can actually ride comfortably and with the aforementioned wife two up. See, I’m really doing it for her! So I look around (not telling her a thing naturally) with the express goal of “Not buying a project”. So I find a 1976 red GL1000 that's in great shape with 13,000 original miles. The owner is the second owner and loves the bike, but feels it might be time for him to get a trike. This isn’t an easy decision for him and after a lot of back and forth I drive five hours to pick it up. It’s in great condition, it runs, but needs some carb work which I of course tell myself will be an easy fix, what with my mechanical aptitude and all.

So in late April I bring it home and wife is definitely not happy. I tell her how great it will be for just the two of us as we ride through the countryside on warm summer days, watching golden sunsets while visiting romantic B&Bs. I tell her how smart I was to NOT buy another project but something we’ll immediately enjoy (after I get that little carb issue sorted out). I’m usually a “better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission” kind of guy but I may be wrong this time. I’m reminded of all my other projects and priorities for the summer which take precedent over “wasting time working on some old bike”. I assure her that won’t be a problem.

So now it’s September, I’ve finally cleared most of my other priorities, and I have this beautiful GL1000 I’ve yet to ride. I’ve surfed here enough here to decide to send the carbs to Pistol Pete for a rebuild. When the wife wasn't looking, I changed the timing belts because as we all know, IF YOU DON’T YOUR BIKE WILL EXPLODE (just kidding, it’s good advice and I’m glad I did it). I've also replaced the idler pulleys with the Sonata mod, adjusted the valves, replaced the points and retimed it at least twice. Everything has come apart like it's a new bike with a quarter turn to break it free and then finger tight. When the carbs came back I did some polishing and reinstalled them again following the tech instructions on this site. It really does look great!

This is the good part of my story. If/when I start my project log and earn the privilege of posting pictures, I’ll discuss my minor (?) engine fire, possible affect on my newly rebuilt barbs (#4 won't idle), and continuing coolant leak which all prevent me from riding.

Thanks for having me!
"Looks and functionality are two different issues. It's like buying what appears to be a showroom kept bike and you get that "wow that's a bike I want" feeling, then you get it home and start the maintenance and voila, here come the skeletons from the closet." - Rednaxs60

1976 GL1000
1988 NT650 (Hawk GT)
1971 CB175
1965 S90
1972(?) CT90
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Re: It's JamePal Fault

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Sounds like you've had a bit of 'fun' with your bike already, lol! Can't wait to see some pics!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
5speed
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by 5speed »

welcome. great introduction too.
1982 1100 standard. (sold)
1986 Yamaha FJ1200
2000 Yamaha Roadstar
1976 GoldWing. running but not on the road
1978 Goldwing. future cafe project.
2019 Can-Am ryker (boss's new ride)

2002 Shadow American Classic(sold)
1983 Shadow 500. (sold)
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Good story too.
Welcome.
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
pidjones
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by pidjones »

Welcome! Engine fire? This I've gotta hear. Pete will do you right on the carbs. Communicate with him, and I'm sure he will walk you through troubleshooting.
"Love 'em all.... let God sort 'em out!"
Ex 2006 GL1800 - the Black Pearl SOLD! to make room for:
2021 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited Dark Chalk Metallic
1975 Red GL1000 project - ex Pistol Pete project
1972 Triumph T150V Trident rescue - finished and FOR SALE!
1976 Yamaha RD400c
1978 GL1000 with '75 engine - the Hunley
Ex 1978 GL1000
Ex 1979 GL1000
Ex '79 CB750F rat bike
Ex '86 SEi
Ex '77 GL1000
Ex '76 RD400
Ex '72 Penton 125 set up for flat track
Ex '73 RD250
Ex '68 TR6C - chopped
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Lots of good info in ShopTalk ….

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

welcome to NGW, glad to have you aboard
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Behemoth
Zinc Member
Zinc Member

Post by Behemoth »

Welcome!
JamesPal
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Post by JamesPal »

Dang PDub, It's been a long time since I've posted on this site. You made me remember how much fun it is. I've stopped working on the '81 GL for the last few years, no good reason for it, other than I've been riding the '85 a lot and the CB450. It is to a point where it needs the engine clear coated and then put it back together. Just waiting for warmer weather and I will be back posting on this site. THX
"If everything is under control you are not going fast enough" - Mairo Andretti

'85 GL1200I
'81 GL1100 STD
'72 CB450