Proud new owner of an ’85 GL1200 LTD

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Re: Proud new owner of an ’85 GL1200 LTD

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

As you see there's lots of help here .... you have some serious plans there .... keep an eye on the bottom of the page for related threads ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
ronvdm
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ronvdm »

Hello again everyone. I have put together a list of the tools I will apparently need when working on my GL1200 LTD. Please let me know if you think that I have missed anything or if I have included any tools that I do not need or do not need right away. The list is as follows:

1. JIS standard cross point screw driver
2. Castle nut remover or Park FR-6 tool
3. 3/8 and 1/2 inch torque wrench
4. Multimeter
5. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 27 mm wrenches/sockets
6. Set of six point sockets
7. Selection of deep sockets
8. 3/8 inch hex drivers
9. Long handle needle nose pliers - 11 inch minimum
10. Pro Point ratcheting crimp tool (Princess Auto)
11. OEM style connectors
12. Breaker bar
13. Heat gun
14. Long pry bar
15. Blind bearing puller
16. Ultrasonic cleaner
17. Motorcycle tire changer
18. Hydraulic roll cart
19. Motorcycle jack and Floor jack
20. Mig welder
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

ronvdm wrote:Hello again everyone. I have put together a list of the tools I will apparently need when working on my GL1200 LTD. Please let me know if you think that I have missed anything or if I have included any tools that I do not need or do not need right away. The list is as follows:

1. JIS standard cross point screw driver - set of three would be best
2. Castle nut remover or Park FR-6 tool
3. 3/8 and 1/2 inch torque wrench - PA has these on sale quite often
4. Multimeter
5. 8, 10, 12, 14, 17, 27 mm wrenches/sockets
6. Set of six point sockets
7. Selection of deep sockets
8. 3/8 inch hex drivers
9. Long handle needle nose pliers - 11 inch minimum
10. Pro Point ratcheting crimp tool (Princess Auto)
11. OEM style connectors
12. Breaker bar
13. Heat gun - PA cheapy
14. Long pry bar
15. Blind bearing puller - need the set that can remove the swing arm bearing race - 42 mm I think
16. Ultrasonic cleaner - nice to have not essential
17. Motorcycle tire changer
18. Hydraulic roll cart
19. Motorcycle jack and Floor jack
20. Mig welder - nice to have - would like one myself
If you buy the Stanley tool kit it has most of what you will need regarding sockets, shallow and deep, as well as 1/8, 3/8 and 1/2 inch sockets, with the hex drivers needed.

Cheers
"When writing the Story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen."

Ernest

1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
ronvdm
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ronvdm »

Thanks once again, Ernest!!! :-D
77Gowing
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by 77Gowing »

Don't ferget the wheelbarrow of Canadian bucks$$ you'll need to do this. But no matter you & your brother are doing it for the joy of it. action1 action1 action1
"Less is More" Anonymous

77Gowing
1977 GL1000 "O'le Blue." (sold :crying)
2014 Yamaha 950 V Star (sold)
2017 Indian Scout Std w/ABS (sold)
2009 Honda VTX1300R "Me Brudder's" (sold)
1984 Honda Interstate "84' 2outa4." Gone
1982 Honda GL1100 "After thought." Gone
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Ron, mine was an '84 Aspencade. I used an '83 shelter and a modified 1100 Blackbird seat. The rest is a combination of home made and universal E-Bay (ie cheap) parts. The biggest hassle will be the wiring. I spent hours and hours cutting, soldering and heat shrinking the extra redundant wires. The most expensive part of the whole build (aside from the initial purchase) was the paint.
Mike Coleman
'84 Wing-Lite (ex-Aspencade)
'84 un-Terstate
'84 Standard (as yet un-named)
Attachments
AUG 20 2013 WING  (27).JPG
AUG 20 2013 WING (27).JPG (383.97 KiB) Viewed 396 times
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Nice bike.

The issue with the '85 LTD is all the extra components for the fuel injected system such as the ECU. It's a fairly big unit and to find another place in a design such as yours is going to be difficult. Lot of wiring and components are interdependent on the '85 LTD such as the travel computer, not required to operate the bike, but necessary for some of the gauge readings.

Another consideration is the fuel system light. From what I have found on these bikes the ECU uses this indicator like a check engine light. Lots to consider.

A forum site to visit regarding the '85 LTD FI system is: http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/a ... rum-7.html You will have to set up an account to see the information. Lots to go through and may be of assistance.

Cheers

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Mike-C
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Mike-C »

Gents;
I missed that little detail. I would imagine that the easiest course of action would be to toss the fuelie system and replace it with a set of carburetors.
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
Mike Coleman
North Lancaster, Ontario
Canada
ronvdm
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ronvdm »

Mike-C wrote:Ron, mine was an '84 Aspencade. I used an '83 shelter and a modified 1100 Blackbird seat. The rest is a combination of home made and universal E-Bay (ie cheap) parts. The biggest hassle will be the wiring. I spent hours and hours cutting, soldering and heat shrinking the extra redundant wires. The most expensive part of the whole build (aside from the initial purchase) was the paint.
Mike Coleman
'84 un-Terstate
That's a great looking bike, Mike. My brother and I are both artists so I think we will give the painting a try ourselves. I mean, what's the worst that can happen :) Worst case scenario, we fail and then I have to send it off for painting :lol: . All the best, Ron.
ronvdm
Tin Member
Tin Member

Post by ronvdm »

Rednaxs60 wrote:Nice bike.

The issue with the '85 LTD is all the extra components for the fuel injected system such as the ECU. It's a fairly big unit and to find another place in a design such as yours is going to be difficult. Lot of wiring and components are interdependent on the '85 LTD such as the travel computer, not required to operate the bike, but necessary for some of the gauge readings.

Another consideration is the fuel system light. From what I have found on these bikes the ECU uses this indicator like a check engine light. Lots to consider.

A forum site to visit regarding the '85 LTD FI system is: http://www.gl1200goldwings.com/gl1200/a ... rum-7.html You will have to set up an account to see the information. Lots to go through and may be of assistance.

Cheers
Thank you Rednaxs60. I am surprised that I did not come across that site during my internet search. I applied for membership and I am waiting to hear back. Looks like there is a lot of good information there. Thanks again, Ron.
Cooper
Lead Member
Lead Member

Post by Cooper »

Maybe it's too late but please don't "kill" that LTD ! It's a rare version and collectors item in the future !
Liam
True Blue Steel Biker
True Blue Steel Biker

Post by Liam »

You have scored a lucky find with an LTD for $600. Well done on that.
You are also doing something really great with your brother, I really like that and it says a lot about you.
Brotherly love knows no bounds.

The 1200 LTD is not a simple machine. It is however quite a collectible machine, and in my view it would be a pity
to rip it apart to make a naked machine.
There are a lot of systems on this machine which make it in my view not the easiest to work with, particularly
as this is your first attempt. You have the whole bodywork issue, the fuel injection system and all the ancillaries,
the electrical system, wiring looms, the computer system under the trunk, and various other things to contend with.
It would not be impossible, but not easy either.
If it were mine, I would clean it up, service it get it running and then sell it on and it should make maybe $3000.
You would then have a nice budget to work with to purchase and work with a simpler machine.
ritalz
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ritalz »

+1, well said Liam
Al

2003 Goldwing Daily Rider
1975 Goldwing 'Max'
1984 Goldwing New Bagger Project
1976 Goldwing 'Grocery Getter' Sold
1985 Goldwing Interstate 'NCC-1985' sold
1981 Silverwing Sold
1982 Goldeing Project Sold
1981 Goldwing Parted Out
1983 Goldwing Project Sold
1973 CB500F Long Gone
1966 CL77 First Street Bike
http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... ans/ritalz
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

ritalz wrote:+1, well said Liam
+1 from me too.

Not necessarily biting off more than you can chew, but you gonna be chewing on gristle a long time!
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
Rednaxs60
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Just finished putting my second LTD on the road after it sat for 4 years. As mentioned, not an easy task, but with some good planning and research, can be done and at a reasonable cost. The plus for me is the fuel injection because it is, in my opinion, easier to keep going than the carb models. Fuel injectors are inexpensive to replace. Fuel pumps are available from auto wreckers and there are new aftermarket units that can be made to fit/work. The TPS is the only real challenge as these are no longer available, but there is a work around. The ECU could be an issue, but not a lot of chatter on the forums regarding failures. The rest of the sensors are similar to the carb models.

Collectible, maybe, asking a good price you may keep for a while. These are 34 year old bikes and regardless of maintenance history these bikes will need work. Bearings do not last forever and should be changed if not indicated.

Suspension is always a good discussion item on an older bike. Many have never been renewed or updated. On a 34 year old bike, if this is the case, renew or upgrade of the suspension is a safety and performance issue. Tires last longer, you'll enjoy the ride much better.

There will always be unknowns when putting one of these older bikes back on the road regardless of make. The last year for the 1500s puts these bikes at 18 years old. My second '85 LTD was on schedule to come in on my budget, but a few hiccups, rear air shocks not working and a starter issue had to be addressed.

You paid $600.00 for the LTD. Setting a budget of $2400.00 to get the bike on the road with items such as new tires, battery, rebuild brake calipers, rebuild clutch slave cylinder. Change front fork oil, new wheel bearings, steering stem bearings, brake pads, and other items. Having a bike as good as the LTD on the road and operating well for around $3000.00 is a good deal, and will provide you with a lot of trouble free miles.

What you can make on resale is also dependent on where you are located. There are a couple of bikes in BC of the same and the price is quite substantial. You can spend $4000.00 on a 34 year old bike or on a newer bike.

Best of luck. Cheers

Ernest

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
2008 GL1800 (sold)