HELP! A GL Avalanche!

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Rich Inrust
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

HELP! A GL Avalanche!

Post by Rich Inrust »

Greetings.
This all started with a simple search, for a simple project bike… I just wanted an old beater to fix up and ride around the open Nevada desert roads, and do some camping. HA!

I’ve always liked them, so I put the word out amongst friends for what I was looking for, and then suddenly came into a windfall of GLs!
None running...
Two full ’76s. (one with a, recently freed, seized engine)
Two more lightly picked at for parts, ’75 and ’78, engines both fully intact.
’89 and ’90, 1500 engines with VERY low miles, but no carbs.
And it looks like I may be getting another full ’76 and ’78!
All for free, or next to nothing!
Whew…
I’m fairly mechanically inclined (but it’s been awhile), have been looking for EXACTLY this kind of project as I re-organize and clean my metal shop and tools, have the time (but maybe not the full budget… …yet)…

…and I’m suddenly VERY overwhelmed!!
My excitement has turned to terror! HAHA!

I want to rebuild as many of these engines back to glory as possible. Probably not fully restored bikes (these are in pretty rough cosmetic shape, and missing some stuff, and I don’t want to upset any traditionalist/restorationists), but definitely back on the rode, and strong again! Even to the point of possibly getting one of these 1500s into a custom trike in the future.
So, you see where I’m going with this, I think.
I’M ALREADY HOOKED ON GOLDWINGS!!! LOVE ‘EM!! HAHAHA!!
My question is:

Do you have any suggestions on how one might even begin to organize such a task?!!
Go after one bike at a time?…
All at once, mixing and matching parts to make the best of all the bikes?…
Scrap the entire cockamamy idea, sell everything for parts, and buy a bus pass?…
I’m suddenly very confused by the overwhelming options, and would really just like some opinions and advice from some pros, and fans of this awesome machine.

If it were you who just had a “lotto” of a half dozen fairly decent “barn finds”, a slim budget, the space, the shop, the tools, all the time in the world, a hankering for a home hobby bike business, and a cult like love of the Honda GL, what would YOU do to organize, assess, and tackle these potential projects?

Thanks!
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: HELP! A GL Avalanche!

Post by salukispeed »

Welcome to the wingdome. That is a lot to work with. I like the idea of cherrypicking the best of the pieces with clear titles. and try to get one nice or at least daily driver bike and after that then see what you have to work with next.
My biggest question is why I never come across this sort of thing. . Good luck with your dilema.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Sagebrush
Run Executive
Run Executive
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/album269/

Post by Sagebrush »

Your budget seems to dictate mix and match particularly among the G1000s. The only thing that I can think of on a 1500 that will work on a 1000 is the coils, other than that nada.
Dean Spalding
Raleigh, NC

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

'82 Yellow GL1100
'81 Blue GL1100

My Gallery
My 1100 Build Thread
ericheath
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by ericheath »

Take your time. With the internet and all the knowledgeable gentlepersons here, you can get most anything done.
Whatever I suggest here should be given ample time for a moderator to delicately correct. I apologize in advance.
77 WING, 1200 engine with 77 heads, cams, gl1100 foot pegs, Magna V65 front end, 764A carbs, [-gone Suzuki M109 monoshock--, replaced with gl1100 shocks] gl 1200 swing arm, gl1500 final drive, wheel and rear brakes Valkyrie seat, Meanstreak tank, Sportster pipes, Power Arc ignition off crank.
77 Wing. black
83 Wing, in pieces
"Continuing education is important even if the subject matter is fairly useless (as in this case)."---Greg Foresi
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

rich the first thing is titles
which one has a title.. go to the DMV & get the title transferred into your name.
do that first.
trust me on this.... get it put into your name before doing any work or spending money on it. shakehands
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
salukispeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by salukispeed »

I'm with Fish with Titles. Otherwise there just rolling parts bins.
Honda 72 CL100 sold
74 CB750 K4 nice driver
1966 CA77/305 Dream nostalgic driver
84 GL1200I work in progress
1970 CT 70
1982 GL500 Interstate
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

I'd get one of the 1000s roadworthy (and titled) and ride it while you work on the rest.

That way you'll have some fun and also get some ideas of what you'd like to do with the rest.

AND you could come on one of our rides and meet some awesome bikes ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
hoganJr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hoganJr »

sell the 1500 engines to buy stuff that you can't pick from the 1000s like new tires, C5 ignition, new belts, carb rebuild kit...
HoganJr
1991 GL1500
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

welcome to ngw....
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

Welcome from Wisconsin! Focus, lad, focus, lol!
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
Rich Inrust
Rusty Probie
Rusty Probie

Post by Rich Inrust »

Thank you, all!
Luckily, however not making these decisions any easier, is the ease in which Nevada allows for titling salvaged vehicles after rebuilding them. I made a point to get as much ridiculous info that I could on these bikes, and the sellers, and the previous owners, if any of that info existed. I think I'm fairly covered as far as registration goes. However, two of them do have clean titles.
I'm still not exactly certain where to start, but I do appreciate the suggestions so far!
Another question...
I have been researching a little, but would also like your opinions on this matter...
Out of what I have, '75, '76s, a '78, an '89, and a '90, which are the more coveted models, and for what reasons?
Thanks!
fish
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by fish »

everybody says the early ones are lighter,smaller and more powerfull-- sport oriented (for a goldwing)
I assume the 89 & 90 are 'dressers?
Timothy Mark Fisher
Catalina Arizona
"ride it.. don't be one of those guys who will fix it 'til it's broken" (JDVorchek)
"It is not logic or economics that drive a motorcyclist but passion!" (bugdaddy66)
"I fully agree with fish, well at least 27% of the time."(Casper)
"Why do you have to ruin a perfectly good thread with common sense"(Placerville)
"my best guess for an answer would be a stream of complex expletives" (Transitman)
"I like a cold beer with my beer" (OldeWing)
"Most of us like the sport of wrenching too." (fred camper)
"Now go ride the heck out of it, til mother says do your chores"(Gowing)
"I agree with Fish" (Salukispeed)
rcmatt007
Treasurer
Treasurer
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rcmatt007/

Post by rcmatt007 »

78s are the best looking. Imho
-Rodger-
all it takes for evil to prosper is the want of a few good men to do nothing-Edmund Burke
The question is not how much time do you have, it is what you do with the time that you have Gandalf
"One of the greatest dignities of humankind is that each successive generation is invested in the welfare of each new generation." Fred Rodgers
"it takes 10,000 hours to become an expert" ancient saying
78 constantly modified/customized since 1978, BOTM June 2015 de-evolving this very moment viewtopic.php?f=30&t=65511
76 Ltd "cookies bike" ALMOST DONE
79 project, finished, FOR SALE
'86 1200 (Beth's)(FOR SALE) with motorvation sidecar (sidecar sold) , July 2017 BOTM
'17 HD Road king and 08 HD Heritage softail (Beth's) (FOR SALE). I guess you can say we have MBS
Track T 2411
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/Track+T+2411/

Post by Track T 2411 »

"Most coveted" is really a matter of opinion. Realistically, there are only a few years/models that might be considered 'collectable.' A very low number '75, '76(?) Sulphur Yellow, and '76 LTD's can bring some fairly good money, but it's all relative.
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein

"He that is good with a hammer tends to think everything is a nail" - Abraham Maslow

"If you can't take the time to do it right the first time, how are you ever going to find the time to do it over?" -Unknown

Current Rides:
'Grumpy' - '81 Standard, now fully dressed.
'Layla' - '81 Standard w/dealer installed fairing and Hondaline bags.
'Scarlett' '76 'Survivor' nekkid as a j-bird!

Under Construction:
The 'Jalopy' '78-'79 Mash-up
'Quikie' '81 gl1100I back on the lift, project with the step-son!

In The Shed:
'81 gl1100I barn find aka "Josie, the farmer's daughter." (almost comatose build)
'77 gl1000, roller parts bike.
'82 gl1100I, 'Old Crusty' titled roller parts bike (free!)
'82 gl1100I, My first 'Wing, and an expensive lesson!
New2U Bike? Read Me.
tomk1960
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tomk1960 »

rcmatt007 wrote:78s are the best looking. Imho
I have to agree. I like the bodywork a little more than the earlier GL's, but the '78 still has the nicer looking, original round turn signals, which went away in '79. It's all a matter of taste though.
1986 VFR750F Interceptor
1983 Honda CB1100F Super Sport - Red 1123 Resto-Mod
1978 Honda GL1000

Return to “Welcome and Introductions”