Changing belts?

Feel free to introduce yourself, tell us about your bike or just say hello. Members, say Hello and Welcome to our new members.

Moderators: Neil, redwood, rcmatt007, Forum Moderators

Interstater55
Brass Member
Brass Member

Changing belts?

Post by Interstater55 »

I'm new to this forum and forum's in general so I'm learning. The 1st time I visited NGW I noticed quite a bit about change your belts! I can appreciate that belts can go bad but my 82 interstate seems to run fine and has low miles. I have recently finished some basic work on her, (oil, filter, pads all around and changing brake fluid plus a rear tire repair) and really enjoyed doing the work. I have spent most of my life in sales, very little mechanic work. But now I've got the bug big time. I want to do the front engine renewal but fear it may be too much for my mechanical know-how. Also I just didn't know how big GW ownership was and perusing this site and others makes me want to just work on bikes all day and even ride too of course. So.....how important is it to do this project? I don't have a lot of time, or money either, or that many tools for that matter, I raised 5 kids, mostly on my own, youngest 23 now, so I'm ready!
Last edited by Interstater55 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
82 1100 Interstate
chrisz
Chrome Member
Chrome Member

Re: Changing belts?

Post by chrisz »

Changing belts is very important, your bike may have low miles, but age also plays a big part. Replace them, or have them replaced and ride without thinking about them. If one should break (or stretch too much), you'd be looking for a new engine, but you already know this.
Old Fogey
Honored Life Member
Honored Life Member

Post by Old Fogey »

Hi and welcome from Scotland.
May I suggest that you go to your name at the top of the right hand side of the page where you will find a drop-down to edit your profile etc. Add your location and your bike into there, as it always helps us to help you in future. tumb2

Belt changes are very important. These are what is known as interference engines. In other words, if a belt breaks, you WILL have damage; possibly just a few bent valves, but equally likely you could be looking for another engine if it lets go at speed.
You cannot tell the condition of a belt by looking at it. I cannot stress that enough. A perfect looking belt can snap the same day as you looked. The 'Rule of Thumb' is change every 5 years or 25K miles. That may sound over cautious, but always better safe than sorry. Belts are cheap, the work involved is more laborious than difficult (although here are a few things to watch out for) and you do not need a huge amount of tools.
Check out Shop Talk pages ( http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/page/ST) for all the info on doing your maintenance and the the Tech Tips on my site by clicking the banner below.
"Impossible Is Just a Level of Difficulty!..."
If I'd wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better! (Johann Cruyff)
I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous! :-D
roncar
Vice President
Vice President
My Album: http://www.ngwclub.com/gallery3/index.p ... s/roncarGL

Post by roncar »

A belt failure can be disastrous! If you do not know the age/miles on them, replace.

The belts are not that expensive and changing them is cheap insurance.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?partnum=t274
"I periodically misspell words just to annoy the word police."

Interstater55
Brass Member
Brass Member

Post by Interstater55 »

Thanks! Will update soon.
82 1100 Interstate
chewy999
SUPER BIKER!!!!
SUPER BIKER!!!!

Post by chewy999 »

Put this on your other thread.

Welcome to the club from the UK, not sure where you are. All the help you need can be found here. As regards to the belts, unless you know the history of what's on your bike 100%, change them. If they are old, or done more miles than you realise, they could snap and that leads to one ruined engine. Recommend you do it, not to expensive, and gives you peace of mind.

anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1 anim-cheers1
Previous Rides,
1980 CB250N Good to learn on
1981 CX500 good mid range tourer, went to Austria on it!
1983 GL1100C Pride and joy, sold when I bought my 1st house, big mistake
1985 GL650 Silverwing another mistake, horrible bike
1986 CBX550 Good commuter
1989 Suzuki GS750 (1976) cheap and cheerful until a dog ran out in front of me on Xmas Eve, 1991
Current bikes
2010 CB1300 back on a bike after 19 years, two divorces, children grown up etc
1980 GL1100 NOW ON THE ROAD, still use CB1300.
Rat
Photo Gallery Admin
Photo Gallery Admin
My Album: https://www.ngwclub.com/gallery/v/wingmans/rat/
RIP: cookie

Post by Rat »

Welcome to the 'Wingdom.

Belt change is cheap insurance and a good learning project .... Shop Talk is your friend ....

Gord
"I'd rather Ride than Shine"
‘14 KLR650 ... not a rat ... yet
‘84 GL1200i ‘R2B6' (Rat to Be 6, the last, adopted by twowings)
My Original 'RAT' was a hybrid '82 CB900/1100F
Graham Cracker
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Graham Cracker »

Welcome to NGW club from Pennsylvania...enjoy the ride
Mark

1975 GL 1000 Candy Antares Red
1976 GL 1000 Sulfur Yellow
1977 GL 1000 Pearl White
1978 GL 1000 Candy Limited Maroon